Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently traded from a 2015 SRT 392 to a 2017 T/A 392. I love the look of the T/A and the intake options that you get with the T/A. I do miss the SRT steering wheel and the selective suspension modes however.

My biggest complaint though is the exhaust. My wife has a new 2017 Charger Daytona 5.7 and it sounds way better than my 392! I figured with the active system on the T/A it would sound just as good if not better than the 5.7 in the Charger. Any ideas on what i can do without completely replacing everything? Does sport mode leave the butterflies completely open? I have read about several options and leaning towards mini bullets but I am also interested if others have been disappointed in the 392 exhaust.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
The flaps will never be open all the time, even in sport mode. I was pretty happy with the way the exhaust sounded on my Scat Pack. I wanted louder though so I went with a Borla ATAK which is incredibly loud but in a good muscle car way. Zero drone and at WOT it is a beast. I also got the version that has the active exhaust simulators which means there's no flaps on mine. I have seen many people remove the mid mufflers and I think that sounds pretty good. I can't comment, though, on replacements for the mid mufflers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sport mode will keep the valves open. If you want the cheapest way to make your exhaust sound better and louder then delete the mid mufflers.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I recently traded from a 2015 SRT 392 to a 2017 T/A 392. I love the look of the T/A and the intake options that you get with the T/A. I do miss the SRT steering wheel and the selective suspension modes however.

My biggest complaint though is the exhaust. My wife has a new 2017 Charger Daytona 5.7 and it sounds way better than my 392! I figured with the active system on the T/A it would sound just as good if not better than the 5.7 in the Charger. Any ideas on what i can do without completely replacing everything? Does sport mode leave the butterflies completely open? I have read about several options and leaning towards mini bullets but I am also interested if others have been disappointed in the 392 exhaust.

Any help is appreciated.
Out of curiosity, what made you trade in a 2015 SRT 392 for a 2017 T/A?

Oh and btw, the SRT steering wheel is a straight forward swap .... Just did it a few weekends ago.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Out of curiosity, what made you trade in a 2015 SRT 392 for a 2017 T/A?

Oh and btw, the SRT steering wheel is a straight forward swap .... Just did it a few weekends ago.
I wanted something a little bit different and not just trade for another SRT, nothing major had changed on the SRT and I really liked the look of the T/A. I was dissapointed that the SRT 392 had not added any of the intake features available on the T/A for 2017 so i figured I would give the T/A a shot. I am happy with my choice so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update... Yesterday I broke the 500 mile mark and the car now seems like a different beast. I was under the impression that the only change at 500 miles was the unlock of launch mode, at least I think this was the case with my SRT. It seems like the PCM (tune) behaves differently now, better throttle response, more power at WOT (butt dyno), better exhaust note at WOT... Or maybe it is all in my head and just wishful thinking?

Does anyone know if hitting 500 miles changes anything besides launch accessibility?

·
Super Moderator
15,345 Posts
Update... Yesterday I broke the 500 mile mark and the car now seems like a different beast. I was under the impression that the only change at 500 miles was the unlock of launch mode, at least I think this was the case with my SRT. It seems like the PCM (tune) behaves differently now, better throttle response, more power at WOT (butt dyno), better exhaust note at WOT... Or maybe it is all in my head and just wishful thinking?

Does anyone know if hitting 500 miles changes anything besides launch accessibility?
You're getting more miles and engine / driveline are breaking in. I've noticed on both of mine that ~ 4-5K power and MPG keep increasing. Tolerances are very tight on today's cars.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Yes, on mine, time and miles have helped how the exhaust sounds, and how the car performs.

After about 6 months and about 5k miles, the exhaust just seemed a little deeper/fuller. It always sounded good to my ears, but it's even better to my ears now. Plenty loud, especially at WOT :)

As far as performance, I've had my SP two years, and just hit 20k (s)miles. It's running stronger than ever, and mileage has increased on road trips too.

Totally pleased

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
687 Posts
I guess I'm not crazy.

A little over 1300 miles on my 16 Scat Pack and I thought the exhaust was sounding better every time I drive it. Now with the Taser in Track mode, I don't notice a lot of difference from how it sounded in Sport mode.

I think Sport mode pretty much opens the exhaust with the throttle position so that it doesn't have a huge effect on sound overall.

I cannot hear a difference at idle or revving in neutral from mode to mode. I only notice it when the engine is loaded in gear.

But maybe I'm just deaf?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Your SRT had the same exact exhaust as your new T/A 392. Nothing different. You just have to put some miles on it as you're finding out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the info. I agree, she is opening up more every day. I still think my wife's Daytona 5.7 has a much more aggressive exhaust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts