Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger SXT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken this car in 5 times. And five time they have told me it is a normal noise. i ask to please explain a cause for this normal noise. They said it is Harmonic noise. I would assume this to be correct but if you give throttle and the noise fluctuates with rpm that would not be a harmonic noise would it? All during cold starts last for 3 minutes loud then dissipates to a low low hum. Who at dodge can I get in touch with? I am royally discouraged. I have only 12k miles and noise started at 375. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would dare to say, as a human, all noises are 'harmonic' and thus that is just an empty statement.
That said, my car - 16 SXT - makes all kinds of weird-to-me as an old schooler, noises, and none have hurt it so far - 45K. I'm guessing vacuum stuff, brake pumps, air distribution system doors, and such that I just don't know about just yet.
I get a serious after-start 'hum' for a while, and all kinds of stuff operates for minutes after shutdown.
Maybe, it took 375 for your ear to get critical?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. It is there and loud. If all noises are harmonic. Then changing the pitch makes it null. This whining/fluctuates with changes in throttle.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
361 Posts
Let's see a video of it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,781 Posts
If you mean upload, the forum has no ability to directly post videos, they need to be uploaded on Youtube, or hosted on One Drive, etc.

Does it sound like the sound in the video in the 1st post here:

A Guy

·
Registered
516 Posts
Have you tried more than one dealership? And have you checked other/same vehicles to compare against?

If you want to test the most common cause/theory (vacuum pump noise) you could disconnect it and then start it/see if it goes away (you will set a check engine light however). Of all the noises a car makes when it starts is the one you describe that much more prominent?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried more than one dealership? And have you checked other/same vehicles to compare against?

If you want to test the most common cause/theory (vacuum pump noise) you could disconnect it and then start it/see if it goes away (you will set a check engine light however). Of all the noises a car makes when it starts is the one you describe that much more prominent?
I have tried a stethoscope put it on every part of the block and bolt ones. It sounds like a power steering pump whine. But when I placed it on the oil filter housing that’s when I heard it the loudest. Yes to answer you question I have brought to other dealerships. When I first bring it there they claim no noise. When I play the video they tell me oh we did not hear that. BS is what I call. It happens every cold start. I went to the dealership and was there when they cranked it. They said it was normal. I asked to explain normal. They could not. Tell what causes that normal sound. BS again. I have been a few cars that have the same engine. Chargers and challengers. Nothing like the noise I hear. The head mechanic sails it is a harmonic whatever sound caused by a syncing of parts that make the noise I call BS again. It makes the same noise plus changes when given the gas. I will up load to you tube and see if anyone hears the same noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Also they claimed that is was caused by resonator delete. I put back on the resonators and noise is louder. Here is a link.

It is the V6 SXT

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
The noise is present at cold start? If so you can remove the accessory drive belt -- carefully note its routing and direction of rotation so you can install it again correctly -- then start the engine and let it idle only long enough to determine if the noise is present or not.

If present the noise is from "inside" the engine.

If the noise not present it is from the accessory drive system.

The odds are it is from the accessory drive system.

My experience with other cars is a noisy accessory drive can be due to a bad water pump or a bad idler roller bearing,

However, hard to believe a noisy water pump could remain just noisy for nearly 12K miles.

Likewise a bad idler roller bearing.

This leaves something else to be the source of the noise.

When you remove the accessory drive belt carefully check it for any signs of abnormal tracking or degradation. I do not recall ever coming across a V-belt that was not tracking right.

In one case I found a serpentine belt with a sharp inside edge. I found this when I removed the belt to determine if the noise I was hearing was from inside the engine or from the accessory drive. It proved to be from the accessory drive and the source of the noise was a bad water pump. The pump bearings had enough play that this caused the water pump pulley to move out of position just enough that the edge of the belt rubbed against the pulley wall.

That the noise has been present for nearly 12K miles suggests the noise is "normal" albeit more obvious than with a majority of other cars.

I would suggest you check the power steering fluid level but only if -- to state the obvious -- the car has a power steering fluid reservoir. While I believe the car is equipped with electric power steering I also believe this has some fluid reservoir. If so check the fluid level.

You can do some rudimentary "tests" to try to isolate the noise. When your start the cold engine have all accessories off. Lights. A/C. Everything.

With the engine running and the noise present turn on the lights to see if an increase in electrical load affects the noise. IF it does that's a sign the noise is from the alternator.

Turn on the A/C. This adds both electrical load and A/C compressor load. If turning on the A/C affects the noise likely this is from the A/C compressor.

You can turn the steering wheel a bit in one direction then the other. I'm not a fan of cranking the steering wheel lock to lock with the car stationary. That is I believe not good for the steering system.

If you can arrange to start the engine and then with the noise present drive the car and make a series of slow but full lock or nearly full lock turns and this affects the noise then the power steering system is likely the source of the noise.

But absent low fluid or leak sign or some other clear sign of a problem that the noise has apparently persisted for nearly 12K miles without some engine hardware (water pump, idler roller, alternator, A/C compressor, steering, manifesting signs/symptoms of something clearly wrong suggests the noise is "normal".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The noise is present at cold start? If so you can remove the accessory drive belt -- carefully note its routing and direction of rotation so you can install it again correctly -- then start the engine and let it idle only long enough to determine if the noise is present or not.

If present the noise is from "inside" the engine.

If the noise not present it is from the accessory drive system.

The odds are it is from the accessory drive system.

My experience with other cars is a noisy accessory drive can be due to a bad water pump or a bad idler roller bearing,

However, hard to believe a noisy water pump could remain just noisy for nearly 12K miles.

Likewise a bad idler roller bearing.

This leaves something else to be the source of the noise.

When you remove the accessory drive belt carefully check it for any signs of abnormal tracking or degradation. I do not recall ever coming across a V-belt that was not tracking right.

In one case I found a serpentine belt with a sharp inside edge. I found this when I removed the belt to determine if the noise I was hearing was from inside the engine or from the accessory drive. It proved to be from the accessory drive and the source of the noise was a bad water pump. The pump bearings had enough play that this caused the water pump pulley to move out of position just enough that the edge of the belt rubbed against the pulley wall.

That the noise has been present for nearly 12K miles suggests the noise is "normal" albeit more obvious than with a majority of other cars.

I would suggest you check the power steering fluid level but only if -- to state the obvious -- the car has a power steering fluid reservoir. While I believe the car is equipped with electric power steering I also believe this has some fluid reservoir. If so check the fluid level.

You can do some rudimentary "tests" to try to isolate the noise. When your start the cold engine have all accessories off. Lights. A/C. Everything.

With the engine running and the noise present turn on the lights to see if an increase in electrical load affects the noise. IF it does that's a sign the noise is from the alternator.

Turn on the A/C. This adds both electrical load and A/C compressor load. If turning on the A/C affects the noise likely this is from the A/C compressor.

You can turn the steering wheel a bit in one direction then the other. I'm not a fan of cranking the steering wheel lock to lock with the car stationary. That is I believe not good for the steering system.

If you can arrange to start the engine and then with the noise present drive the car and make a series of slow but full lock or nearly full lock turns and this affects the noise then the power steering system is likely the source of the noise.

But absent low fluid or leak sign or some other clear sign of a problem that the noise has apparently persisted for nearly 12K miles without some engine hardware (water pump, idler roller, alternator, A/C compressor, steering, manifesting signs/symptoms of something clearly wrong suggests the noise is "normal".
They are telling me it is a Harmonic affect. Which is to hard to believe. If this is a Normal noise. What causes it?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Wow yeah the vids make it clear - that certainly isn't vacuum pump noise, that's pretty substantial. You mention the resonators were deleted but are back on it in the vids, correct? It doesn't sound stock - any other mods?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow yeah the vids make it clear - that certainly isn't vacuum pump noise, that's pretty substantial. You mention the resonators were deleted but are back on it in the vids, correct? It doesn't sound stock - any other mods?
No mods except K&N filter. My thoughts exactly. To the post before. They said they took off the belt and nothing. I am just finding it hard to believe this is normal. And if so explain what causes that normal?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
They are telling me it is a Harmonic affect. Which is to hard to believe. If this is a Normal noise. What causes it?
"A harmonic is defined as an integer (whole number) multiple of the fundamental frequency."

An exhaust "drone" I think qualifies as a harmonic noise. What I heard in the clips doesn't sound like a harmonic to me.

I think the dealer calling it a harmonic noise is dealer BS for "They all do that."

The noise closely follows the engine RPMs and this suggests something being turned by the engine or some part of the engine turning is the source of the noise.

My first hand and second hand experience is most noises are external to the engine. Thus it is a pretty good bet this is the case with your car.

I gave you a method by which you can -- and one I used -- to determine if the noise is from inside or outside the engine.

Now maybe you do not feel up to the task of removing the belt and installing it again after and that's ok. I'm not sure I would be willing to do this now either. (I did this over 10 years ago.)

But absent a tech hearing the noise and going "Oh, yeah, I know what that is", then addressing it to me the first step is determining if the noise is external (and probably from an accessory drive component) or internal.

If the latter that is a big deal of course. But it is a big enough deal even if it is external.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"A harmonic is defined as an integer (whole number) multiple of the fundamental frequency."

An exhaust "drone" I think qualifies as a harmonic noise. What I heard in the clips doesn't sound like a harmonic to me.

I think the dealer calling it a harmonic noise is dealer BS for "They all do that."

The noise closely follows the engine RPMs and this suggests something being turned by the engine or some part of the engine turning is the source of the noise.

My first hand and second hand experience is most noises are external to the engine. Thus it is a pretty good bet this is the case with your car.

I gave you a method by which you can -- and one I used -- to determine if the noise is from inside or outside the engine.

Now maybe you do not feel up to the task of removing the belt and installing it again after and that's ok. I'm not sure I would be willing to do this now either. (I did this over 10 years ago.)

But absent a tech hearing the noise and going "Oh, yeah, I know what that is", then addressing it to me the first step is determining if the noise is external (and probably from an accessory drive component) or internal.

If the latter that is a big deal of course. But it is a big enough deal even if it is external.
They said they pulled the belt. I do not believe it but who am i right. Just a customer who has issues. Lol

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
They said they pulled the belt. I do not believe it but who am i right. Just a customer who has issues. Lol
With the engine off and a bright flash light check the bolts that hold the belt tensioner. See if they show signs of wrenching. This assumes the belt tensionser was never messed with previously to change a belt or something.

Had a dealer claim it rotated the tires on my car. Pulled wheel covers and found except for the wheel which developed a flat tire which I had to deal with the other 3 wheels the lug nuts still had the factory paint "daubs" on them. The wheel lug nuts had not had a wrench on them since the car left the factory.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I get the exact same noise on my 2018 GT (V6). Has been doing it since I bought it with 3k miles on it. I truly don't believe anything is "wrong" with the car because most, if not all of the V6's seem to make that same noise.

I just don't let it bother me anymore. It goes away pretty quickly and I have a warranty on the car for awhile if something ever actually does go wrong with it (extended warranty). Beside, I'll probably be trading it in before it gets 7 years old anyway, so that I don't have to deal with the rusted quarter panels that seems to happen on a lot of these cars when they are between 5 and 10 years old. :)

I truly think this noise is "normal" for these cars. Not sure what causes it, but "it is what it is".... All cars seem to have some type of "strange" noises nowadays.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I get the exact same noise on my 2018 GT (V6). Has been doing it since I bought it with 3k miles on it. I truly don't believe anything is "wrong" with the car because most, if not all of the V6's seem to make that same noise.

I just don't let it bother me anymore. It goes away pretty quickly and I have a warranty on the car for awhile if something ever actually does go wrong with it (extended warranty). Beside, I'll probably be trading it in before it gets 7 years old anyway, so that I don't have to deal with the rusted quarter panels that seems to happen on a lot of these cars when they are between 5 and 10 years old. :)

I truly think this noise is "normal" for these cars. Not sure what causes it, but "it is what it is".... All cars seem to have some type of "strange" noises nowadays.
Pretty much agree -- and I touched upon this in a previous post -- the noise is normal given that in nearly 12K miles no further symptoms have appeared.

But if the owner wants to try to pinpoint the source of the noise...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pretty much agree -- and I touched upon this in a previous post -- the noise is normal given that in nearly 12K miles no further symptoms have appeared.

But if the owner wants to try to pinpoint the source of the noise...
I agree with both of you. My issue is it is loud. The other issue is i have never had a vehicle make that much noise on a cold start. And if it is normal explain what causes this normal sound. Should be easy enough if all of them do it and it is normal?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts