Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2017 SXT Plus Blacktop Spare Tire Option?

15K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Nuke 
#1 ·
I have a 2017 SXT Plus with the Blacktop Package. It comes with factory 20" wheels. My car did not come with a spare, just the foam insert and the tire inflator under the trunk floor. I'm wondering if a spare tire was an option on these cars? I tried to buy a spare kit from an online chrysler parts vendor and was told that my VIN requires a full size spare. That doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone shed any light on this? I really want a spare back there for my longer road trips.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Spare tires were an option, but the Plus package on your trim level excludes them (due to the 20" rim size I believe).

Can you bolt on a donut spare and drive home in the event of a blow-out? Sure, but it's not recommended to drive very far or very fast, that's the main thing.

Also, it's not recommended to run the donut spare on a drive axle, but that's easier said than done, right? I mean, if you have a blow-out on the back, what are you supposed to do, pull a front tire/rim off and put back there and then put the donut spare on the front? I guess, but who is going to do that when you're stuck on the side of the highway with other cars whizzing past you at 55-75mph and only inches away?!?

Prior to last week, I would have advised you just stick with the factory-provided option for a flat tire and forget about acquiring a spare. That was my approach for both my Challengers over the last few years (I didn't have the factory foam thingy, but I carried a tire plug kit and 12v inflator to deal with any flats I might have while out driving, so basically the same as the factory approach). But then I finally encountered a situation (blow-out) which could not be remedied by plugging and airing up the flat tire, and I was stuck ~30 minutes away from home (where my donut spare was) with no way to even limp it there at low speeds.

After that, I have reversed my previous belief that a plug/patch kit was sufficient, and I now carry my donut spare with me 'just in case'. If you travel every day for work commutes and such, I would advise you do the same. You can get one of those donut spares from any local salvage yard for cheap. Hell, I gave my neighbor one last year when he bought an old Police Charger at an auction which didn't come with one. Those donuts are everywhere, and any late 2000's to current LX car's spare will work on yours (LX = Charger, Challenger, 300, Magnum, Avenger, etc.) that had one will work with yours, AFAIK.

If I am incorrect on that, hopefully someone will chime in with the correct info...

#4 ·
Nuke,

You are correct. I have a donut spare off of a 2006 Charger that I carry in my trunk. I only had to use it one time on the front tire going flat. The donut is 1" shorter in diameter than a 20" wheel, so I would be hesitant to use it on the rear.

#5 ·
Thank you for your responses. You have basically confirmed what I was thinking. So I will get the donut spare and holddown kit and label it for use on the front only. Doing a double tire swap for a blown rear isn't as bad as being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no options except wait for an expensive tow truck. I've had a tire cut by a foreign object on the highway before and the only thing that saved me was having a spare.

#15 ·
If by "hold-down kit" you mean the long metal bolt that attaches to the floor pan and comes up through the spare tire to secure it in place, I will say it is not necessary for these trunks.

If you find a spare that comes with it, sure, take it. But if it does not come with it or you have to pay extra for some reason for it, leave it behind. It really doesn't do anything useful. The tire is wedged in there so well that it is not going to move no matter what. In fact using that long bolt to hold the tire down prevents you from using that space immediately beneath the tire to store other useful stuff like these:

Tool Tool accessory

Tool Metalworking hand tool

Product Technology Electronic device Electronics Auto part

Footwear Shoe Personal protective equipment Sports gear Outdoor shoe

Red Bumper Personal protective equipment Plastic Automotive exterior

(Yes, the breaker bar is not going to fit under the tire, but you get the point hopefully)

Reactions: ProPilot74
#6 ·
The donut spare is optional on any Challenger with 3.6L or 5.7L engines thru 2017. It will clear all brakes packages front or rear so no need to use on rear only. In 2017, the option cost $295.

For 2018 the option is the same and for the same $295 and will fit all 3.6L and 5.7L cars except those 5.7L Challengers that includes the Performance Handling Group with the Brembo brakes. It is not available on those cars but if you want to add it later the donut would clear the rear brakes only.

There is no full size spare available for the Challenger.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I was told by chrysler that I cannot use a donut spare and I would have to use a full size as a spare. My assumption is because I have the 20" wheels and they don't want different diameter wheels on the drive axle. The donut is available on other trim levels that don't come with factory 20"wheels.

#7 ·
I think it's ridiculous that a spare is a added cost option. My 2016 SXT Plus Blacktop come with the "compact spare". It's not a tiny wheel, but obviously not full size

A Guy

#9 ·
I think it's ridiculous that a spare is a added cost option. My 2016 SXT Plus Blacktop come with the "compact spare". It's not a tiny wheel, but obviously not full size

2015 Dodge Challenger | Jacking and Tire Changing - YouTube

A Guy
I'm guessing you did not have factory 20" wheels though. It seems that is the reason why the factory won't offer a donut spare option on my car.

#10 · (Edited)
Yes, factory 20" Blacktop wheels

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

Build sheet attached

A Guy

Attachments

#11 ·
Yes, factory 20" Blacktop wheels

View attachment 850266

Build sheet attached

A Guy
Hmm. Well now, Chryslers response doesn't make sense again. Our cars are practically identical. Maybe I'll go online and order it again using the last 8 of your VIN so it doesn't flag in their system.
If you get a chance, would you mind looking at your donut wheel and getting the part number off it for me? There are 3 different donuts listed for a 2017 challenger!
BTW, what exhaust do you have? Is it the Solo?
Thanks!

#12 · (Edited)
Unsure why 3 different part #'s, all listed as fitting your car

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-compact-spare-4895689aa

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-compact-spare-4782465ab

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-compact-spare-4782819ab

Steve White does not list the Challenger, although other Mopar part sites do. Perhaps @stevewhiteparts can lend some insight?

Yes, Solo exhaust. I'll try to get the number tomorrow.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f449/solo-performance-exhast-installed-511241/

A Guy

#14 ·
My 2011 Charger R/T AWD spare tire fits and clears the rear 4 piston brakes on my 2015 SRT 392. The spare is a T145/80D18 (dia=27.1") (Max Load rating: 1709 lbs.) This spare came with the car when I bought it new.

The OE tires on my Charger are 29.1" dia. That almost a 7% difference in dia. Assuming that wasn't a mistake, that's quite a difference and makes me wonder how critical it is to come close to the same diameters for temporary/limited use.

I'd ask the dealer about it but chances are they won't be able to give me a good answer. Oh, and I've never had the need to use the spare on my Charger.

#19 ·
#22 ·
Ahhh, hadn't thought of that. Yeah, a front end damaged Challenger will be your huckleberry ;)

A Guy

#27 ·
For tires, I think 7-10 years is max life. No cracking? It's hopefully been out of the sun it's whole life and will be ok

A Guy

#34 ·
I cannot speak to the difference in all those, but I have weighed the spare tire & wheel, and they comes in at 11.34 kg (25 lbs) IIRC.

#36 ·
Should be rim and tire. I’ve never seen just the rim available anywhere.

#38 ·
If I had to guess, I’d say that rim weighs 3/4 of what the rim and tire combo weighs, so 7-8 kg probably.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.