Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Guys,

I know this has been covered on older models but I can seem to find anything on the current production models. I purchased a home link module and donor harness from cleveland power and performance...so far so good. Installed in in the module and harness in the car (separated the three applicable wires from the donor harness) routed harness to the right side A pillar and installed the three wires (donor harness Gray, Orange/White and Black wires matched to the existing wires of the same colors as these were the only open pins in the plug) into the A pillar plug. The button lights in the home link function as expected (with parking/headlights on buttons illuminate and interior dimmer functions). Home link does not function...I check the voltage at the plug and the home link is only receiving 3 vdc. Seems like it should be getting 12 vdc, I also checked it at the A pillar plug on the body side and there is still only 3 vdc present...does anyone know if this is proper or does the car need to be programmed to output proper voltage to the home link connection?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sounds like you might have to. Probably only way to use factory method is to pay a dealer to activate it. Cost me a hours labor just to use star scan tool to activate my fog lights.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so a quick update...following the install as I previously outlined the internal lights in the home link buttons function but no action from pressing the buttons. Here's what I found so far:

The molex connector that plugs into the Home Link module has four pins but only three are used:

Pin/Socket 1 is Gray wire (Power from BCM) (3VDC present on my car)
Pin/Socket 2 is Orange/Gray wire (Panel Lights/Dimmer)
Pin/Socket 3 is unused
Pin/Socket 4 is Black wire (Ground)

These connections have been verified with available wiring diagrams. I also spoke with the dealer I purchased my car from (very helpful service department!), they verified there is no code to activate the home link module in the BCM, they stated it should work without additional modification to the BCM. The dealer couldn't verified the required input voltage to the home link module so I am a bit stuck.

My question, does anyone know or are they willing to check voltage on a functioning installation? Again I need to know the voltage at pin/socket 1 on the four pin connector for the home link module. I would appreciate any help!

I'm thinking there is a very remote possibility I may have picked up a defective module but I need the input voltage to confirm.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump

Anyone able to help?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so a quick update...following the install as I previously outlined the internal lights in the home link buttons function but no action from pressing the buttons. Here's what I found so far:

The molex connector that plugs into the Home Link module has four pins but only three are used:

Pin/Socket 1 is Gray wire (Power from BCM) (3VDC present on my car)
Pin/Socket 2 is Orange/Gray wire (Panel Lights/Dimmer)
Pin/Socket 3 is unused
Pin/Socket 4 is Black wire (Ground)

These connections have been verified with available wiring diagrams. I also spoke with the dealer I purchased my car from (very helpful service department!), they verified there is no code to activate the home link module in the BCM, they stated it should work without additional modification to the BCM. The dealer couldn't verified the required input voltage to the home link module so I am a bit stuck.

My question, does anyone know or are they willing to check voltage on a functioning installation? Again I need to know the voltage at pin/socket 1 on the four pin connector for the home link module. I would appreciate any help!

I'm thinking there is a very remote possibility I may have picked up a defective module but I need the input voltage to confirm.
Okay, I have given up on getting the factory circuit in the right A pillar from the BCM to power my retrofitted factory Homelink Garage Door opener...the pin in the A Pillar only has 3vdc and the Homelink requires 12. I started poking around for another switches 12 volt power source, my car has a sunroof and it’s harness is in the left A Pillar and has a switches 12 volt source so I piggybacked it and now my garage door opener is functional.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
493 Posts
Congratulations!

When I had my '16 Chevy SS I had an aftermarket Homelink system installed in the visor that tapped the power for the vanity mirror lights.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Do you happen to know what year your Homelink is? There are a bunch out there, I just need to make sure that I find one that is rolling code compatible, not sure if the 05-09 models were or not.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you happen to know what year your Homelink is? There are a bunch out there, I just need to make sure that I find one that is rolling code compatible, not sure if the 05-09 models were or not.

I happened to end up with two...long story, this one is a 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Awesome. I found the entire 2016 Homelink console for $60 on eBay, no wiring connector but I can make that easily enough. I did this same thing back in 2012 with my RT, sounds like the procedure is still the same.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome. I found the entire 2016 Homelink console for $60 on eBay, no wiring connector but I can make that easily enough. I did this same thing back in 2012 with my RT, sounds like the procedure is still the same.
I bought the headliner harness from the salvage yard I was dealing with...paid way too much! I’ve seen some pretty cobbled together work and didn’t want to be “that guy”, in the end I’m pleased with the results.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I have the same 4 pin plug here that I salvaged from something else, all I will have to do is add 3 new pins crimped to the proper wire length and I am set. I service electric forklifts, the plug was actually the same part on a Crown TSP-6500. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the same 4 pin plug here that I salvaged from something else, all I will have to do is add 3 new pins crimped to the proper wire length and I am set. I service electric forklifts, the plug was actually the same part on a Crown TSP-6500. :)
Wow, that’s convenient! I searched hi and low but couldn’t track down that connector.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Well, the pin spacing was a bit too far off to use the connector salvaged from the forklift harness, but I soon discovered that one of the unused flat white connectors from a PC power supply is a perfect fit. Hopefully this helps someone else along the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the pin spacing was a bit too far off to use the connector salvaged from the forklift harness, but I soon discovered that one of the unused flat white connectors from a PC power supply is a perfect fit. Hopefully this helps someone else along the way.

Well thats pretty cool...thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Well, the Homelink module was DOA. I verified power to the unit, had working backlighting, but the Homelink button would never light up or so any signs of life. I have to wonder if the module from the 05-10 models will work or not, there seem to be plenty of those around.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the Homelink module was DOA. I verified power to the unit, had working backlighting, but the Homelink button would never light up or so any signs of life. I have to wonder if the module from the 05-10 models will work or not, there seem to be plenty of those around.
Howdy,

Are you positive your module is DOA, I thought mine was too...I attempted to wire it according to the wiring diagram I tracked down but the 12vdc power circuit comes out of the Body Control Module (I only had 3vdc at that pin). I had the exact same result - back-lighting worked but not light in garage door opener buttons. The Homelink needs 12vdc not the 3 Vic that the BCM was supplying so I can only assume the BCM wasn’t coded for the Homelink option even though the dealer told me there was no code. I found an alternate switch 12vdc source and my module worked like a champ...

If your module is indeed dead I do have a second module that is extra to my needs.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I only had 3v on the right side harness as well, but I found a 12v constant in the driver side A pillar and tapped that. I am pulling the illumination circuit and ground from the right, 12v from the left.

I might be interested in your spare, I am currently working with the seller with getting the DOA console resolved.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts