Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has installed this set up on their 18’ 6’.4? How was the install? I don’t know to much about the turbo world but have the shaker sys. & want to keep it. I like the top end power a turbo puts out inatead of the low end power & stress of the supercharger on the engine. I’m looking to get around 600 HP out of it. Which set up did you go with “Turbos” they offer about a dozen!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I’m in the process of reverse engineering the Hellion setup. I can tell you that I’m going to be running a 66mm T4 flange pair of snails. I’ll also be using the Turbo Smart EBoost2 boost controller. All said and done I’m quite sure I’ll be able to build my setup for around 2k as opposed to the 8k starting point that Hellion offers the kit at. I’m planning on using the same Waste Gates, & BOV as well which are the most expensive part of the build. Piping is fairly cheap and I do my own welding so no out side cost to fabricators. With that being said the Hellion kit is very well built and worth the money. I just someone who knows how to fabricate and thus not willing to pay for other folks engineering. 6-8 psi should net you your desired results if you have the supporting mods to for boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,596 Posts
If I remember correctly,Luke at Steve White has installed a TVS/Magnuson blower on a Shaker setup, so that is a viable option probably for less money than an installed Hellion kit. It would give you the 600 whp that you're looking for too.

Please don't get me wrong that I'm not trying to talk you out of a twin turbo setup because that is my Absolute Dream setup for our Challenger's and would be the way that I'd go if I ever decided to mod Ruby (our 2015 SRT 392).

The stock 62mm turbos that are included turbo's are plenty to get you to your 600 whp goal (and then some). The problem with modding/power is that it's addictive and for most people (myself included), once you reach that 600 whp goal, it's not going to be enough and you'll want more, so spending more on upgraded turbos might save you money in the long run. You don't want to buy the turbos twice. If you're sure that 600-650 whp is your Happy spot then maybe look into a ball bearing center turbo for $500 more. These will help your turbo spool better and have a lower boost threshold (this is the time from when you give it gas to the time it makes boost/power).

If you do this, I'd Highly recommend the E-Boost 2 controller that DakBuilder is going to use. It does Alot of things to make your boost more manageable like boost by speed, boost by gear, etc. It's just a Nice piece that could make your driving experience better and also your car quicker.

Last but certainly not least, get the Absolute best tune that you can find for your build! This will make or break things (literally) and is the piece of the puzzle that will be the Biggest determining factor if you'll Love or Hate your setup!

Please let us know what you decide to do and Good Luck! (y)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The TT Hellion kit will get you to 600hp with their 5psi spring and obviously keep your Shaker. The temptation of switching springs for more boost would be very tough to ignore and smoke your engine.

You could also go with the Magnuson from Steve White that will keep your Shaker with their optional bracket. For a centrifigul choice you could go with either the Procharger or even the new kit from Vortech which will get you to where you want.

I know how I am and I know that I won't want to spend a ton of money and only use 5 or 6psi so If I do decide to go with boost I think I would want to get a forged short block so you can use the boost that the kits are capable of.

Either way let us know it seems like a ton of people boost their 6.4's but we don't get a ton of long term results while keeping the motor stock. Just about everyone ends up putting a forged short block in there which goes back to my opinion that it would be tough to spend that much money and leaving the psi so low.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If your just looking for 600hp why not just spray it? Its the cheapest route to go to get to the hp # your after.
Spraying is only cheap if you don’t plan on using it that often. As someone who has sprayed for the last 2 yrs I can assure you it isn’t cheap. At nearly $400 a track outing.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The TT Hellion kit will get you to 600hp with their 5psi spring and obviously keep your Shaker. The temptation of switching springs for more boost would be very tough to ignore and smoke your engine.

You could also go with the Magnuson from Steve White that will keep your Shaker with their optional bracket. For a centrifigul choice you could go with either the Procharger or even the new kit from Vortech which will get you to where you want.

I know how I am and I know that I won't want to spend a ton of money and only use 5 or 6psi so If I do decide to go with boost I think I would want to get a forged short block so you can use the boost that the kits are capable of.

Either way let us know it seems like a ton of people boost their 6.4's but we don't get a ton of long term results while keeping the motor stock. Just about everyone ends up putting a forged short block in there which goes back to my opinion that it would be tough to spend that much money and leaving the psi so low.
You are absolutely correct. Take a look at my build thread, I have a comparison of the stock piston skirt and a forged piston skirt. Once you see how short the stock piston skirt is you will understand why any boosted 6.4 needs custom forged slugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts