Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just purchased a 2018 R/T Plus in granite. It comes with the blacktop package and blacktop strip. It is on its way from the factory to the dealer. It was already on the way, so I didn’t pick options. It had everything on my wish list and I got a great deal that made it worth the 3 week wait. It will be here on 4/13.

Now before anyone gets all upset, I love blackout. I have a 2007 all black TRD SE FJ Cruiser and it is my baby. Putting her to bed while I fix her up back to new condition.

On to the Challenger. The striping on the top does look great but it’s just not me so I am wondering if it is hard to remove? And should I ask the dealer to remove it before I take possession? I actually didn’t notice it in the print out until I got home.

Also, There are parts of the blacktop package I like and parts that I don’t. I really want to swap out all my badges for the normal badges. And I HAVE to swap out the grille. Love the chrome look on the grille. I would not have cared on any other vehicle I have owned but a challenger is a work of art so it seems to matter to me. So where should I go for all these parts? Any recommendations? I want a script grille “challenger” and the red R/T emblems and an OEM grille. Actually I want all OEM parts. That’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know where you are located, but I would trade you my silver grille parts for your black ones.

I am in Oregon so that doesn't work so well but thanks for the reply. I cant even find where to order the emblems for a 2018 but I just started searching so I guess I need to keep searching.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Shaz18, where in Oregon? I live in PDX, and there's a BUNCH of us Modern Mopar owners around. Look up the Oregon Chapter of Challenger Demons on FB.

Anyway, the stripes will come off with a hair dryer and some patience. The badges and stuff can easily be found on eBay and Amazon. The grill is another story. To add the silver grille surround, which I have on my Scat Pack, you are probably going to need to swap out the entire black grille portion. The silver surround is simply painted. This might entail a removal of the front fascia to swap one out.

The picture attached is me leading a pack of 236 Modern Mopars last Sept. We'll be doing it again in August. Look in the West section of the Regional Forums, Mopars on the Mountain 2018. PM Me anytime.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shaz18, where in Oregon? I live in PDX, and there's a BUNCH of us Modern Mopar owners around. Look up the Oregon Chapter of Challenger Demons on FB.

Anyway, the stripes will come off with a hair dryer and some patience. The badges and stuff can easily be found on eBay and Amazon. The grill is another story. To add the silver grille surround, which I have on my Scat Pack, you are probably going to need to swap out the entire black grille portion. The silver surround is simply painted. This might entail a removal of the front fascia to swap one out.

The picture attached is me leading a pack of 236 Modern Mopars last Sept. We'll be doing it again in August. Look in the West section of the Regional Forums, Mopars on the Mountain 2018. PM Me anytime.
Hi there. I am in Beaverton!! That looks like a blast. I did a run similar with a group of FJ owners a couple of years ago and it was fun. I am definitely interested and will be looking for that.

The problem with looking on ebay or amazon for emblems is that I am worried about vehicle YEAR specific emblems. Not sure how to tell if a generic grille emblem will just fit nicely on a 2018 grille. One I found on ebay specifically stated that it would not fit on a 2018 R/T. Not sure why so I started to think that the clips are spaced differently based on year. I doubt they are all the same so I am am trying to find some that fit 2018's but perhaps I am just over thinking it.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Hi there. I am in Beaverton!! That looks like a blast. I did a run similar with a group of FJ owners a couple of years ago and it was fun. I am definitely interested and will be looking for that.

The problem with looking on ebay or amazon for emblems is that I am worried about vehicle YEAR specific emblems. Not sure how to tell if a generic grille emblem will just fit nicely on a 2018 grille. One I found on ebay specifically stated that it would not fit on a 2018 R/T. Not sure why so I started to think that the clips are spaced differently based on year. I doubt they are all the same so I am am trying to find some that fit 2018's but perhaps I am just over thinking it.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...opars-mountain-will-august-4th-2018-a-639434/

I took off the regular badges and used 3M Trim tape on the back to hold on the new ones. There are threads on here on how to drill out the posts that hold on the front badges. Takes like 2 minutes. Steve White Motors, a vendor on here, has everything you might need. Check him out in the vendor section. Luke is the contact, he'll steer you right.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...opars-mountain-will-august-4th-2018-a-639434/

I took off the regular badges and used 3M Trim tape on the back to hold on the new ones. There are threads on here on how to drill out the posts that hold on the front badges. Takes like 2 minutes. Steve White Motors, a vendor on here, has everything you might need. Check him out in the vendor section. Luke is the contact, he'll steer you right.
Awesome, thanks for that advice. Cant wait!! the pic you sent looks amazing. Love the front of that vehicle and the color.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,768 Posts
Just generally 2015+ are the same. There hadn't been cosmetic changes beyond wheels that I am aware of. A Guy

·
Registered
331 Posts
Stripes are not hard to remove. A hair dryer or heat gun will make it a lot easier. Constantly moving the heat back and forth makes the vinyl be able to lift easy and not break apart. Don't sit with the heat on one area to long though because if its to hot it can cause damage to the paint.

TONS of youtube video's on it. If you have any questions, let me know. I lifted the stripes off my '14 blacktop as well!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Situation turned messy. Dealer said the car was going to a dealer 500 miles away and that someone would drive it here. Personally, I was not thrilled about someone taking a road trip in my new car before I got it since I am buying new. So then they came back with a price of $500 to ship it. And then they said $500 to remove blacktop stripes.

It should not be this painful so I canceled the deal and ordered the exact car I want and got an even better deal so I am happy but now have to wait 8-10 weeks or more. It has been 2 days and the wait is killing me.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Situation turned messy. Dealer said the car was going to a dealer 500 miles away and that someone would drive it here. Personally, I was not thrilled about someone taking a road trip in my new car before I got it since I am buying new. So then they came back with a price of $500 to ship it. And then they said $500 to remove blacktop stripes.

It should not be this painful so I canceled the deal and ordered the exact car I want and got an even better deal so I am happy but now have to wait 8-10 weeks or more. It has been 2 days and the wait is killing me.
$500 to remove stripes?? Wow, I should get into that business.

NO Way I would want someone to drive my new car 500 miles to get it to me either.

I'm glad you got out of that original deal so you could get what you wanted elsewhere.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts

Good, both of those are ridiculous.

chances are they sold your car to someone else and made up some exorbitant price to get you to forget about it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
$500 to remove stripes?? Wow, I should get into that business.

NO Way I would want someone to drive my new car 500 miles to get it to me either.

I'm glad you got out of that original deal so you could get what you wanted elsewhere.
Yeah. Dealers sometimes forget what it is like to be a customer who only goes to a dealership every 10yrs or so. Certain things matter to us and it is an experience to be able to buy a new car. They tried telling me that they only let elderly drivers drive the cars, blah, blah, blah. And the blacktop stripe removal was the straw that broke this camels back. Once they said $500 I knew they were not looking out for me at all. I could have done it with a hair dryer but I have never done it and I wouldnt want to experiment on such an expensive car. Local vinyl shop said it wouldnt be more than 100-200. I figured the dealer would just offer to remove it before I took delivery. Oh well....doesnt matter now cause I ordered one just perfect for me with the exact options that mattered to me.

Now the wait is on. It has been 3 days since I placed order and the wait is killing me:)

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

Good for you. They should have shipped it for you. And, the waiting is the hardest part...

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
you'll feel better soon

I went to the dealer to drive a couple models to see which one I would order in about 12 months. Challenger is a sickness and I got bit. I walked out that day with one rolling over my existing car loan into Challenger financing loosing about 4K on poor trade-in. I just feel sorry for you guys that put theirs away for the winter! I can't keep my hands-off mine! I think my girlfriend is kind of jealous. She still hasn't driven it since purchase in August. She would take my 650i conv. every chance she got!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts