Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
for you guys that had it done, im in canada, Montreal to be specific,

i am an NA guy so thats why i want to have a cam swap, with everything that goes with it,
(cam phaser,springs,push rods,retainers etc....)
with that , long tubes headers with mid pipes and high flow cats
PCM unlock and custom tune
my car is still in storage but i would like to be ready when it comes out,
so, what would be the average price for all this?
thanks

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
hi guys,
for you guys that had it done, im in canada, Montreal to be specific,

i am an NA guy so thats why i want to have a cam swap, with everything that goes with it,
(cam phaser,springs,push rods,retainers etc....)
with that , long tubes headers with mid pipes and high flow cats
PCM unlock and custom tune
my car is still in storage but i would like to be ready when it comes out,
so, what would be the average price for all this?
thanks
I did all that last year, here in the U.S. and it was around 9k when done, I wish I would have gotten the Torque Converter don too but that is coming this year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did all that last year, here in the U.S. and it was around 9k when done, I wish I would have gotten the Torque Converter don too but tha tis coming this year.
thanks man,
was it on a 392 and if you dont mind how much hp gain?

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
269 Posts
My Scat goes into shop tomorrow for cam, headers, and converter. Will be about 9k US$ with labor & tune (no dyno). Hoping for 490+ whp.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
thanks man,
was it on a 392 and if you dont mind how much hp gain?
It's a 5.7L, cost would be the same. It was tuned on a Mustang Dyno, it made 350 WHP before and 434 WHP after so a pick up of 84 WHP.

My Scat goes into shop tomorrow for cam, headers, and converter. Will be about 9k US$ with labor & tune (no dyno). Hoping for 490+ whp.
What Cam are you getting? I picked up 84 WHP with a Comp Cams 274 Cam in a 5.7L

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
What Cam are you getting? I picked up 84 WHP with a Comp Cams 274 Cam in a 5.7L
MMX Max Effort cam which includes hellcat lifters and PSI springs. Going w/ a ~3600rpm stall converter from Circle D.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
was going for comp cam stage 2 HTR kit, dont wanna loose to much low end
i have a 6 speed m. dont know if it changes much,
im planning on keepin it a long time,(less than 300 made with those specs)
so im looking for reliable more than big hp gains,

BTW, how could i know if that"less than 300 made" is true?

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Be careful with a stock 392... the pistons in that engine are like glass (thank you Chrysler). If you intend to push the engine, you may want to consider altering the pistons too. I have heard numerous horror stories of folks that have pushed their 392's (with and without boost) and have had pistons pop their tops. ... it may be something to consider - maybe nothing will happen with yours (for years) but the risk remains.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Be careful with a stock 392... the pistons in that engine are like glass (thank you Chrysler). If you intend to push the engine, you may want to consider altering the pistons too. I have heard numerous horror stories of folks that have pushed their 392's (with and without boost) and have had pistons pop their tops. ... it may be something to consider - maybe nothing will happen with yours (for years) but the risk remains.
Wow, glad I got the lowly 5.7L

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i know, i just wanna get over 500 hp, (not to the wheels),50 -75 more, have a nice lope and great sound, not to pull runs

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
9k wow.... How much of that is install labor?
Approximately 2k for labor of cam/lifters, headers and stall converter.
7k for parts: cam kit, Stainless Works headers, wideband, stall converter, HPtuners device w/ credits & unlocked PCM service, email tuner

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
22,633 Posts
BTW, how could i know if that"less than 300 made" is true?
How about 70 total 2017 Go Mango SRT 392s? Assuming your car is a Canadian car, 25. Not sure on breakdown of manuals/automatics

A Guy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks a guy,i used the same charts from forums and if you break them down by color and transmition, from 2015 to 17 go mango 392 6m.im all of america, had 88 in 2016, i cant find the manuel or auto chart from 2017 but lets say half are 6m. thats 35, and 7 in 2018
so that would be 130 , and not all of them have the black stripes, so if those charts are accurate ,,thats not alot

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you do a cam swap that requires a lifter change, the heads need to be removed. Since I was going MDS to non MDS that was necessary. I think it was 2.5k to 3k labor.
thanks Frank
your not putting in forged pistons?,

come back to me with some feedback when its done Shak3r, thanks

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
thanks Frank

I definitely would forge if I were to add boost but its not needed w/ just a cam upgrade. Keeping my shaker NA, at least for now. I may forge and stroke the engine a couple years down the road.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
thanks Frank

My car is going the first week of May for a Whipple Stage II and some other complimentary upgrades, I was told I did not need to forge my 5.7L it will be 8 to 9 lbs of boost. (I am hoping for 550 to 580 WHP). Was told closer to 580 but 550 would make me pleased.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts