Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have gone back and forth between which of the two vehicles I would like to make my next and prior to the 2018 Mustang release, little was know about it thus my heart was set on the Challenger. Now that performance, quarter mile times etc. have been surfacing on the Mustang I have begun to swing my favor towards the Mustang. Pricing was initially an issue but it hasn't taken long for the Mustangs to see $5-6k off MSRP. I've read good things about the automatic transmission in both vehicles which would be my transmission of choice. Whether you have gone from a Mustang to a Challenger or vice versa, I would like to know why you would choose or have chosen the Challenger.

*If this is the wrong subforum for this thread please move to correct sub *

·
Super Moderator
14,214 Posts
The Challenger is a beautiful retro-inspired muscle car. Besides its great looks, it is a very comfortable car to drive because of its size (basically a slightly shortened two-door Charger). As a bonus, it has decent rear seat room (i.e., much more than a Mustang or Camaro) and a large trunk.

Over the years, it has won many awards. Look at this impressive list:

Best of Show- 2006 Challenger Concept-North America International Auto Show (Detroit) Concept
Best of Show (2006)- LA Auto Show
Best Concept Car (2006)- Autoweek
People's Choice Award for 2006- NAIAS
2008 Collectible Car of the Future- Friends of the National Automotive History Collection (NAHC)
CNET Editor’s Choice- October 2008
Top Owner Satisfaction List for 2009- Annual Auto Survey
Consumer Reports 10 Best Looking Cars for 2009- Vehix.com
Most Appealing Mid-Size Sporty Car- J.D. Power & Associates 2009 APEAL Survey
Best of Class Ideal Vehicle for 2009, Sporty Car Category- Auto Pacific
The 25 Most Collectible Cars of the Last 25 Years (SRT8)- Consumer Guide Automotive Recommended Buy for 2009- Consumer Guides Automotive
Motor Trend Car of the Year (contender)-Motor Trend
5-Star Safety Rating (2009 Challenger)- NHTSA
Most Beautiful Cars 2010- Forbes
2010 Polk Loyalty Award- Sports Car
10 Cars that Will Look Good in 10 Years- U.S. News & World Report (March 2011)
Top Ten Most Fun to Drive Cars- Fast Car Lane (2011 Challenger SRT)
Best Mid-Size Sporty Car 2011- J.D. Power and Associates (Initial Quality)
America’s Best-Loved Cars- J.D. Power & Associates 2011 APEAL Survey-1st Place Midsize Sporty
2012 Shoppers’ Choice Award- cars.com “Best of 2012” NAIAS Event
Top 10 Cars to Drive to the Big Game- Roadfly TV
2011 Polk Automotive Award- Sports Car Category- Polk Loyalty Awards
Best Affordable Sports Cars 2012 (4 of 8)- U.S. News & World Report
MSN 2012 “Manly Machines.”
Auto Industry’s Greatest Hits (2013 Retro Cars)- bankrate.com
Fox News- Challenger SRT- One of the Five Best Remakes, Future Classic.
2013 Shoppers’ Choice Award- cars.com
Strategic Vision- 18th Annual Total Quality Index Study- Runner-up, Specialty Coupe
10 Affordable Cars with High Exterior Design Ratings- J.D. Power (2013)
2013 Polk Loyalty Award- Non-Luxury Sport Mid-Size Car
Top 10 Future Collectible Cars- 2014 Challenger Shaker- Hagerty Insurance
Top Gear (BBC): The Cool 500- The Coolest Cars Ever Made
Top 10 Cars with the Best Resale Value (2014)- Kelley Blue Book
7 of the Best 2014 Cars for the Money- Insider News
Initial Quality Study Award- Mid-Size Sporty Car- J.D. Power (2014)
Top 10 Most Appealing Cars- J.D. Power & Associates 2014 APEAL Survey
One of the 7 Best 2014 Cars for the Money- InsiderCarNews
Total Quality Impact Award- Specialty Car Coupe (2016)- Strategic Vision

·
Super Moderator
14,214 Posts
To learn more about the origin of the Challenger's retro design, watch this interview of the original designers of the 2006 Challenger concept car.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
I own both; a 2015 Scat Pack and a 2017 Mustang GT Premium.
The Scat is a faster, more comfortable day to day car, and imo has better technology than the Mustang, the only exception is that it doesn't have one touch up windows.
I like them both, but the Scat Pack is my go to car for trips.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
2016 Scat Pack bought new. Hoping to die with this car. Any questions???

·
Registered
281 Posts
Totally different cars. If you like roominess, don't care as much about track times and prefer a more retro look with gobs of usable torque, go Challenger. I prefer the Mopar barcalounger hot rod!

If you like the look of the Mustang, prefer a smaller, lighter car that delivers more at the track out of the box, passengers/back seat not a concern, then go with the Ford.

I really like the Coyote motor in the Ford. Drove one of few years ago. Great motor. Then they changed the look to this model and it really doesn't light my fire. But that's subjective, to each his own.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
It's all "paper racing" and that's not worth much IMO.

Drive both, buy the one YOU like the most
I agree with John - you can look at specs all day long; in the end you go with the one that feels the best to YOU.

Everyone has different ways of perceiving how a machine feels / behaves and you don't get that from reading specs or what's online.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
We all know we can't race daily unless you commit it to be one. What about the daily drivings? If that's your plan for your upcoming DD car then which one should you feel comfortable driving on a regular basis.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We all know we can't race daily unless you commit it to be one. What about the daily drivings? If that's your plan for your upcoming DD car then which one should you feel comfortable driving on a regular basis.
This will be my new DD and the wife will use the Honda Civic. I have always driven smaller vehicles my entire life (27 years old). My first car was a 1998 Hyundai Elantra, next was a 02 Acura RSX Type s, and then onto the civic for a more eco commuter friendly vehicle while in college and now out of.

Before I purchased the Acura I test drove many used vehicles seeking my first "fast" car or what would feel like it at the time. I loved the Mitsubishi 3000GT but found it to feel like a very large car at the time and thus opted for the smaller vehicle. I've test drove a 2016 Challenger SP recently and thought it was very roomy and the car sounded/looked great. I have yet to test drive a Mustang but given I feel the current Honda Civic I drive now doesn't feel cramped at all I don't believe the in-cabin room will be any kind of issue as both cars are much larger than my current ride.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Comes down to priorities I guess. This is just me I'm talking about, I understand everyone has their own priorities and I'm not being critical if your priorities are different. Just my 0.02 cents and it's worth less than that! :)

That said, I could care less about 0-60 times, bragging rights about how many horses I have under the hood, or being able to put some 18 year old kid in his place off the line from a stoplight. I don't track my car, etc. - I just want something that looks good (...and I think the Challenger is the best looking car on the road and the ONLY current production car that has stayed true to its classic muscle car roots...), allows me to tinker with mods that don't result in warranty issues, and is a blast to drive every day. The Hemi Challengers tick all those boxes for me. My R/T is my daily driver - it's not tucked away in a garage, it sits outside and is driven every day all year round and it puts a big ol' smile on my face every time I get in it and sometimes just looking at it sitting there in the driveway!

I personally don't like any of the current production iterations of the relaunched Camaro and the only modern generation Mustang I actually dig is the later half of the 5th gen (2010-2014) - I have zero interest in the styling of the current production 6th generation. Full disclosure, my daughter has a 2011 Mustang with the 3.7L V6 / Getrag-Ford MT82 6-speed manual and I enjoy driving it upon occasion.

Drive them both, don't worry about what's on paper, and buy the one you connect with.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Drive them both - choose the one you like best. As others have said, the Challenger in my opinion just gives you more options and the 6.4 liter 392 Scatpack has loads of power - power you may never even use. Incredibly comfortable to drive on long hauls and a ball from red light to red light. And as others have said, I'm not into going to the track for times etc... so for me the Challenger was the best choice. I can easily fit all 5 of the family members in this car as well as multiple golf bags in the trunk. For me its the best looking of the muscle cars and gives me the most options. Good luck to you always fun making this choice!!

Reactions: jbitter

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Given the current 2018 Challenger Dodge incentives end 1/31/2018, would it be safe to say a new one would arrive after that date? Dodge is offering $1250.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don’t worry about specs. Go by feel, fun and comfort.

Also you need to decide if you want a sports car or muscle car. These cars as very different from each other.

With the right couple mods though the challenger scat pack will handle just as well on the street.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
180 Posts
I cross shopped mustang, camaro and challenger before I ordered a 16 scat pack as a daily driver(had a heads cam c6 vette as a weekend/track car until just recently). The trunk and interiors were just too small on the other two cars. Now the 18 gt is really sweet from a technology standpoint (new 12.5” digital gauge cluster is very cool, 10 spd auto and finally has magnetic ride option).

I’ve seen bonestock 10spd auto GT’s trapping 119 in the 1/4 which is pretty nuts, tune only on drag radials low 11’s. The 1/4 times are very similar to the scat packs(within a couple tenths) and the quickest bonestock 18 was less than .20 quicker than the quickest stock scat. So in a straight line they are very close except for the trap speed gap. I’d imagine the aftermarket will be better as far as hp gains from bolt ons go as GM and Ford have been cheaper/easier to mod than mopar. All that said, I wouldn’t trade my Pcp SP for an 18 GT.

One other reason besides better comfort, space, looks of our cars is the fan boys for camaros and mustangs tend to be a bit too blinded by loyalty and rarely do you see either group give credit where credit is due to a rival (SP,SRT, hellcat and demons). Look at forum threads or youtube vids and the venom they spit on rivals is ridiculous. I can appreciate any high perf car that puts down good numbers, especially if it’s at a decent price point, regardless of manufacturer.

I have no regrets, looking forward to see what Dodge has in the future going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
447 Posts
This will be my new DD and the wife will use the Honda Civic. I have always driven smaller vehicles my entire life (27 years old). My first car was a 1998 Hyundai Elantra, next was a 02 Acura RSX Type s, and then onto the civic for a more eco commuter friendly vehicle while in college and now out of.

Before I purchased the Acura I test drove many used vehicles seeking my first "fast" car or what would feel like it at the time. I loved the Mitsubishi 3000GT but found it to feel like a very large car at the time and thus opted for the smaller vehicle. I've test drove a 2016 Challenger SP recently and thought it was very roomy and the car sounded/looked great. I have yet to test drive a Mustang but given I feel the current Honda Civic I drive now doesn't feel cramped at all I don't believe the in-cabin room will be any kind of issue as both cars are much larger than my current ride.
My DD is a 2015 Civic SI 4 door. I have 3 adult kids now, but 4 doors are nice. It does what I need very good - quick get to work and back and decent gas mileage. It will be turned in when the lease runs out in May.

When I bought my new 2007 TL Type S, I chose that over the Lexus and Infinity because of rear leg room with kids. This is currently the wife's DD but will go back to me. I'm done having a stick in traffic driving. I want my heated leather back. The penalty will be gas mileage. The wife wants another Ram 1500.

Our two Challengers are show cars / weekend cars / garage queens.

In my situation if I were to want a DD to replace the Acura TL Type S, I'd choose a 2015+ Charger with a 3.6. Good gas mileage, good on power, good on insurance.

I have 8 vehicles total. Some for snow days (Saturn and a 2000 Maxima), some for the kids to drive, some for regular DD's.

Is your Honda a 2 door or 4 door?

You are young - do you plan on having kids?

You have to look at your own situation, financial, family, etc.

From what you said so far, I'd say the Mustang is for you.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Mustangs are awesome. They keep the towing and repair small-businesses going. Keep your AAA membership current and at least 3 local tow truck on speed-dial. Ford drivers like to say "I'd push my Ford before I'd drive a MOPAR". Great attitude, because they'll definitely be pushing their Ford at some point.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My DD is a 2015 Civic SI 4 door. I have 3 adult kids now, but 4 doors are nice. It does what I need very good - quick get to work and back and decent gas mileage. It will be turned in when the lease runs out in May.

When I bought my new 2007 TL Type S, I chose that over the Lexus and Infinity because of rear leg room with kids. This is currently the wife's DD but will go back to me. I'm done having a stick in traffic driving. I want my heated leather back. The penalty will be gas mileage. The wife wants another Ram 1500.

Our two Challengers are show cars / weekend cars / garage queens.

In my situation if I were to want a DD to replace the Acura TL Type S, I'd choose a 2015+ Charger with a 3.6. Good gas mileage, good on power, good on insurance.

I have 8 vehicles total. Some for snow days (Saturn and a 2000 Maxima), some for the kids to drive, some for regular DD's.

Is your Honda a 2 door or 4 door?

You are young - do you plan on having kids?

You have to look at your own situation, financial, family, etc.

From what you said so far, I'd say the Mustang is for you.
The Honda Civic is a 4 door sedan, very standard commuter vehicle. The wife just passed the Texas Bar and is looking for an attorney job now. The Honda is a year from being paid off. In regards to family, I think we will wait a few years for the first kid and in the meantime be saving for a home. It seems to be the new millennial trend as well.

Whichever vehicle I purchase I intend to keep for a while and don't see our financial situation being too much of an issue as of today. In my search for a 2018 scat pack, I can't seem to find one with the convenience package plus hyper black wheels for a reasonable price. There is a couple one-off fully loaded 2017-2018 Scat Packs for $40-41k that I had my eyes on now for a while. This was up until I found a Ford dealership in the Houston Metro area with 2018 Mustang GT Premiums fully loaded (Minus Magnaride) for $43k.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
don’t worry about specs. Go by feel, fun and comfort.

Also you need to decide if you want a sports car or muscle car. These cars as very different from each other.

With the right couple mods though the challenger scat pack will handle just as well on the street.

this is excellent advice!!!!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts