Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I traded my 2017 SXT Plus for a 2017 Scat Pack. I searched for a long time to find a Picth Black Scat Pack in the same condition and mileage as my SXT. I found the exact car at a price I could afford and also a decent trade value. I was able to trade with only a small increase in my payments and also my insurance only went up $15 a month. I don't drive the car every day as I have a company car so the Challenger has been sitting in the garage. I took the car out this past Sunday and after an hour's drive I came home and left the car running and there was a grinding noise from under the hood. After a bit of research, it seems to come from the water pump, I checked the pulley and it did have a bit of play in it. The car has 13k miles and will be dropping it off at my local Dodge dealer to check it out. Has any other owner had a water pump fail so soon? I liked my SXT but I love the Scat Pack. FYI, I did not hear the noise when I picked up the car and had it looked over before I signed for it. The car is still under factory warranty so I won't have to pay out of pocket for the repair. So any of you experience a water pump going so soon? Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
06561DCD-58C9-4D96-BB15-A0CEDBC2B211.jpeg

Reactions: Wizard of Iz

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dropped at a local dealer for a new water pump. 13k miles.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,931 Posts
Seems as if 5.7L and 6.4L water pump lifespans are all over the map....

Reactions: jpferry315

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,209 Posts
Another cool story, called stuff fails...………..DOES not mean all cars will have this issue.

Pulled a 2014 SRT 8 out of the barn with 176 miles in 2019 on it and dove it HARD for 3500 miles.

If is breaks, who cares !! Just fix it !!

Just cause these cars break DOES not make it a Bad CAR CALLED life people !!

U all know the parts on these cars are SUBed out by OTHER company's ?? Dodge does not make parts people !!

Live, Love and don't bash what U can not control !

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes there are a machine and not perfect and things happen. Very happy it was now and not when the warranty ended. Can't wait to get her back as I love the car. They are doing the new WP today. Going from 305hp to 485hp is a bit tricky. Got to remember to respect the power.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another cool story, called stuff fails...………..DOES not mean all cars will have this issue.

Pulled a 2014 SRT 8 out of the barn with 176 miles in 2019 on it and dove it HARD for 3500 miles.

If is breaks, who cares !! Just fix it !!

Just cause these cars break DOES not make it a Bad CAR CALLED life people !!

U all know the parts on these cars are SUBed out by OTHER company's ?? Dodge does not make parts people !!

Live, Love and don't bash what U can not control !
As I said in my post I love the car. Wanted to see if any other owners has a water pump issue. Great find on the SRT8.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,923 Posts
One reason I don't pay a lot of attention to "ten least reliable cars" type articles is because the statistics used are likely derived from documented dealer work orders and such. If a company reports every single problem walking in the door, the number of "problems" go up. If the typical owners are whiners that complain and whimper about every little thing they perceive to be a problem, the number of "problems" go up. If the typical owner is a complainer that runs around telling everyone what a POS their car is, the perception of that car being a "problem" vehicle goes up, and so on.
To the contrary, the opposite of all of the above makes cars more "reliable" and causes the "unreliable" cars to fall further down the ratings.
After reading many of the threads here, it's obvious that many Challenger owners fall into the first category where everything, no matter how small, is a major problem. It's no surprise when certain cars are always at the bottom of the list. Lexus IS always high up on the list of reliable cars, but truth be told, many owners don't even notice issues or have a clue about their cars.
What does this post have to do with this thread? Not a hell of a lot LOL. I just wanted to vent my point of view on what causes certain cars to shine above others in reliability ratings. Of course, there's also such a thing as cars that actually are engineered and built with better quality in mind. I wonder how Dodge really rates in the scheme of things when all factors are considered?
In this particular case, something major like a water pump failing early on is a serious issue, but as stated, stuff happens.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,209 Posts
One reason I don't pay a lot of attention to "ten least reliable cars" type articles is because the statistics used are likely derived from documented dealer work orders and such. If a company reports every single problem walking in the door, the number of "problems" go up. If the typical owners are whiners that complain and whimper about every little thing they perceive to be a problem, the number of "problems" go up. If the typical owner is a complainer that runs around telling everyone what a POS their car is, the perception of that car being a "problem" vehicle goes up, and so on.
To the contrary, the opposite of all of the above makes cars more "reliable" and causes the "unreliable" cars to fall further down the ratings.
After reading many of the threads here, it's obvious that many Challenger owners fall into the first category where everything, no matter how small, is a major problem. It's no surprise when certain cars are always at the bottom of the list. Lexus IS always high up on the list of reliable cars, but truth be told, many owners don't even notice
What does this post have to do with this thread? Not a hell of a lot LOL. I just wanted to vent my point of view on what causes certain cars to shine above others in reliability ratings. Of course, there's also such a thing as cars that actually are engineered and built with better quality in mind. I wonder how Dodge really rates in the scheme of things when all factors are considered?
In this particular case, something major like a water pump failing early on is a serious issue, but as stated, stuff happens.
Could not say it ANY BETTER !!! Cars break, get over it !!

MAYBE if we inspected our cars more often, changed ALL the fluids when U due, JUST maybe less break downs !! LOL

Reactions: USponycar

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,209 Posts
Could be lack of lubrications' ??? Belt tension to high ??? My guess is poor quality pump from day one is my guess !!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. It’s fixed and the tech said it was probably a defective pump. All fixed under warranty and no other issues. I did check the car out and even had it at a mechanic soon after picking it up and guess he missed it. All good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Well, I traded my 2017 SXT Plus for a 2017 Scat Pack. I searched for a long time to find a Picth Black Scat Pack in the same condition and mileage as my SXT. I found the exact car at a price I could afford and also a decent trade value. I was able to trade with only a small increase in my payments and also my insurance only went up $15 a month. I don't drive the car every day as I have a company car so the Challenger has been sitting in the garage. I took the car out this past Sunday and after an hour's drive I came home and left the car running and there was a grinding noise from under the hood. After a bit of research, it seems to come from the water pump, I checked the pulley and it did have a bit of play in it. The car has 13k miles and will be dropping it off at my local Dodge dealer to check it out. Has any other owner had a water pump fail so soon? I liked my SXT but I love the Scat Pack. FYI, I did not hear the noise when I picked up the car and had it looked over before I signed for it. The car is still under factory warranty so I won't have to pay out of pocket for the repair. So any of you experience a water pump going so soon? Thanks.
I've had two water pump failures. One at like 28k miles and then again at 59k miles. Never leaked just the grinding noise that you can hear at least 6 feet away with the hood closed.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
I've had two water pump failures. One at like 28k miles and then again at 59k miles. Never leaked just the grinding noise that you can hear at least 6 feet away with the hood closed.
Which engine?

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
I want to crack one of these pumps open (have my old one on the work bench) to see how these suckers are designed.
From the failures I’ve read about.....they’re designed piss poorly! :ROFLMAO:

(and yes, I know.......many folks join forums to inquire about THEIR problems, whilst few join to sing the praises of their trouble free car)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I picked up my Challenger last night and she sounds great. A little bump in the road but look forward to many miles on my SP. This car is so much fun to drive then my SXT.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I picked up my Challenger last night and she sounds great. A little bump in the road but look forward to many miles on my SP. This car is so much fun to drive then my SXT.
Yeah the 392 is so much fun. I can only imagine coming from the SXT. I came from the 5.7L and WOW what a difference 100HP makes. Have fun and enjoy it. To be honest besides the water pump, the car has been very dependable at almost 65k miles and my daily driver...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree as it just feels like a completely different car. I did test drive a 5.7 when I was shopping but when I got behind the wheel of the SP it was heaven. I had a 70 GTO 455 ram air back in the day and the SP would give it a run for the money. My love of a true performance is back.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I agree as it just feels like a completely different car. I did test drive a 5.7 when I was shopping but when I got behind the wheel of the SP it was heaven. I had a 70 GTO 455 ram air back in the day and the SP would give it a run for the money. My love of a true performance is back.

My days of building and tuning engines are over. I love the way the big 3 are releasing cars that are beast from the factory! Something we really haven't seen pre-71' ish

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts