Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have not seen ANY discussions about the 2017 Dodge Challenger, the only thing i found was this,

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f314/2016-sxt-plus-rt-plus-409425/

I am new to Dodge. My first car was a 2011 BMW 335, then i got married and had kids so i went with a Hyundai Sonata (lol so sad) 2012 and then a 2015. Now my 2015 lease is coming to an end and I now that the kids are older and i rarely take the kids in my car, I wanted to go back to a sports/muscle car. I can not afford the BMW 335's anymore (which by the way i freaking loved the car because it was fast enough for me) so i was thinking of getting a sports car that i could afford. Its between the Ford Mustang, Chevy Camero, or the Dodge Challenger. So i need room in the back for the car seats just in case i EVER need to put the kids in the back (which i highly doubt i ever will). They say the ford mustang barely has any room in the back so thats a NO for me, and when i sat in the Camero, I felt like i could barely see anything outside the front glass. So... I have decide to go with a 2017 Challenger SXT Plus... I do NOT want to pay more for insurance and I do not want to pay more for gas... BUT, everyone keeps telling me that you are wasting your money buying a non v8 version of the vehicle.

I will only be using this car to drive to work which is about a 20 mile drive, BUT i will be sitting in traffic since i am in LA. So my 20 mile drive takes at least 1 hour. I don't drive that much other than going to work and going to see friends and family. For both of my Hyundai Leases, for 3 years on each, i had only 25K miles on them both when returning them. I do not drive fast at all, never had a speeding ticket in my life, but i do want something powerful like my BMW 335 v6 twin turbo. I loved driving that car. When i test drove the 2017 SXT Plus, i really liked how it felt and it reminded me of my bmw 335 power.

I am VERY interested in getting the v8 because i want to purchase this car instead of leasing it so i was thinking the v8 would keep this car at a higher value down the line? But i ran the numbers and i would really need to go above my budget limit to afford the v8 and I feel like that is not worth it since the v6 was just fine for me. The whole insurance going up with a v8 is not a good thing as well for me and the MPG is less on the v8s as well. I want to make sure i am making the right decision because i will be purchasing this car and not leasing it. Any help from you guys will be appreciated big time!

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
There are plenty of people on here who got the SXTs and love them. I have an R/T Plus I bought new in 2015. I still like the car. That is a decision only you can make for yourself. For me it was a "spur of the moment" thing, came home from work one day and wife said, "Go buy a new Challenger, I know you like them, you look at them at all the car shows", only condition was it had to have a V8. Personally I would prefer an SXT Plus with leather seats and all the things they come with over a stripped out R/T or Scat or SRT.... It's easier to add speed aftermarket than it is to add comfort.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If you like the SXT no reason not to go with it. I've personally never driven one but always hear good things about that engine.

Not sure the insurance is that much more, i just went from a 13 R/T to a 17 R/T and it went down 60 bucks a year, can always get a quote.

I drive a 5.7 as my only car, have a 90 mile a day round trip commute, 70% of it is freeway, i hit lights on the other part of the drive, and traffic pockets and problems all over, its a bad commute in this area. I got 22-23 MPG on my 13 manual, my 17 auto isn't broken in yet, but I am guessing it will settle in at 24, maybe 25 on a good day. I would guess the 6 is not a huge difference.

You don't want to go over your budget but you don't want to settle for something less than what you wanted. It sounds like you you would be perfectly happy with the SXT. You can always test drive a R/T to be sure.

Difference between V8 and SXT other than the power is not much I think. They have new exhaust on the 17 R/Ts and they sound great. I would highly recommend the Super Track pack for either model.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There are plenty of people on here who got the SXTs and love them. I have an R/T Plus I bought new in 2015. I still like the car. That is a decision only you can make for yourself. For me it was a "spur of the moment" thing, came home from work one day and wife said, "Go buy a new Challenger, I know you like them, you look at them at all the car shows", only condition was it had to have a V8. Personally I would prefer an SXT Plus with leather seats and all the things they come with over a stripped out R/T or Scat or SRT.... It's easier to add speed aftermarket than it is to add comfort.
Perfect! I never knew the R/T was stripped out from leather seats and stuff... Awesome! Thank you so much for the heads up. Just makes me feel even better getting the SXT Plus. By the way, here are the specs on the car.

DODGE CHALLENGER SXT Plus
Exterior Color: White Knuckle Exterior Paint
Interior Color: Black / Ruby Red Interior
Colors Interior: Premium Nappa Leather Sport Seats
Engine: 3.6-Liter V6 24-Valve VVT Engine Transmission: TorqueFlite® 8-Speed Automatic Transmission

Super Track Pak
Wheels: 20" x 8.0" Granite Crystal Aluminum
Tires: P245/45ZR20 BSW Performance
3.07 Rear Axle Ratio
Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Performance Brakes
Dodge Performance Pages
Goodyear Brand Tires
ParkSense Rear Park Assist System
ParkView Rear Back-Up Camera
Performance Steering
Rear Bodycolor Spoiler
Rhombi 2-Pc Wheel Center Cap
Sport Suspension
Steering Wheel Mounted Shift Control
Driver Convenience Group
Blind Spot & Cross Path Detection
High Intensity Discharge Headlamps
Power Multi-Function Foldaway Mirrors
Remote Start System
Universal Garage Door Opener
Radio: Uconnect 4C Nav w/8.4" Display
SiriusXM Satellite Radio
1-YR SiriusXM Guardian Trial
SiriusXM Travel Link
5-Year SiriusXM Travel Link Service
SiriusXM Traffic Plus
5-Year SiriusXM Traffic Service
8.4" Touchscreen Display
Apple CarPlay
Google Android Auto
GPS Navigation
HD Radio
Integrated Center Stack Radio
Integrated Voice Command w/Bluetooth
Media Hub
Shark Fin Antenna
USB Host Flip
1-Yr SiriusXM Radio Service

·
Registered
515 Posts
Perfect! I never knew the R/T was stripped out from leather seats and stuff... Awesome! Thank you so much for the heads up. Just makes me feel even better getting the SXT Plus. By the way, here are the specs on the car.

No he just meant SXT Plus = Base R/T in price, pretty close at least. They both can be had in base and plus models, with pretty much the same a la carte options after that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a 2016 SXT plus w/ STP and high performance brakes. Had it for 12.5 months and then I got caught in a flash flood a week ago.

I lived it, the performance was solid but it's quiet. I added the hellcat airbox and a green filter and it was a little more throaty when warmed up but still quiet.

Got around 26 mpg for the first 9ish months but my commute became a construction fest when summer rolled around. (And I started running my car is sport all the time for fun) and my mpg was at 22.5 at her death.

I loved it and it was my starter sports car after 15 years of trucks and SUVs. My intention was 3-4 years of the SXT+ before I upgraded to a Shaker+ because I love the shaker look.

This unexpected need to get a new car and the introduction of the T/A has turned my plans on their head.

Now I'm pretty sure I'm going to try and get a 2017 shaker+ or T/A+ if I can find one around me that fits my wants. Which is looking to be difficult now that orders are closed I believe in prep for the 18s.

All taht to say if everything were to fall through and I'm in a v6 challenger again, I'll still be happy.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Now I'm pretty sure I'm going to try and get a 2017 shaker+ or T/A+ if I can find one around me that fits my wants. Which is looking to be difficult now that orders are closed I believe in prep for the 18s.
Orders are open for the 18s right now, no incentives yet of course. I just finished a search that went for months, it seemed dealers were ordering and moving a bunch of T/As, so you may get lucky. Cars are still being shipped, I think they are still building 17s to satisfy orders.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
2017 ended on July 7th, Brampton is on a break right now and plant is getting part of its ongoing upgrade, will open back up on July 24 to start building on 2018.

DODGE CHALLENGER SXT Plus
Exterior Color: White Knuckle Exterior Paint
Interior Color: Black / Ruby Red Interior
Colors Interior: Premium Nappa Leather Sport Seats
Engine: 3.6-Liter V6 24-Valve VVT Engine Transmission: TorqueFlite 8-Speed Automatic Transmission

Super Track Pak
Wheels: 20" x 8.0" Granite Crystal Aluminum
Tires: P245/45ZR20 BSW Performance
3.07 Rear Axle Ratio
Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Performance Brakes
Dodge Performance Pages
Goodyear Brand Tires
ParkView Rear Back-Up Camera
Performance Steering
Rear Bodycolor Spoiler
Rhombi 2-Pc Wheel Center Cap
Sport Suspension
Steering Wheel Mounted Shift Control
Driver Convenience Group
Blind Spot & Cross Path Detection
High Intensity Discharge Headlamps
Power Multi-Function Foldaway Mirrors
Remote Start System
Universal Garage Door Opener
Radio: Uconnect 4C Nav w/8.4" Display
SiriusXM Satellite Radio
1-YR SiriusXM Guardian Trial
SiriusXM Travel Link
5-Year SiriusXM Travel Link Service
SiriusXM Traffic Plus
5-Year SiriusXM Traffic Service
8.4" Touchscreen Display
Apple CarPlay
Google Android Auto
GPS Navigation
HD Radio
Integrated Center Stack Radio
Integrated Voice Command w/Bluetooth
Media Hub
Shark Fin Antenna
USB Host Flip
1-Yr SiriusXM Radio Service
Nice car!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I purchased a 2014 Challenger SXT Plus from a Chevrolet Dealership last year (imagine that!). I do understand you not wanting the insurance to rise, as I am only 21 years old and need the cheapest I can get my insurance! I also saw how difference in price the v8 was versus the v6.

I use the car as a daily driver to work, college, the gym, errands, etc. I LOVE driving fast, yet I do not race, as I bought the SXT. After test driving it, I fell in love and had to buy it. And like Frank Julian said above "It's easier to add speed aftermarket than it is to add comfort." The car had leather seats, a sunroof, was roomy, etc. In my opinion, I made the right choice. You can always take the multiple grand more the v8 would have been, and use that money to mod your SXT.

Happy Challenger owning!! You wont regret your decision either way

·
Registered
140 Posts
2017 ended on July 7th, Brampton is on a break right now and plant is getting part of its ongoing upgrade, will open back up on July 24 to start building on 2018.

Nice car!

To keep me from going down that rabbit hole, are there any big changes to the 18s?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, 18s will start hitting lots and push down 17 prices so wait it out a couple more months. By October 17s are going to get some decent slashes.

I would not choose R/T over SXT only because the stock power is not enough of an uptick. 70hp is a good bit, but also slightly heavier. And as stared an R/T will be a stripper at the same price as the sxt plus. So if speed and V8 sound are not that important, get all the bells and whistles on an sxt.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
To keep me from going down that rabbit hole, are there any big changes to the 18s?
A few changes, could be more ..

7.0 Uconnect standard base SXT/RT

All cars will have a rear spoiler and backup camera

Brembo 4-piston available 5.7L R/T

Red brake calipers available (w/ Brembo)

Performance Handling Group available 5.7L R/T

Harman Kardon available Scat Pack

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm literally in this same boat right now. I want the RT, but I also want the fuel economy and bells and whistles. I'm leaning towards the SXT Plus, but man, I'm already getting razzed about it being a chick car without the Hemi.. Good luck whatever YOU decide, because ultimately, it's your choice..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
A few changes, could be more ..

7.0 Uconnect standard base SXT/RT

All cars will have a rear spoiler and backup camera

Brembo 4-piston available 5.7L R/T

Red brake calipers available (w/ Brembo)

Performance Handling Group available 5.7L R/T

Harman Kardon available Scat Pack

And the most important, auto up windows.

·
Registered
9,352 Posts
All that I can say is buy what you can afford. Pushing the limits, or extending yourself for a car, just isn't a good move.

Everyone would like a HellCat, but affording one is another thing for most. You're young, don't jam yourself financially.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yeah, 18s will start hitting lots and push down 17 prices so wait it out a couple more months. By October 17s are going to get some decent slashes.

I would not choose R/T over SXT only because the stock power is not enough of an uptick. 70hp is a good bit, but also slightly heavier. And as stared an R/T will be a stripper at the same price as the sxt plus. So if speed and V8 sound are not that important, get all the bells and whistles on an sxt.
You are forgetting the the increase of 142 lb-ft of torque, that is significant.

Each engine step up is significant, not everyone needs it or wants it. Dodge did a decent job supplying with options,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Oh ok... Well my lease on my 2015 Hyunda is not up until Feb 2018.... So maybe by that time i can get a 2017 R/T for the price of a 2017 SXT Plus right now?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, wait it out. End of year is a great time to buy cars. New are rolling in and dealership can only get new ones on the lot if they get old ones off the lot. If you buy a 2017 with zero miles when 2018 rolls around, you 2017 is much higher value than the higher mileage ones. Of course you owe more but value is higher too. If buying long term might as well buy the cheap old stock current year.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
No he just meant SXT Plus = Base R/T in price, pretty close at least. They both can be had in base and plus models, with pretty much the same a la carte options after that.
Base r/t = sxt plus price. I agree whatever you do don't get a stripped one. Get a + model. I would PUSH for the R/T + but it is your car. You are making the payments not me. The one you showed started me drooling. It has all the creature comforts you will need. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Base r/t = sxt plus price. I agree whatever you do don't get a stripped one. Get a + model. I would PUSH for the R/T + but it is your car. You are making the payments not me. The one you showed started me drooling. It has all the creature comforts you will need. Good luck.
I have a scat pack with nav and sound. So its stripped. Love it. I basically get the rt plus a stp and stuff I don't use and the extra .7 liters. But I was shopping a certain price point and they got me to my point. I am leasing at 350/mo. Funny part is the camaro 4cyl or eco boost mustang was 400+/mo. So I will take a stripped out 485hp challenger any day over the other 2. Of course then my local dealership came out with the LFP550 and pissed me off. A ecoboost mustang at 550hp for $33k... still, the sound of the 392 gets me going every morning.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts