Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a 2017 SXT Yellow Jacket Blacktop a couple months ago and really have no complaints except for the power, of course. Coming from my 15 EB Mustang, it really feels sluggish. I'd probably be OK with it if if had the paddle shifters like the Mustang so you can just go down a gear when you want to because this transmission really takes a while to decide it wants to downshift...

Long story, short- dealer in a small town close to me has a 17 T/A Yellow Jacket 6M discounted about 8K off sticker. I'm still not sure if I want a manual due to me getting old and lazy. But they are a lot of fun. Few questions-

1) The hood,roof,trunk are wrapped with the matte black vinyl. I like the side stripes, not the hood. Salesman says it can be removed, no problem. Anyone actually ever done this?
2) Is there really no power gain from the cold air intake and active exhaust? Seems strange they would go to that trouble for no reason. Any way to tune this engine or does Dodge have the ECU locked down?
3) Clutch return spring is pretty stiff. On the Mustangs, you could get a modified spring from Steeda that made the car more livable as a DD. Anything like this for the Challenger?
4) I still need to call my ins agent. That could be a deal breaker since the SXT was 30% higher than the Mustang, which really surprised me.
5) Do they all come with limited slip diffs? What axle ratio is standard on the 6M? There is nothing on the window sticker...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The M6 has 3.92 rear gears and limited slip...The wrap can be removed.. I would say yes there is some power added from the cold air and active exhaust', they just don't advertise it for insurance reasons.. Your insurance might be a little more due to the Challenger is more expensive than a Mustang.. The PCM is locked down on the 2017, they can be unlocked though.. Not sure about the clutch though.. If you don't have a bum knee have fun with the M6 They are fun I just bought one 2 mnths ago.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The hood is painted satin black. No wrap to remove there. You will have to live with it or have it repainted. You did not say if you were getting a T/A 392 or not. My insurance basically did not change from my VW to the Challenger T/A 392. YMMV

·
Registered
515 Posts
Dealer should know better that the hood is not wrapped but painted. The matte hoods also need special care. There is a long T/A owner thread and I don't believe anyone has removed the vinyl from their roof or trunk although its been talked about it.

Can always get aftermarket side stripes on another vehicle more suited to what you want.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hood is painted satin black. No wrap to remove there. You will have to live with it or have it repainted. You did not say if you were getting a T/A 392 or not. My insurance basically did not change from my VW to the Challenger T/A 392. YMMV
This hood and trunk lid are definitely wrapped. I had the hood up and could see the edge of the vinyl and where it was a bit wrinkled around the edges. It is all yellow inside the hood, too.
It is a 5.7. They have a 392 but it is not discounted very much. The one I'm looking at was built 12/16 so 7 mos old and probably why they are trying to get rid of it. Every V-8 Challenger on their lot is a manual... They also have a white R/T w/ the track pack but it is very boring looking. It would have to have some stripes or something added.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,882 Posts
This hood and trunk lid are definitely wrapped. I had the hood up and could see the edge of the vinyl and where it was a bit wrinkled around the edges. It is all yellow inside the hood, too.
It is a 5.7. They have a 392 but it is not discounted very much. The one I'm looking at was built 12/16 so 7 mos old and probably why they are trying to get rid of it. Every V-8 Challenger on their lot is a manual... They also have a white R/T w/ the track pack but it is very boring looking. It would have to have some stripes or something added.
Ok dude, first off the HOOD IS PAINTED. I own a Yellow Jacket T/A, I should know, in fact I had to repaint it because it got scratched last month. The factory, well Ground Effects that is down the street from the main Brampton Plant where our cars are built, paint the hoods and they also paint a lip on the inside to mimic a wrap, but trust me, it's painted.

·
Registered
143 Posts
T/A hoods are painted. Get an R/T plus with the R/T Classic package

·
Super Moderator
15,393 Posts
the clutch system is hydraulic on Challengers - and there aren't adjustments or springs that are replaceable.

If the OP looks at an automatic - you need Super Track Pack option to gain paddle shifters on the 5.7 (or 3.6) engine models.

When you get to the models that have the 392 / 6.4 engine, the paddle shifters are standard with automatics.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger T/A Plus
77 Posts
Definitely painted on the hood. Yes you can remove the wrap on roof and truck. I know as Ground Effects got something caught under the roof wrap on mine and had to be redone. As for more power... i went from a 14' RT anniversary 6spd to a 17' TA Plus 6spd. It feels like it has more power or torque under the curve. Just pulls harder off the line. Now that could be the hood and cai, or the larger active exhaust (after the mufflers), or the lighter wheels. Maybe a combination of all the above. Ive got 1k miles on mine its a dream. Oh and insurance wise, im with usaa, and my cost dropped 22 a month going to the 17.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
T/A hoods are painted. Get an R/T plus with the R/T Classic package
I don't dislike the hood being black, but the roof and trunk look awkward to me. So if the wrap can be taken off the roof and trunk, that might work. But matte colors are a pain to maintain. I usually try to talk guys out of it when they want me to paint a bike matte because I know that a couple months down the road, they are going to be unhappy when they get a nick or scratch.

I think an R/T with the track pack and blacktop package would be ideal. Yellow or orange. Still undecided on the transmission.

I appreciate all the info...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The solution for the matt painted hood is to cover it with Xpel Stealth, its a clear matt-mask over the paint, virtually invisible, in fact I can't even tell it's on there at all. It protects so well I can clean and wipe it down with dang near anything now. Wish I had got it protected the first time before I got that scratch and had to repaint it before I could cover it with the Xpel. I use the regular glossy Xpel on the other parts of the car and it works amazingly well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Use Dr. Beasley's for the hood. It works wonders and is what Dodge recommends. BTW my T/A 392 was finished the first week of March 2017 and the hood is painted. Roof and trunk vinyl.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Use Dr. Beasley's for the hood. It works wonders and is what Dodge recommends. BTW my T/A 392 was finished the first week of March 2017 and the hood is painted. Roof and trunk vinyl.
Bet my Xpel works better than your Beasley! lol, it protects from flying debris as well as water, dirt, you get the idea.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger T/A Plus
77 Posts
Yes... the Dr. Beasleys matte kit is for matte paint and matte vynil. Now grab your ankles this is gunna hurt a lil... to do it properly you need the small kit at a minimum ($99.99). Thats matte car wash, post wash cleaner, the sealer, and post sealer cleaner for spot cleaning. Thats enough to do it a couple times. The wash is ok for the shiney parts too. And its more than enough. They sell a kit for the matte wheels too. I used it yesterday for first time.. turned out better than i expected.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Don't need to do anything to the clutch. Daily drive my Scat Pack 6M and it's a breeze. Very livable.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
Don't understand the stiff clutch comment, Challenger clutches are very easy to operate imho. I would definitely do the clutch delay valve mod, that will improve action but won't change any stiffness you may feel.

On the tuning, yes the PCM is locked. You can buy a PCM from Mopar that is tuned by Arrow Racing and keep your warranty, other tunes may put your powertrain warranty at risk.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Haven't tried Dr. Beasley's but I have been using Mckees 37 Matte finish cleaner and chemical guys satin-matte finish wash & both seem to work well

·
Super Moderator
15,393 Posts
Don't understand the stiff clutch comment, Challenger clutches are very easy to operate imho. I would definitely do the clutch delay valve mod, that will improve action but won't change any stiffness you may feel.

On the tuning, yes the PCM is locked. You can buy a PCM from Mopar that is tuned by Arrow Racing and keep your warranty, other tunes may put your powertrain warranty at risk.

:|
Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
One odd thing with clutches - they vary from car to car.

My '16 SPS M6 with 9.7K (built 10/15) compared to my friend's SP M6 with 6K on it (built 3/16) - his is firmer pedal.

Both my '09 and '16 have the same feel -

·
Registered
346 Posts
Bet my Xpel works better than your Beasley! lol, it protects from flying debris as well as water, dirt, you get the idea.
Yes for flying debris it probably does but I bet my Dr. Beasley's cost a lot less than the Xpel. :wink3:

Yes... the Dr. Beasleys matte kit is for matte paint and matte vynil. Now grab your ankles this is gunna hurt a lil... to do it properly you need the small kit at a minimum ($99.99). Thats matte car wash, post wash cleaner, the sealer, and post sealer cleaner for spot cleaning. Thats enough to do it a couple times. The wash is ok for the shiney parts too. And its more than enough. They sell a kit for the matte wheels too. I used it yesterday for first time.. turned out better than i expected.
I purchased the sealer only. Washed it with Wolfgang Auto Bathe and then sealed it. Worked fine.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts