Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Just ordered my 2018 dodge challenger 392 t/a indigo blue. Anyone have any comments on the t/a or likes or dislikes. Also does the 392 t/a come with the metal gas and brake petals or do I have to buy them.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
They came with my GT with the V6. So I can't see why Dodge would not include them on a premium SRT powered model like the T/A.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I've been lusting after a Maximum Steel T/A 392 and have read just about everything about them on the forums and other places around the interweb. The things to like are just to many to list. The main things I've heard on the negative side, is the abrasive brake pads on the 6-piston Brembos which will result in expensive rotor replacement (something to expect with a high performance automobile), and the extra care that goes into keeping the satin black hood paint and roof/deck-lid decals looking nice. There are special products made just for these types of finishes.

The T/A has been considered a sales-flop (not sure why)...and there's some conjecture that it may not be offered in the future. If they discontinue it before I can buy one, I'll either buy a used 2018, or replicate the T/A appearance on a Scat-pack (which appears to be here to stay).

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,936 Posts
Yeah, I heard the same thing on this forum that the T/A was considered a sales flop, not sure where the source is on that. Every single T/A I know of, on every dealer lot near me has sold, maybe demand wasn't high and they discounted them, not sure. I never see the ones that sold on the roads, could be cause of winter. There must have been 25 of them on the lots since last Spring that have sold.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Congratulations! Good to hear. Welcome to the forum. Let us know how you do...

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
I've been lusting after a Maximum Steel T/A 392 and have read just about everything about them on the forums and other places around the interweb. The things to like are just to many to list. The main things I've heard on the negative side, is the abrasive brake pads on the 6-piston Brembos which will result in expensive rotor replacement (something to expect with a high performance automobile), and the extra care that goes into keeping the satin black hood paint and roof/deck-lid decals looking nice. There are special products made just for these types of finishes.

The T/A has been considered a sales-flop (not sure why)...and there's some conjecture that it may not be offered in the future. If they discontinue it before I can buy one, I'll either buy a used 2018, or replicate the T/A appearance on a Scat-pack (which appears to be here to stay).

The TA's do offer some nice "small goodies" compared to the SP, but one could go with a SP if the TA disappears, and you could get close. You'll also have the advantage of going with or without the 6 piston Brembos, which depends on your needs/wants.

Obviously when I ordered my '16 SP, the TA's weren't out yet, but I always liked the TA style side stripe, so I had the dealer add this before delivery. I wasn't going after the complete TA look, as I wanted to have the stock hood with the Modern R/T hood stripe. I'm pleased with the end results.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had been looking at the challenger for years.. I had test drove the SPS, SRT and the SE way back when. I knew at some point i would get one. When the T/A came out, it made the decision easy... I had always loved the 1970 TA, and when i saw this T/A there was my opportunity.

There was a post about the T/A being a flop... that was one persons opinion. Where I live, Hellcats, and Scats are all over the dealer lots.. any time a T/A arrives.. it goes fast... if the T/A turns out to be a two year run, it will be disappointing, but as a T/A owner, I wont mind, I have mine...

NOW, Keeping the brake dust off the wheels... that's my biggest beef..

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
The TA's do offer some nice "small goodies" compared to the SP, but one could go with a SP if the TA disappears, and you could get close. You'll also have the advantage of going with or without the 6 piston Brembos, which depends on your needs/wants.

Obviously when I ordered my '16 SP, the TA's weren't out yet, but I always liked the TA style side stripe, so I had the dealer add this before delivery. I wasn't going after the complete TA look, as I wanted to have the stock hood with the Modern R/T hood stripe. I'm pleased with the end results.
OH do I like that! Really do...

Quick question...opinion, I was so torn when deciding between the tail band and the side stripes. BUT IF, I kept the stripes shorter, like yours. Could I leave the tail band and add that exact side stripe??? OR would it be too busy....

I really appreciate everyone's opinion. Thanks! (now would be the time...)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Stripes are one of those things you have to "feel". How does it make you "feel" when you look at it. Put a photo on your computer desktop or smartphone wallpaper and look at it a lot. Then change to another option. You'll start to develop happy good feelings when you look at the car that's the color and has the appearance that you like.

For me, what I like about the T/A, the most, is the black top color over the colored sides. If I ever ordered one, I'd order the stripe delete and just have the black hood/roof/deck/spoiler. Since I'm not overly enamored with the SRT hood they put on the T/A, I could replicate the look with vinyl wraps on a SP 392, with the traditional hood. This would get me out of the Brembo brakes as well.....which I don't need or want. I also like subdued colors, so I'd do Black over Maximum Steel, Granite, Octane Red, or even Black over Black (Satin over metallic). All with black wheels, no chrome, creates a sinister look.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
OH do I like that! Really do...

Quick question...opinion, I was so torn when deciding between the tail band and the side stripes. BUT IF, I kept the stripes shorter, like yours. Could I leave the tail band and add that exact side stripe??? OR would it be too busy....

I really appreciate everyone's opinion. Thanks! (now would be the time...)

Thanks. Just me, but I'm a "side stripe" guy with these Challengers. Having both the side and the rear SP on at the same time, just doesn't look "right" to my eyes. Again just me, but they seem to fight each other, and don't flow together well.

Some have done this and like it, but that's not my cup of tea.

Best of luck deciding with yours.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Thanks. Just me, but I'm a "side stripe" guy with these Challengers. Having both the side and the rear SP on at the same time, just doesn't look "right" to my eyes. Again just me, but they seem to fight each other, and don't flow together well.

Some have done this and like it, but that's not my cup of tea.

Best of luck deciding with yours.
Yes, you are right. I know it.... knew it. Just thought with the shorter stripe, but alas the directional thing.....
Thanks all!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just love my '17 T/A 392. Yes, keeping it clean is hard but that's part of it. After you are done cleaning it, you just admire it. Had my Contusion Blue since last June. Like someone said, keeping the front wheels clean is a pain in the *ss!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,754 Posts
The T/A does come with the Bright Pedals. Once you have a VIN#, it will be on the build sheet as well

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
The T/A does come with the Bright Pedals. Once you have a VIN#, it will be on the build sheet as well

A Guy
Thanks for remembering the OP's question.:SM030:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes the brakes are dirty and squeak a bit when dirty, but damn they work good. My T/A is easy to take care of compared to the last two trucks I had. I am just overall very happy with my choice of going with this car. It is fast, fun, and looks amazing.

·
Registered
15,069 Posts
My mechanic has a srt and he took care of this problem by changing to ceramic pads and rotors
Rotors are fine, leave them. Just swap the front pads to the Z23-1405 or Z26-1405 from PowerStop. You can leave the Brembo pads in the rear as they barely dust. Car will stop fine on the street and stay clean, for high speed use go back to Brembo pads.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts