Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2017 SXT Ticking

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  billschroeder5842 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I had bought a V6 SXT a couple months back and it has started getting colder out approx lowest is -6 C and I’ve noticed a slight ticking sound coming from engine bay, I just hit 72000 and had taken it into the dealership thinking it might be a belt or the water pump.
Unfortunately they couldn’t find anything, they said it was my injectors and is a normal sound for the V6 Pentastar but I still feel uneasy about the sound, I’ve found a few issues people have had with the rocker arms could that possibly be the issue?

#2 ·
Its hard to diagnose by just a description of hearing the Ticking, Could Be Rockers, Could be Injectors, just hard to say really without checking it over.
Seems to be a intermittent issue or noise some are mentioning lately. on here when they test drive a SXT around a 15+ model mostly a 17 and up from few post
past month.

#6 ·
-6 centigrade is pretty tough on cars, but shoudl not effect the engine. If your noise is definitely coming from your engine and it only started when the weather got real cold, you may need to switch oil to one that has better lubrication in the winter.

#7 · (Edited)
I assume you have checked the oil level.

At -5 C, I have had modern dodge cars make weird noise on startup, automatic transmission goes into limp mode. No ticking, except for the occasional first five or ten seconds.

Same thing at -12 C to -14 C, weirder noises but no ticking, 3.5, 3.6, 5.7

Had a coldspell once for a few days at -26 to -29 C, no ticking, on my 3.5

#12 ·
Desmond, I am by far the most neurotic challenger owner on this board (I'll dare anyone) about sounds, noises, body creaks, ticks, squeaks....etc. I actually have a box in my garage complete with foam, felt, double sided tape and glues devoted to reducing body noise. I have been called the "Hans Landa" of auto noises as I'll take apart anything to get to that little annoyance. My friends make fun of me, but you would be surprised how many of them come to me to fix their noises.

From your video, you have nothing. Since it is an engine noise, try videoing from the front of the car with the engine running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.