Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new in here and an owner of a brand new 2017 V6 SXT Plus I have been reading a lot about it and everyone shows around 19 to 20 mpg dtving daily commute, mine is doing 14 that's even less than my old 2006 Nissan Armada with a 5.6 V8, any suggestion will be appreciated otherwise I'm taking it back to the dealer

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
What kind of fuel are you running? Like, the octane rating, and especially the level of alcohol can greatly affect MPG. Also, how many miles are on the car? It may run a bit hotter and get worse mileage for a few thousand miles.

And of course, how much you have your foot in it, driving conditions, lots of traffic, etc all affect the over-all MPG.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
If you have sport mode make sure your not driving with on ,my RT plus gets that ,16 , 18 in sport mode
When I highway drive in normal, I get about 24 /26 ,

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,862 Posts
I drive 100% stop and go city driving in my SC RT+ and my MPG (hand calculated and not from MPG gauge on the dash) jumps from 12-14 mpg depending on how heavy footed I am. Before I installed the SC I was getting 15 mpg consistently.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 16 SXT plus with STP and 87octane averaged 21 mpg in Dallas Texas(for weather comparison)

I spent 75% of my time in mid to heavy traffic.

Highway driving and my mpg would steady climb to 25-27mpg.

When I'd leadfoot and sport mode it for fun, it would drop to 19-20ish mpg.

Additionally I had the hellcat air box with airgrabber and a green filter on it whether that hurt or helped or did nothing for mpg...

You shouldn't be getting that bad of mpg if you aren't just 100% in traffic or idling for hours...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 16 SXT plus with STP and 87octane averaged 21 mpg in Dallas Texas(for weather comparison)

I spent 75% of my time in mid to heavy traffic.

Highway driving and my mpg would steady climb to 25-27mpg.

When I'd leadfoot and sport mode it for fun, it would drop to 19-20ish mpg.

Additionally I had the hellcat air box with airgrabber and a green filter on it whether that hurt or helped or did nothing for mpg...

You shouldn't be getting that bad of mpg if you aren't just 100% in traffic or idling for hours...
I was expecting something like that. I'm using 87 octane gas and no javy trafic, commute is around 10 miles and done in around 20 minutes.
Will calculate manually and post results tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
What is the reason for returning it, bad MPG? How long have you owned it? The dealer is not going to let you return it, like an appliance, but they will let you trade it in for something else. Just don't expect you to get what you paid for it! It lost thousands in value when you drove it off the lot.
Give it a chance to break in, see if it improves.

Reactions: Debo

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I assumed that taking it back meant to check it out and make sure something isn't wrong.

It would be good to know what percentage of alcohol is in the gas you're running, too. Around here, the only alcohol free gas we can buy is premium, and it's over $4 a gallon. While on vacation this year, we ran across ethanol free standard grade gas,and I filled up my wife's Cherokee with it. That car got over 5 mpg better mileage on that tank than we had been getting on the trip, and then it went back down again after it was burned.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
If you just bought this car, cool your heels a bit and take it on a long drive on the Highway. If you are just basing this MPG off of the first couple hundred miles, it will be off.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,768 Posts
Almost all my driving is street driving. I get 18-20 MPG. If I have a longer, mostly freeway trip, I get 24-25 MPG. It's not the 24-30 advertised, for me at least. A Guy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is the reason for returning it, bad MPG? How long have you owned it? The dealer is not going to let you return it, like an appliance, but they will let you trade it in for something else. Just don't expect you to get what you paid for it! It lost thousands in value when you drove it off the lot.
Give it a chance to break in, see if it improves.
No, I don't want to return the car, I love that car, just wanna be sure that nothing is wrong, everybody advertise 19 mpg and everything I read about it shows in the 19-20 range, I know it is a brand new one and it should need time to set all in, I'm just trying to get as many info as possible before I say something is wrong to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Hi, Anthony,

First of all, congratulations on your new ride in your Challenger! :)

I am certain one of the issues about your crazy low MPG is not discovering the sweet spots of your car yet. More you drive it more you will find out about its sweet spots of accelerating, braking, and etc of your Challenger. IMHO, the Challengers are sensitive to lead foot! Very!

I took pictures of my MPG leaving work and arriving home recently in my 2016 485 HP gas guzzling purple mustang eater and I managed 19 MPG in the rush traffic for 13 miles. I've attached my pictures in hopes to encourage you to be patient with your new ride and to learn more about it! You will love it further as I've discovered I promise! When I got mine in February I was stunned to see it in 11ish MPG. I felt like I owned a Lamborghini not a Challenger but I learned about it, got a feeling for it, and my MPG improved greatly. :)

If I can get 19 MPG in my Scat Pack in the rush traffic. I trust you will get a better MPG in your SXT in no time! As usual feel free to ask questions in this wonderful commuinty. We all want you to keep driving that new Challenger of yours! :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Some of these sound low. 2016SXT with 16K miles and I get 22-24 city. On a
650 mile highway trip this summer I got 30.9 with 4 people cruising at 75MPH.

·
Registered
43 Posts
3 of my 6 challengers had the V6 all of them noticeably improved on fuel mileage and engine performance as the miles added up

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've put 3,800 on my GT and I'm getting 26.8 mpg for all miles driven. 3,500 of those miles are on the interstate. As others have said the Ethanol will kill your mileage.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,768 Posts
Had about 160 mile round trip yesterday. Unfortunately more than 1/2 in stop and go traffic. Average was at 20.8 after. A Guy

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,730 Posts
I was expecting something like that. I'm using 87 octane gas and no javy trafic, commute is around 10 miles and done in around 20 minutes.
Will calculate manually and post results tomorrow.
I suspect the short commute has something to do with the low MPG. The engine barely had time to get to operating temp, and then you arrive and turn it off. This keeps the computer from doing all the things it knows how to do to ensure efficient combustion (operates on pre-programmed parameters until operating temp is reached).

The fact that it takes 20 min to travel 10 miles also would seem to point to a lot of stop and go, which another mpg killer.

There are too many variables to factor in to be able to provide a confident answer, but the two scenarios above would be my best guesses as to what's causing your low mpg.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts