Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I am new to the forum and new to modding, so please bare with my naivety.

I am looking to get a new exhaust for my 2017 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker 6.4L 392.

I am confused about these two products from Borla (ATAK).

https://www.borla.com/products/challenger_srt_392_scat_pack_catback_exhaust_atak_part__140641.html

https://www.borla.com/products/challenger_srt_392_scat_pack_catback_exhaust_atak_part__140678.html

One has an MDS and the other does not. Do I need the MDS, and if so what purpose (benefit) does it serve? I like having the sport option for the active exhaust and being able to tune it down when I’m in residential areas etc. Will losing the MDS mess with that?

I really appreciate anyone’s thoughts on this, as I don’t want to buy the wrong Borla ATAK set up.

Also, I am considering getting a Corsa Xtreme set up instead, but am on the fence. Anyone have thoughts on the comparison between this and the ATAKs?

Thanks to all!:grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Congratulations on the car and welcome to the forum. I have the same exhaust, wouldn't think of changing anything. BUT there is plenty of people who "speak your language" and be more than happy to give you very good astute advice.
Regardless, you have a fine car..... post a few pics when you can. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Silver Cat! Posting pics here...

When you say you have the same exhaust, do you mean the Borla ATAKs with the MDS? Does this simply mean you keep the active exhaust valves so you don’t throw a CEL?

I really don’t want to mess with messing with them if I can avoid it. Also my muffler shop said that since I have new stainless steal 2.5 inch pipe, that I could save money by just buying the mufflers and deleting my old ones and the resonators? But I wasn’t really able to find the ATAKs by themselves for my vehicle. Any suggestions there?

Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Sorry, I have the stock "active" exhaust. Did you hear that the new R/T has a 2.75" and are trying to catch up.... haha.
I really wouldn't want mine any louder. But someone with experience with those systems will chime in. Kind of late tonight. Whatever you do, keep us posted and I will follow along and see what you do. And don't forget about the pics!

Reactions: frankfooter32

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Sorry, I do know that MDS is when IF you have an automatic transmission it will go into 4 cylinder mode to save fuel.
Not in the exhaust at all. If you have a stick...... you ain't got it. Only with the automatics, that way the "computer" can control the shifts so it can safely go back and forth. Some people hate it and some the sound of saving fuel when they, aren't driving spiritedly.... IF you have the auto on a 2015 or later you can just put it in sport mode and that disables the MDS. Also opens your active exhaust..... right up your alley! Good luck, let me now if I can....help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I do have the 8 speed auto. So I can go either way and I won’t have issues with CEL or performance? If I can still use my sport button for active exhaust, then I don’t see the point in paying the additional $400 for the system with the MDS, unless I am missing something from misunderstanding here?

I appreciate the info, as I am concerned that I will buy the wrong set up and feel like a total idiot lol.

I posted some pics for you to check out above. Hope you like them....:wink3:

Thanks
>:)

·
Registered
582 Posts
You already have a very good exhaust system, and yes it is 2.75”. There are a few options you can go with, none of which will cost you thousands(that money could be spent on better things) most people go with the mid delete , if you don’t like that , you can go dynomax mini bullets , or I myself run Jones chambered mids with mini bullet resonators and long tube headers. Point is , you have a 2.75” exhaust already , and race design (straight through) mufflers and resonators. You can change the sound any way you like. Get a good set of headphones and search through video clips to find your desired sound , or , if you know anyone out your way , its best to hear them in person. Here is a clip of mine with LT’s ,high flow catted mids , Jones chambered, and mini bullets in the rear. https://youtu.be/o-jqWl_L5tE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
One system includes the MDS calibrated valves
The other system includes valve "simulators"

Guessing the simulators means the Exhaust is wide open all the time and the simulators send signal to the ECU so that it does not throw a fault code so the ECU thinks the exhaust valves are working normally even though its wide open all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
As stated your exhaust is 2.75". I wouldn't be so quick to change it out since it will get louder as it breaks in more. And I certainly wouldn't spend thousands on a Borla system.
Ditto!

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
As stated your exhaust is 2.75". I wouldn't be so quick to change it out since it will get louder as it breaks in more. And I certainly wouldn't spend thousands on a Borla system.

Yep, by 5k miles, mine was "louder", especially in Summer weather.

To each their own, but I have no plans on even touching my SP's exhaust. Plenty loud, and a nice sound to my ears

Reactions: frankfooter32

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ronan978,

I already had the resonators deleted, and it’s much louder and sounds pretty good. Just a little too raspy and has some drone to it. I’m afraid if I do the mid muffler delete now it will be way too loud and not that deep muscle car sound I’m after.

I like the way yours sounds at idle, do you have any videos with it revving up? Also how much did your set up cost you?

What would you suggest I do to get that deep growl and keep the raspiness to a minimum (I don’t want it to sound like a Honda when I’m on the freeway lol). Would adding in the bullets mids and resonators help keep the louder system, or am I just going back to the same stock sound if I do that? (Wasting money?)

Thanks for everyone’s great posts! You guys have given me a lot to think about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jazz Blue Scat.

I think you are right, why go changing out 2.75 with 2.75? I already have a great set up. I did however do a resonator delete and don’t know if I should go deleting the mids now. I’m interested in keeping that nice deep sound I got now, but with a little bit more kick at higher RPMs and less drone (there isn’t much now, but there is a little).

I’m thinking of perhaps swapping out the mid and rear mufflers with something after market (since I’ve already deleted the resonators), but am not sure where to look to start. Maybe I just do a change of the rear mufflers first? Or change out the mid mufflers first? Do you guys think by deleting the mid mufflers, that this would be a mistake since I no longer have my resonators?

Thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
Frankfooter32,

I did the mid muffler delete, and kept my rear resonators. I dont have any drone and no raspy sounds.

You could try deleting your mid mufflers and having the rear resonators put back on and see how it sounds before you spent lots of money on a whole other exhaust.

Here is my car at the drag strip with stock exhaust, ill post another link with the mid muffler delete at the track when I go again this year.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Just a heads up on the ATAK. I have 140678. All was good for 6 months but for the last month and half I’m constantly throwing a p121b code which is for the passenger side active exhaust. I’ve been in contact with Borla and while initially dealing with their support I was told I may need a software update from the dealer. I then contacted a different person that I know there who put me touch with a different support person who said there was a new pipe update and they are gonna send me new pipes.

So I’m waiting for the pipes right now to see what happens. But according to him they have seen this problem before so I’m hoping whatever I get sent fixes the issue.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Ronan978,

I already had the resonators deleted, and it’s much louder and sounds pretty good. Just a little too raspy and has some drone to it. I’m afraid if I do the mid muffler delete now it will be way too loud and not that deep muscle car sound I’m after.

I like the way yours sounds at idle, do you have any videos with it revving up? Also how much did your set up cost you?

What would you suggest I do to get that deep growl and keep the raspiness to a minimum (I don’t want it to sound like a Honda when I’m on the freeway lol). Would adding in the bullets mids and resonators help keep the louder system, or am I just going back to the same stock sound if I do that? (Wasting money?)

Thanks for everyone’s great posts! You guys have given me a lot to think about.
Hi Frankfooter, do you happen to have a video of how your car sounds with that setup? I can find plenty of mid muffler delete videos but it's hard to find videos of reso deletes. I'm really curious how it is.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Yep, by 5k miles, mine was "louder", especially in Summer weather.

To each their own, but I have no plans on even touching my SP's exhaust. Plenty loud, and a nice sound to my ears

The BEST of sounds!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Luigi355

How do you like the sound of the ATAKs? How does it compare to your stock exhaust? Did you do a mid muffler delete before moving to the ATAK setup? Also, do you not have any control of your active exhaust with the 140678?

I appreciate the heads up on the new pipes. I suppose I’ll have to check into that if I do end up going with this set up. Who did you buy yours from?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blackhemi41

I don’t have a good sounding video yet, as I took one with my iphone and not sure it captures the sound well. It does sound quite a bit louder (about 2 times as loud). I do like the loudness, but I am after a little bit more of that deep growl sound (thus checking my other options).

I will post a new video tomorrow for you to hear the reso delete.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Burn133

Here’s the shit part of my story. I went in to get a mid muffler delete. The muffler shop did a reso delete instead and I didn’t realize it until I got home. They didn’t leave me with the resonators, so I’m out those now. That’s the reason I’m considering going another route now. It still is loud and has little to no drone, but I still think I can get it sounding a little bit more beefy.

Given my jacked up situation, do you think deleting the mids now would be foolish? I don’t want to delete them and have the thing be crazy loud now (without the resonators also). Maybe I could get some nice after market resonators and do the mid muffler delete. Any suggestions on a good set of resonators to do this?

I like the video you posted. I guess you don’t really realize how loud our cars are until you hear them from a video or outside when someone else is driving. Look forward to your other video.

What are your thoughts on Borla vs Corsa? Anything better suited for our cars?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts