Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,317 Posts
Do you have an unlocked PCM / Tuner ? If not that, you will need to get both. We typically recommend the following package:

Now to the horsepower. Long tube headers and midpipes will get you close to what you're looking for, we have used and like Kooks the best.

- Alexis

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why add only 25-30 hp? That’s not much in seat of pants feeling. Or is this the beginning of more adds?

·
Registered
874 Posts
How does unlocking the PCM add horsepower? I know you can tune it, but tune 25-30 hp with just headers? I thought the stock headers were good.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,788 Posts
Canned tune on stock engine can pick up some horsepower with just a tune, it changes parameters dealing with fuel, timing, etc. Things that are more set for emissions and gas mileage.

When modding (the headers for instance), you can adjust the parameters even more to take advantage of increased flow, volumetric efficiency, scavenging, etc. Each additional mod you can log, and the tuner can make adjustments for your individual numbers.

My simple understanding ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
874 Posts
Canned tune on stock engine can pick up some horsepower with just a tune, it changes parameters dealing with fuel, timing, etc. Things that are more set for emissions and gas mileage.

When modding (the headers for instance), you can adjust the parameters even more to take advantage of increased flow, volumetric efficiency, scavenging, etc. Each additional mod you can log, and the tuner can make adjustments for your individual numbers.

My simple understanding ;)

A Guy
Interesting. That would have been my basic understanding too. I guess with tunes I always thought you were tuning the car to perform better, not really adding power. But I guess if you’re tuning things to take advantage of air etc you will add power. Dumb question. 😂

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,788 Posts
I liken it to the technological equivalent of old tricks of changing carburetor jets and power valve, lighter springs on advance weights in the distributor, flipping the air cleaner lid, etc. Only constantly changeable on the fly

A Guy

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
A Guy
Has anyone done this and confirmed (via dyno or ET) the difference bet/ stock vs tuned stock (i.e. no mods)? I'd consider an email tune from one of the big dogs just to hold me over until full rebuild. It's still a costly endeavor ($1k), but the PCM unlock and HPtuner will be needed down the road anyways.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I couldn't resist the urge so my PCM is currently getting unlocked. HPtune to follow. Short term goal: Beat stock 1320s. To be continued...
I impatiently await your results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I couldn't resist the urge so my PCM is currently getting unlocked. HPtune to follow. Short term goal: Beat stock 1320s. To be continued...
I’m with you. Waiting for long tubes and mid pipe to come in. Already paid for unlocked pcm. Expensive at first but sets you up for any other mods down the road. I’m like a kid on Christmas morning waiting for the call that the parts have come in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts