Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of buying a used 2017 rt scat pack destroyer grey 37xxx miles from a dodge dealer. What are the 6.4 engines like? Reliable? I been reading some bad stories about lifters or cams etc. some are getting new engines? Warranty? I have a 2015 sxt i love it but I want more....I knew I was going to upgrade the next day I bought my 2015. What should I look for during my test drive? Is the 6.4 392 a solid motor or should I consider the 5.7

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
716 Posts
Well for me my 392 has been perfect. No problems very reliable etc... I have not read the bad press that you have so maybe something is going on that I am unaware of. My 5.7 was a great car and so far my 6.4 has been great. But as I always advise people, when buying used to take the car to an independent mechanic for a good once over, you would be surprised the majority of people do not do this!! The dealer should be fine with you doing that - if there not - you have a problem. Start it up, open the hood and listen to the engine, and then roll down the windows for your test drive and listen for unusual noises. Now on to the power question of the 6.4, I was shocked at the difference from my 5.7 to the 6.4 - a major difference! I can only imagine what it will feel like coming from the V6 SXT - hold on my friend! Not sure what the sticker price is and the mileage is kind of high considering its only a 2017! You may be able to find one with less miles for the same price or less. And I wouldn't discount looking at 2015 or 2016 with low mileage, you an get that car for around 34K, maybe less. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,849 Posts
Very important, check the "in service date" that will be the start of the warranty. 2 cars the same year can have vastly different amounts remaining.
I was very fortunate on the last 2 cars for me.
On the 2018 I just picked up, the in service date was late July last year, so I still have over 2 years of full warranty.
In July 2017 I bought a 2015 Charger R/T Road and Track, its in service was not until April of 2016, so it was barely over a year into warranty. I bought the Chrysler extended warranty, rolled into payments, ($1200 or so?) and would have been full coverage till 2023 100K miles. I just traded that in, and since that Charger just got off of factory bumper to bumper a couple months ago, I will be getting $1100 REFUND on my extended warranty!

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
The 6.4L is a great engine. No issues with mine to date. 25K miles and 150+ 1/4 mile passes. Tons of power in all RPM ranges. I run drag radials on the back on the street to get traction, the stock tires were a joke, could get sideways punching it at 50mph.

I would not supercharge a stock 6.4L without replacing the stock pistons with something better (i.e. forged). I would also not spray more than 75 shot of nitrous, though I know a few guys that spray 100-125 shots every weekend on the stock tune and their motors are still together amazingly. But basic bolt ons and a tune it handles just fine.

The 5.7L is also an excellent engine, but the 6.4L definitely has much more power, it's very noticeable. I'd go for the 6.4L if you can swing it. You may be able to find one with lower miles than that as well. Just check it over good, make sure it's not all beat to hell, test drive it, and if it all checks out have fun!

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
No issues at all with my '16 SP. Ordered it new, now have 27k miles.

I don't abuse it, but I run it hard and enjoy the heck out of it. The 392 is the perfect engine in a Challenger, at least for me.

It fits all my needs plus some.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,849 Posts
Very important, check the "in service date" that will be the start of the warranty. 2 cars the same year can have vastly different amounts remaining.
I was very fortunate on the last 2 cars for me.
On the 2018 I just picked up, the in service date was late July last year, so I still have over 2 years of full warranty.
In July 2017 I bought a 2015 Charger R/T Road and Track, its in service was not until April of 2016, so it was barely over a year into warranty. I bought the Chrysler extended warranty, rolled into payments, ($1200 or so?) and would have been full coverage till 2023 100K miles. I just traded that in, and since that Charger just got off of factory bumper to bumper a couple months ago, I will be getting $1100 REFUND on my extended warranty!
Just an update on this, I finally got all the paperwork submitted, once I got in touch with a competent person on the phone, I emailed the 3 things needed. And it was submitted. I got the check a couple of days ago, and it was $1,117!
SO, to sum up.
Cancel any warranty when you sell/trade a car with proof of mileage and date of sale. If the car was still under bumper-bumper you should get a full refund, and the less amount of time/miles it was used will increase the amount if it was past the bumper-bumper conditions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts