Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Challenger for about 3 weeks she's at 810 miles. I just raced Friday to get some baseline numbers before buying drag radials. It rained all morning and was still threatening in the PM so I only got three passes in before dew slicked over the top end and they went to 1/8 mile only. The times were :
Run #1 12.61 @107.76 /1.85 60ft 2300DA and 69 grains water
Run #2 13.34 @109.92 /2.2351
Same weather bad burnout led to wheel spin and severe hop
Run #3 12.50 @108.75 /1.89 60ft
2225DA same water

Procedure for each run was : sport mode, tc off for burnout, held until the tires smoked for about 3 seconds, tc on, launch control on set to 1500, pre stage, bump paddle for 1st gear but stick in D, stage, engage launch control , leave on last amber.
I just got 18x10 Bravado's and I'm buying tires on Tuesday. My question is whether the MT ET S/S R is the absolute best choice. I've run M/T's quite a bit in the past and my only reservation is the 29 inch diameter. The regular ET S/S is the same diameter as the 245 but I don't know if it would hook up as well. Please let me know what you think and feel free to recommend something else if so inclined.
Second question is whether Launch Control kills the mph. My mph seemed low even for the shit soupy conditions and the best mph came on the run when it pogoed the tires about 3-4 times and I got out of it (disengaging Launch Control in doing so)
Thanks in advance

RBS

·
Registered
2,192 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you guys. It seemed to me that the A8 had plenty of gear to pull the taller tire but I just wanted to make sure. Summit Racing is where I'll be purchasing the tire too lol I worked there for about 8 years and it's always nice to stop in and say hello. What kind of times are you getting out of your rigs?

RBS

·
Registered
255 Posts
Haven't been to the drag strip with mine yet. But, just messing around with 0-60 runs having TC on saps some power and usually makes a run about 0.2 seconds slower. Leave that off... or, in sport. I haven't noticed a difference between off and sport with TC, but maybe at the track that's different.

I have never got launch control to work worth a darn. It's probably me and operator error, but I don't like it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
grab a tazer and it unlocks track mode among other things. worth about a tenth. Gives srt pages. stock with slicks only and very little fuel and everything else stock I ran 11.93 at 115mph.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
grab a tazer and it unlocks track mode among other things. worth about a tenth. Gives srt pages. stock with slicks only and very little fuel and everything else stock I ran 11.93 at 115mph.
I'll will definitely get one ! I just went to their page and they don't show 2017 yet but I'll contact them and see if they have anything in the works. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
Hellcat
979 Posts
I just thought of something else...Do you guys run tire pressure sensors with the M/T tire?
I did not get the TMPs, I don't want to have to reprogram every time I change tires, I'll deal with the lights when the MTs are on and the car will recognize the factory wheels when I put them back on. That's the plan at least.
This combination came highly recommended by many and the wheels are Summit top sellers to challenger owners.
We will find out Friday night. Weather permitting

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
You should not have to re-program anything if you put TPMs in different wheels/tires, the car will look for them and once rolling, and it will grab the info from the drag wheels. Because you will have air pressure below 27 psi anyway, the low tire light would still be on so there isn't much benefit from having them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should not have to re-program anything if you put TPMs in different wheels/tires, the car will look for them and once rolling, and it will grab the info from the drag wheels. Because you will have air pressure below 27 psi anyway, the low tire light would still be on so there isn't much benefit from having them.
I did not get the TMPs, I don't want to have to reprogram every time I change tires, I'll deal with the lights when the MTs are on and the car will recognize the factory wheels when I put them back on. That's the plan at least.
This combination came highly recommended by many and the wheels are Summit top sellers to challenger owners.
We will find out Friday night. Weather permitting
Thanks for the info fellas. Looks like I'll be saving a little $$ in that department ?

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
86 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f100/new-16-scat-pack-shaker-going-dragstrip-advice-565922/
Read this from front to back. These guys got me competitive from the first pass. Especially cutting a light on these fly by wire cars.
We double entered the car in sportsman & pro this past weekend & my buddy that was a experienced racer that had never driven the car got down to 8 cars cutting .00 lights.
Thank You!! I thought I was just rusty because leaving off the last amber was giving me horrible R/T's. Can't wait to give this a try .

RBS

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quickest pass to date is in my signature, but I'm a nutcase who likes trying the impossible..lol.

I went to Gainesville Raceway on Friday night to test out a Mopar CAI I've been tweaking on, and she ran 12.37 @ 115.3 with a horrible 1.914 60ft in 1560 DA. Still on the stock tune, 275/40 street tires, and a new fuel mix I'm experimenting with. I ran a 12.297 @ 115.75 later on, with a 1.889 60ft, in 900 to 1000 DA but 52% humidity.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
The M/T ET Street S/S 275/40/20's work awesome on the stock 20x9 wheel. I ran those last year and on the stock tune with just a few minor mods ran 11.77 and 11.80 in really good air. I usually had 60fts in the 1.71-1.74 range but one time managed a 1.69. They are virtually the same diameter as the stock Goodyear 245 tires that come on the car.

The M/T ET Street R is an excellent tire as well. I'm running those this year at the track on some 17x9.5" wheels. I think they hook up a bit better than the S/S's did, but the S/S's were great too.

You should be able to hit low 12's at a minimum with drag radials and possibly high 11's with a good launch and some good air. A few guys have hit high 11's on the stock crappy street tires which is really amazing.

I never bothered installing TPMS sensors in my drag radial setups, they're going to read low all the time anyway. I run the S/S's on the street now at about 25psi cold so they'd likely go off all the time anyway. At the track I run anywhere from 19-21psi depending on how the track is hooking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Got them yesterday. Very happy

Lookin' good ! Mine are in the truck and getting dropped off at the tire shop first thing tomorrow. I've got a private track day with a local car club on Sunday and it's gonna be awesome. Five hours of all the passes you can run. (Fingers crossed for good weather and nobody oiling the track)

RBS

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
...well, we're waiting...

;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts