Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!

Do you think it will be relatively easy to swap our the headunits in our Challengers later on with the 2017 edition of the UConnect system, or add the apple/android carplay module to existing 2016 models? I do know its quite easy to change from a base headunit to the 8.4 system, so I am hoping it will be a simple swap..

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Since the new unit is supposed to be offered alongside the same systems we have now, I suspect this should be possible. Whether or not the upgrade will be worth the price of the hardware, who knows. I wish I had Apple CarPlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
The higher resolution display would be worth it. Although the Gage cluster is what really needs a higher resolution display change.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well crap, I found this. Read the last line for the bad news.

One of the biggest “asks” of the*Uconnect System*is integration with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Well, the ask has been answered.

In the video, Uconnect Marketing Manager Mike Novak demonstrates how easy it is to integrate Android Auto and Apple CarPlay into the*2017 8.4 Uconnect System.

Novak also demonstrates other important improvements to the fourth-generation Uconnect System, including a higher definition screen and multi-touch gestures.

For the 2017 model year, 8.4 Uconnect with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration is only available on the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Dodge Challenger models, and cannot be upgraded with prior generation Uconnect systems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well crap, I found this. Read the last line for the bad news.

One of the biggest “asks” of the*Uconnect System*is integration with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Well, the ask has been answered.

In the video, Uconnect Marketing Manager Mike Novak demonstrates how easy it is to integrate Android Auto and Apple CarPlay into the*2017 8.4 Uconnect System.

Novak also demonstrates other important improvements to the fourth-generation Uconnect System, including a higher definition screen and multi-touch gestures.

For the 2017 model year, 8.4 Uconnect with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration is only available on the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Dodge Challenger models, and cannot be upgraded with prior generation Uconnect systems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
This subject has been talked about in numerous different threads... Since I have a '15 RT+ I too have been very interested in this subject and have done some investigation as well. From what I've gathered from other people trying this upgrade:

1. It cannot be just a software update unfortunately like you have stated above.
2. To even attempt this upgrade, at first you must replace the Media Hub in the arm rest to the 2017 (has two USBs and an aux port), plug n play easy switch.
3. You MUST buy a 2017 8.4 screen FROM THE SAME TYPE of car that you have. This means if you have an RT+ you cannot buy the screen from an HC, SRT, SP, SXT, or RT, must be from an RT+. The reason being if not from the same model, you will lose some functionality like heated seats, sport mode, etc.
4. If you do find a 2017 8.4 screen from the same type of model car, take the VIN from the screen and input in the VIN into the build sheet website (I don't have the VIN website on hand, copy paste the URL then copy paste the VIN, hit enter, gives you build sheet) and it will let you know if you indeed have found a perfect match. You could find an RT+ but the new 2017 screen came from a car that wasnt a STP and then you are screwed if you current car has the STP.
5. Lets say you find THE needle in the haystack, you are probably paying anyway from $1000 - $1500 for the screen... and that's on eBay.

In my eyes its not worth the risk to buy a maybe faulty screen and take the risk on losing functionality in my car for maybe the additional possibility for Car Play. I already have Nav in my car, which i love, so it really isn't worth it to me.

Sorry to be a dream killer :(

Like I said earlier all of this information i have gathered was through scouring this site, in one thread two guys were trying this install and is where the majority of this information came from.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger Scatpack Torred
125 Posts
This subject has been talked about in numerous different threads... Since I have a '15 RT+ I too have been very interested in this subject and have done some investigation as well. From what I've gathered from other people trying this upgrade:

1. It cannot be just a software update unfortunately like you have stated above.
2. To even attempt this upgrade, at first you must replace the Media Hub in the arm rest to the 2017 (has two USBs and an aux port), plug n play easy switch.
3. You MUST buy a 2017 8.4 screen FROM THE SAME TYPE of car that you have. This means if you have an RT+ you cannot buy the screen from an HC, SRT, SP, SXT, or RT, must be from an RT+. The reason being if not from the same model, you will lose some functionality like heated seats, sport mode, etc.
4. If you do find a 2017 8.4 screen from the same type of model car, take the VIN from the screen and input in the VIN into the build sheet website (I don't have the VIN website on hand, copy paste the URL then copy paste the VIN, hit enter, gives you build sheet) and it will let you know if you indeed have found a perfect match. You could find an RT+ but the new 2017 screen came from a car that wasnt a STP and then you are screwed if you current car has the STP.
5. Lets say you find THE needle in the haystack, you are probably paying anyway from $1000 - $1500 for the screen... and that's on eBay.

In my eyes its not worth the risk to buy a maybe faulty screen and take the risk on losing functionality in my car for maybe the additional possibility for Car Play. I already have Nav in my car, which i love, so it really isn't worth it to me.

Like I said earlier all of this information i have gathered was through scouring this site, in one thread two guys were trying this install and is where the majority of this information came from.
Infotainment is asking for model information while purchasing these new systems. Promises to have them preprogrammed to work with your vehicle. I've purchased it and will report back based on results. Thanks!

Sent from my ASUS_Z016D using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a 2015 sxt w/ stp and the 5.0 screen. Id like the bigger screen and really thats all I am after
It would be great to get the super track pack pages but this car does not have a stp button on my lower controls area.
Im not worried about g forces, like I said I just want the larger screen but I cant lose sport mode either?

·
Registered
374 Posts
sport mode

I have a 2015 sxt w/ stp and the 5.0 screen.... like I said I just want the larger screen but I cant lose sport mode either?
I have a 16 RT and it had the 5.0 radio. I dont believe a new 8.4 radio will give you the performance pages if your car had a 5.0 radio along with STP. The problem here with the infotainment upgrade is they program it to work with your car based on vin number. If your car did not have the pages before you put in the radio it wont have it after you put in the radio.(that is how it worked with my 16) Now I did get the voice commands to work(set temp to x degrees and so on) with the new radio. My sport button also still worked with the new radio. I got a 17 HVAC stack that had the STP button so my car now has the STP button, however it did not work until I got a tazer and enabled performance pages. After that it works perfect. Unless they changed it though the new radio comes with the firmware 14.9 The latest firmware is much newer than that but seems to cause issues(like sport mode not working). I tested the sport button using the old and new HVAC stacks when I first got the radio installed and it worked perfectly on both. I do not use sport mode very often though so have not really tested it in the months since I put the radio in. Sport mode enables faster shifting but disables mds. Since I drive my car a lot and I mean a lot on the hwy I get much better gas mileage putting the tranny in track(even faster shifts and i keep mds) However i find driving with the tranny in street with steering in track and TC off (my default custom)to be the way I drive the car 99.99% of the time.

Ron

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 16 RT and it had the 5.0 radio. I dont believe a new 8.4 radio will give you the performance pages if your car had a 5.0 radio along with STP. The problem here with the infotainment upgrade is they program it to work with your car based on vin number. If your car did not have the pages before you put in the radio it wont have it after you put in the radio.(that is how it worked with my 16) Now I did get the voice commands to work(set temp to x degrees and so on) with the new radio. My sport button also still worked with the new radio. I got a 17 HVAC stack that had the STP button so my car now has the STP button, however it did not work until I got a tazer and enabled performance pages. After that it works perfect. Unless they changed it though the new radio comes with the firmware 14.9 The latest firmware is much newer than that but seems to cause issues(like sport mode not working). I tested the sport button using the old and new HVAC stacks when I first got the radio installed and it worked perfectly on both. I do not use sport mode very often though so have not really tested it in the months since I put the radio in. Sport mode enables faster shifting but disables mds. Since I drive my car a lot and I mean a lot on the hwy I get much better gas mileage putting the tranny in track(even faster shifts and i keep mds) However i find driving with the tranny in street with steering in track and TC off (my default custom)to be the way I drive the car 99.99% of the time.

Ron
Everything works but climate is allowing only super cold or super hot options. Can't set specific climate temps. Also showing in Fehreinheit and not Celsius. Went to settings display and there is no units option. Any ideas?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
nope. by the Celsius comment you live in Canada? You may want to talk to the support line on infotainment. I did not have any issues like. If you use the voice commands can you set the temp to what you want? press the voice command button once and say set drivers side temp to x Celsius? Also did you reboot the radio after using the ODB2?
I will see if the dealer mode will allow you set temp. I need about 15 minutes to go look if you are going to still be on then.

Ron

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well the User guide says its under the units section of settings. I however do not show that on my radio

Ron
I don't believe there is a units section. I think it was preprogrammed for US. That's pretty much what it's locked in at. As for Android Auto. Works great with current media stack. Lol. Don't ask how.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Didn't work. Nothing did. Sending unit back. Temp control is messed up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Kieth,

does the media hub just pop up from the glove compartment? easy plug and play? pop up then just reconnect the connectors and just pop it back in? i bought the 8.4 uconnect from infotainment and about to install and saw that there are lot of videos on how to replace the radio from infotainment but i haven't seen one for the media hub.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts