Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2017 RT with the 8 speed Auto. Would like to get more power out of it. I'm not sure where to start. I don't usually mess with performance stuff but my friend got a new Mustang 5.0 and he wont shut up about it. The only thing Ive done to my car is a AEM drop in filter and a hellcat air box mod. The car has an active exhaust on it as well. Not sure if that matters or not but it sounds pretty good/loud. Help me Obi-Wans.

·
Registered
183 Posts
First purchase should be a tuner with an email tune. That should get you 10-20 extra horses. Shorty Headers will get you around 10-15 extra HP while Long Tube Headers will get you 20-30+ HP. Bigger throttle body or CAI will only get you 2-3 HP, but will make the exhaust note louder and deeper.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ditch your open dif, get a 3.09 or 3.70 lsd , no tuning needed. Then go with above , I suggest tires as well. If you want to keep it oem , get the rear dif, Srt shorties , and a 6.4 intake manifold (little bit involved). With all that and a good tune , you’ll really wake her up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,516 Posts
I went the supercharger route which puts out more power to the wheels than a scat pack. Going boosted though is pricey, cost of system not including labor, is ~$7800. The problem you will run into is getting that extra power to the ground.

You could also go with long tube headers but that buys you about ~30hp and costs ~$1200-$1500 + cost of unlocked PCM + cost of tuner + cost of tune + install.

NOS is about the cheapest option but it's like crack...you will always want a hit. >:)

If it bothers you that much, trade up for a scat or find a used HC. I have guys at work with mustangs that used to razz me...until I took them both for a ride...that's when they realized OMG you can actually fit more than 2 people in a challenger and when you nail it coming out of the parking lot you don't lose control and hit a curb or crowd of people. :wink3:

Don't get me wrong, mustangs are great pony cars but I love me a phat ride. :4:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Have a 2017 RT with the 8 speed Auto. Would like to get more power out of it. I'm not sure where to start. I don't usually mess with performance stuff but my friend got a new Mustang 5.0 and he wont shut up about it. The only thing Ive done to my car is a AEM drop in filter and a hellcat air box mod. The car has an active exhaust on it as well. Not sure if that matters or not but it sounds pretty good/loud. Help me Obi-Wans.
Just sell your R/T and buy a 392. Your friend with the Mustang 5.0 will be just staring at your tail lights in awe and you'll be smiling all the way!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions. It seems like the amount of money i put towards making the 5.7 faster I could just as well be putting towards a 392 which is already a beast (and has a warranty) Soooo I think im just going to hold on to my car for a bit and upgrade to a 392 when I see a good deal. I'm just going to enjoy driving the RT until that time. Thanks again, forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts