1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I've seen a few of these. Nice 5.7 car but my issue is that for the price, it's barely cheaper than a Scat Pack but without the 392. Hardly seems worth it. I've seen dealers loading these 5.7 cars up to the mid to upper $40's.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I've seen a few of these. Nice 5.7 car but my issue is that for the price, it's barely cheaper than a Scat Pack but without the 392. Hardly seems worth it. I've seen dealers loading these 5.7 cars up to the mid to upper $40's.
Some people are afraid of getting higher powered cars.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Ha, that may be true. I would have no issues owning another 5.7 Challenger but when looking at MSRP on comparative models, a Scat Pack with moderate options and a loaded R/T 5.7 are the same price. To me, there is value in the bigger engine strictly as as an option in addition to increased resale value. It seems the pricing is discounted towards model package vs option add ons...

I would certainly enjoy a loaded R/T 345.

·
Super Moderator
15,387 Posts
That's almost the starting point of SP entry - I suppose if someone is set on going with S/C 5.7 then you have the suspension, brakes for the additional power...

But I'd rather have the N.A. 392 and all low and mid range power that's already there.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
That's almost the starting point of SP entry - I suppose if someone is set on going with S/C 5.7 then you have the suspension, brakes for the additional power...

But I'd rather have the N.A. 392 and all low and mid range power that's already there.
That's a good point, it would be a great platform if you wanted to supercharge your car. You'd end up with a 500+hp with the brakes and suspension that could take a decent amount of boost with that 5.7. I'd order a Go Mango R/T Classic with the red caliper Brembos and the base Scat Pack wheels. Throw a blower on it and call it a day. Would be a great looking, fast car!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

I agree. Only IF.......

·
Super Moderator
15,387 Posts
That's a good point, it would be a great platform if you wanted to supercharge your car. You'd end up with a 500+hp with the brakes and suspension that could take a decent amount of boost with that 5.7. I'd order a Go Mango R/T Classic with the red caliper Brembos and the base Scat Pack wheels. Throw a blower on it and call it a day. Would be a great looking, fast car!
I wonder if you can do that combo - just tried on the Dodge.com site, and it indicates that you can't get R/T- C package w/ Perf Handling Grp.

Slidd might have some more insight into that. The site isn't always set up correctly...

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have the Handling Pkg on my 18 T/A 5.7 and it is worth the money imo. The brakes are a big improvement over the standard brakes and the handling is also improved, but it is a little on the stiff side. Some people may not like that. Here in Canada, the pricing on these cars is out of control. The sticker on my car is $49,770. Of course that is Canadian dollars which aren't worth much, lol. A T/A 392 over here will easily top $60K if it is well equipped.

·
Super Moderator
15,387 Posts
I think its more sensitivity of the price point. Once you start crossing the $40K mark, the casual 5.7 buyer starts backing off.

The average SP buyer probably spends $42 - 45K and if they're going "big" with all the options you can get, that's $50k msrp.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I think its more sensitivity of the price point. Once you start crossing the $40K mark, the casual 5.7 buyer starts backing off.

The average SP buyer probably spends $42 - 45K and if they're going "big" with all the options you can get, that's $50k msrp.
I think it's 50/50.

The reason the SRT lost sales, and the Scat Pack gained so much traction, was the fact that they had the same engine.

Increase in HP is a wall a lot of people have to overcome, even if we don't see it ourselves.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I have the Handling Pkg on my 18 T/A 5.7 and it is worth the money imo. The brakes are a big improvement over the standard brakes and the handling is also improved, but it is a little on the stiff side. Some people may not like that. Here in Canada, the pricing on these cars is out of control. The sticker on my car is $49,770. Of course that is Canadian dollars which aren't worth much, lol. A T/A 392 over here will easily top $60K if it is well equipped.
Agreed.
I bought the 17 Plus Shaker R/T 5.7, loaded with every option available. It was still $15000.00 cheaper than the window sticker price of a 17 392 SP?
Basically I'm missing the brakes and bigger engine. For that amount of money, the 392 wasn't worth the few extra bragging ponies under the hood. At least not for me.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts

IMO, I think a lot of folks are afraid of the higher monthly payment. The younger crowd, in general, like all the electronic gizmos. The "casual" Challenger buyer goes for looks and toys, and the performance Challenger buyers want "the boys" with some wanting the toys too.

It's great the choices are now available on the R/T's, and that's helped sales overall for the Challenger. Yes there's overlap on pricing, based on what options are chosen, but folks who want the performance, don't have to go with a SRT which had all the toys standard.

Very few people that I've met in life are afraid of more power, but they have a budget, and would rather have a few more toy options than a bigger engine and brakes.

The Challenger has something for about everyone who interested in buying one now. That wasn't the case just a few short years ago.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
IMO, I think a lot of folks are afraid of the higher monthly payment. The younger crowd, in general, like all the electronic gizmos. The "casual" Challenger buyer goes for looks and toys, and the performance Challenger buyers want "the boys" with some wanting the toys too.

It's great the choices are now available on the R/T's, and that's helped sales overall for the Challenger. Yes there's overlap on pricing, based on what options are chosen, but folks who want the performance, don't have to go with a SRT which had all the toys standard.

Very few people that I've met in life are afraid of more power, but they have a budget, and would rather have a few more toy options than a bigger engine and brakes.

The Challenger has something for about everyone who interested in buying one now. That wasn't the case just a few short years ago.
More than a few people I've spoken to are afraid of getting a ticket or slamming into a tree, and buy less powerful cars because of it. I'm sure lower sticker price also adds to the justification.

·
Registered
14,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you just want a base max performance 5.7L this is the way to go, that's what they were thinking with this car. True, loaded up just get the Scat Pack but this car with M6 similar equipped to base Scat Pack is $37,375, the Scat would be $41,090.

I wonder if you can do that combo - just tried on the Dodge.com site, and it indicates that you can't get R/T- C package w/ Perf Handling Grp.

Slidd might have some more insight into that. The site isn't always set up correctly...
Don't think you can get PHG on the Classic because of the wheels. The option includes the WR2 wheels or can be ordered on cars with the WRT wheels but the Classic shows WR2 and/or WRT as not available on Classic.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
More than a few people I've spoken to are afraid of getting a ticket or slamming into a tree, and buy less powerful cars because of it. I'm sure lower sticker price also adds to the justification.
That's funny! I think one can get a ticket or slam into a tree with any amount of HP. It's the person not the cars fault.:laugh2:

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Never mind, just remembered why I don't reply to you. Unless by mistake.
Please don't, then. I'll try to keep my replies to your irrelevant retorts to a minimum myself.

That's funny! I think one can get a ticket or slam into a tree with any amount of HP. It's the person not the cars fault.:laugh2:
True, but doesn't stop people from being a little intimated by the power.

I know I was, and still am, I doubt I'll ever have the temperament required to drive a Hellcat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts