Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have looked at other threads for a while now but cannot seem to find a good answer, so decided to ask myself. I apologize if the answer is out there somewhere, as I am new to the forums, and new to owning a challenger. I just purchased a 2017 T/A; Black with the Black T/A stripes down the side and also with the Black hood, top and trunk. My First question is what exactly is the material of the hood, top & trunk? I've seen satin black, which to my understanding is a wrap, and I've also seen matte black which to my understanding is paint. Along with that, I've also seen where people have said the top and the trunk area have a different material than the hood. So my next question is; Do all three areas have the same material. For example; if the hood is satin, is the top and trunk also satin? Next question, I know you must treat the satin or matte with special care when washing the car, so how are some of you other guys washing your T/A? Do you just use normal car soap over the whole car then rinse and dry and go back and special care for the hood, top and trunk? I have looked around and can't find any videos entailing how exactly to wash the car. Once again, I apologize for the long post, this is my first "nice" car purchase and I don't want to jack anything up. Hopefully someone can shed some light with the specifics. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,939 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Trevor. I'm sure you'll get some detailed replies, but the hood is painted, and the roof and trunk are wrapped. I know you are supposed to care for the matte specially. Many mention Dr. Beasley's for matte care. A Guy

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hood is painted, roof and trunk are a wrap.

I use Chemical Guys Matte car wash soap and detailer on my car. The Dr Beasley's stuff will work as well but it's stupid expensive.

·
Super Moderator
15,384 Posts
also - for the matte finishes (and the vinyl wrap on roof, trunk) - don't use the waxes, polishes that are intended for conventional (high gloss) paint surfaces. This will alter the appearance of the matte surfaces.

The hood, fuel door and spoiler are matte finish paints.

·
Registered
694 Posts
+1 for chemical guys products. but even then the key is not to do it in sun.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
From what I've read use shampoo/car wash that doesn't have added wax. I've been using Meguiers Gold Glass with great results.

·
Registered
140 Posts
+1 for chemical guys products. but even then the key is not to do it in sun.

I'm thinking about ordering the Chemicalguys trio for matte but I keep reading tons of either 5* or 1* reviews mainly about the jetseal...

Any experiences you can expound on or anyone that's used chemicalguys matte products?

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
You only get one mess-up matte finish won't come back. I've probably been overly cautious but I don't want shiny spots making my finish looking like it came from rattle can primer! I mostly use touches car washes, wand or auto. I will hand wash but use little soap+minimum scrub. The Wizards is a good touch-up I use like Mothers Showtime for bird droppings and water spots. I found Wizards on Amazon for about $15 for 22oz spray, gallons are available too. Nice product!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Avoid Chemical Guys Matte Jet Seal. I used it once and it left streaks all over the matte surfaces. Contacted them and they said to use the detailer spray to get most of it off and the rest would come off after another few washes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Matte Finish care

Hi Trevor
Welcome to the T/A Family.I had a lot of difficulty finding what was quick and easy to care for my T/A and finally found a product called
"RAT WAX" !!! I used the Chemical Guys 3 Kit Matte Products and had mixed results , the matte sealant and quick spray I found to be a pain in the butt to get good results . I still use the Car wash every other wash.
But I find the Rat Wax is quick and easy to just Spray on and wipe off ,you don't have to buff it of mess with it too much Like I found with Chemical Guys Matt finish products.
Well that's my 2 cents enjoy.
Mopar Dwayne

·
Registered
3 Posts
So now I'm all worried if I made the right choice of "satin black hood".......
Back in 1976 I used to use Pledge spray furniture on my 76 Jeep Cherokee...lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
So can someone go through the whole process?
I have a white T/A 392, From what I'm understanding I can wash the whole car with a soap that's safe on matte and satin and then go back and treat the matte with something, but what about the white it won't be as shiny without any glossifier.
And what about the wheels I've heard to not use anything really tough on them

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wash the entire car with Meguiars gold class using a snow foamer, then I dry it and use Mothers VLR on the trunk and roof And side stripes. For the hood I use glass cleaner to wipe It down so there are no water spots.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This car takes a whole other level to clean. Rat Wax for the win for me too, and I also use the chemical guys matte shampoo for the matte surfaces, including wheels. Dr Beasleys for the wheels, haven't seen the point of spending that kind of money on it for the hood, roof and deck lid when Rat Wax works well for me. I think I'm up the the 40 bucket method when I wash the car now. Or maybe just 4...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just used Windex and non chlorinated brake cleaner sprayed into a rag on mine. Cleaned up a bunch of bright oily spots lickity split. Very uniform and very "matte" appearance. No gloss as intended....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts