Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got car one month ago has 700 miles on it. Threw #2 cyl. miss code Po302. Miss corrected itself within a minute and has been fine not missing ever since, several days now. Made appt with dealer cause MIL stays lit.
BTW
I use red key always but am in auto mode and getting 10mpg at the most. Is this normal.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you don't get your answers here you might want to ask again in the Hellcat thread section

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2018 H Cat

Got this car one month ago has 700 miles on it. Threw code po302 engine miss. Miss corrected itself within one minute but I'm left with the engine light on so I made appt with dealer. Someone told me I'd void my wtty if I'd use scanner to rest engine light. Makes no sense to me.
BTW I use red key always but am in only auto mode and getting only ten mpg at best. Is this normal ?

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Got this car one month ago has 700 miles on it. Threw code po302 engine miss. Miss corrected itself within one minute but I'm left with the engine light on so I made appt with dealer. Someone told me I'd void my wtty if I'd use scanner to rest engine light. Makes no sense to me.
BTW I use red key always but am in only auto mode and getting only ten mpg at best. Is this normal ?
Factory specs UP TO 13 mpg. So, yeah, 10 mpg could be quite likely unless you're driving it gently enough to squeeze the best mileage out of it.

However, I don't have a Hellcat so a better answer will have to come from someone who does.

2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
Sports car
Model: 2018 Dodge Challenger
MSRP: From $64,295
Horsepower: 707 hp
Curb weight: 4,448 lbs
MPG: Up to 13 city / 22 highway
Torque: 650 lb-ft
Wheel size: 20″ diameter, 9.5″ width

·
Super Moderator
12,551 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
669 Posts
Just got car one month ago has 700 miles on it. Threw #2 cyl. miss code Po302. Miss corrected itself within a minute and has been fine not missing ever since, several days now. Made appt with dealer cause MIL stays lit.
BTW
I use red key always but am in auto mode and getting 10mpg at the most. Is this normal.
I always use the Red Key and average 16-17 mpg. Something is not right. When you take it back ask them to check for fuel in the crankcase. They should change the oil for you without a problem. Are the tail pipes very black? That fuel is going somewhere. Either into the crankcase or out the tail pipes. If it’s in the crankcase it will wash that motor out fast. At least get it documented.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
BTW

With the MIL (CEL) on you need to have that looked into. That's -- to state possibly the obvious -- not normal.

10mpg could be normal depending upon how you drive the car.

My 2018 Hellcat averages around 13/14mpg with around 75% of this on the highway albeit sometimes in congested traffic.

(On the open highway with no congestion and the ability to maintain a steady speed without the need to slow down then speed up again the mileage can improve to over 20mpg even a bit higher.)

If I used the car solely around town I would not be surprised if fuel consumption average dropped to if not 10mpg darn close.

So, if you are driving the car around town and being a bit heavy on the gas pedal... 10mpg is normal.

Regardless, get the car looked at. Afterwards then you can revisit the fuel mileage.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

I've already replied to your other post regarding fuel consumption and the MIL/CEL. I'll just restate you need to get the car in ASAP to have this looked into.

AFAIK you won't void the warranty using an OBD2 tool to read even clear any codes.

(I wrote software for automotive test equipment and one of the features was the ability of the software to read error codes, active, pending, and permanent, along with freeze frame data, and then clear any codes. My research never found any restrictions in this type of interaction with the car and its OBD2 system.)

My advice is a good OBD2 scan tool is a handy tool to have. I've owned one since shortly after I bought my 1996 Mustang GT and the scan tool has paid for itself many times over.

However, my advice is while you can read the codes, freeze frame data, and if you want post here for what it might all mean, you should not erase the codes.

Take the car in and have a Dodge tech read the codes and offer his professional opinion as to what needs to be done next.

He might very well clear the codes and have you road test the car to see if the codes return.

·
Administrator
17,041 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Hellcat

I have a 2016 Challenger HELLCAT with 7300 miles on it with the auto trans.
Non Led Foot driving I can average 19mpg.
Going down the interstate at 70/80 mph I can get 25 mpg at 1600/1800 rpm.......Love those 8 speeds.
Not sure if your car is going through a break in period or you are more aggressive driving than you realize.
But as others have stated take the car in and get it checked out............enjoy.>:)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
2015SXT
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing