Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I bought my car Dec. 17 last year it has been rather cool, well, what passes for cool weather in northern CA. However, it is forecast that we in this area are going to experience a mini heat wave this week with temperatures expected to hit the mid 70's. (I know I know some people would kill puppies for these temps right about now, but I find these mid-winter warms up a bit of a pain. If the calendar says "winter" I want winter temperatures, darn it, not spring/early summer temperatures.)

Today on the way to work this AM with ambient temperature around 59F to 60F oil temperature hit 225F. Coolant temperature was considerably lower, around the 205F temperature mark.

Now I know synthetic engine oil doesn't really come into its own until 212F. (This is the temperature at which the second viscosity index number: the "40" as in 0w-40; applies.) And even higher temperatures shouldn't faze the oil.

But still, 225F in just 60F ambient temperature?

I'm thinking ahead to summer. Where I live/drive summer time ambient temperatures can reach and go beyond 100F. I've seen upwards of 111F (one year towards the end of June!) though it only got up to 107F last year. In late September no less. In the past on road trips through the desert from Barstow to Needles and beyond into AZ I've seen ambient temperatures of 119F.

Now generally, make that always, I prefer to leave my cars factory stock but I have to wonder if maybe just maybe a better oil cooler setup is warranted? I wouldn't mind seeing lower oil temperatures. Not too low mind you. I know it is better if the oil gets to 212F or a bit hotter as this helps remove the water that the oil can collect from combustion contamination. But it just seems 225F in such mild ambient temperature will result in much higher ambient temperatures oil temperatures reaching 230F, 240F possibly even close to 250F.

Can anyone make any recommendations regarding a better oil cooler? Has anyone installed a better factory or aftermarket oil cooler? What have been the results? Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
You're fine, and that temp is normal.

My '16 SP's oil temp usually runs 10-15 degrees higher than the coolant temp, at any ambient. In 100+ degree temps, coolant still runs about 205.

Nothing to worry about, This is how the 392 runs.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
You'rs is fine typical oil temp for a SP / SRT with the 6.4 will run 215-225* F, especially at low speeds.

Once you're rolling at a steady state, it will drop down.

In cold weather <30*, it will tend to stay around coolant temp.

You have synthetic oil and this stuff will handle the heat w/o issue. That's where the "40" in the Ow40 handles that for you.

These engines have the oil squirter jets that cool the underside of the pistons, at low speeds / high loads, that oil is going to pick up heat (this isn't present on 5.7 engines) to keep the internals cooled properly.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, guys.

So "high" oil temperature normal, then.

Ok. Not the first time I've encountered this in a car just forgot about it. Just remembered I had a diesel Macan, as a loaner, and the Macan had an oil temperature display and the oil temperature really got pretty high, way above 212F, even though I was not pushing the engine and even though ambient temperature was not high. The temperature got high enough that I spoke to the dealer SA, who had given me the loaner, about this and he said it was ok, normal.

I guess I'm just not used to being able to monitor oil temperatures and thus not used seeing such high oil temperatures.

The thing I notice is at highway speed in 8th gear and the engine only running at around 2K RPMs or thereabouts the oil temperature doesn't really drop all that fast or much. This sort of was a surprise to me, too.

Anyhow, it will be interesting to see just how the oil temperature behaves in summer temperatures.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
62F last night leaving work. Couple of miles on city streets nothing gruesome just normal city driving. Mostly 35mph limit. Catch some green lights. Catch some red lights. Manual shifting the 8-speed keeping RPMs at or below 2K. A/C off.

Oil temperature reached 230F. Don't recall coolant temperature but it was not elevated at all, I think just around 200F.

Dropped co-worker off at BART station and after a few more blocks of city driving was on the freeway. Averaging around 65mph the oil temperature did finally fall some, to around 220F, but it took some miles and really only dropped as I was descending the grade down into Dublin/Pleasanton CA area.

When 100F summer temperatures arrive this is going to be interesting.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Those temps are normal and nothing to fret over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts