Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping the 2018 R/T 6 speed manual still comes with limited slip rear. does anybody know for sure???

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
Yes the M6 still has limited slip and it's the same 3.90 ratio as before.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Yeah, I don't understand why Dodge dropped the LSD option for the 5.7 auto cars. That's a turn off for buyers.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,934 Posts
I have both a 6-speed ('15 Shaker) and the auto ('17 T/A). I really don't notice the difference in the final drive between the two. However the manual of course is a bit more fun but the auto can flat-out overtake the manual all day long!! I thought I was gonna miss the LSD on the auto but I don't.

Reactions: Midblues

·
Registered
151 Posts
As I understand it, Dodge uses the traction control/ABS to activate the rear brakes on the wheel that starts to spin, transferring torque to the gripping wheel. Thus giving us that coveted two stripe burnout without adding the expense of the clutchpacks in the diff. Do I know this for sure? No, but is makes good sense to me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry but not buying ABS brake does not compare to a true limited slip. I get how the ABS troes to simulate it but nothing like coming out od a turn and dropping the hammer for the rear to push you through or from a dead stop. Need my limited slip. I hope the Scat Pack A8 still comes with the 390 limited slip.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
As I understand it, Dodge uses the traction control/ABS to activate the rear brakes on the wheel that starts to spin, transferring torque to the gripping wheel. Thus giving us that coveted two stripe burnout without adding the expense of the clutchpacks in the diff. Do I know this for sure? No, but is makes good sense to me.
If you had traction control on it would kill the injectors, hence trying to prevent you from spinning your wheels. On my 2015 RT M6 if traction control is on I can only chirp the tires once or twice and then the car feels like a sputtering fat kid running up a hill. But if I deactivate it, it squeals like a pig and leaves 2 black lines in my rearview every time.

I think the ESP uses the brakes to make sure you stay in a straight line and is the reason I could not sustain donuts (definitely feel the car fighting me) without the Tazer to deactivate it. If you want LSD in an auto, one would think an LSD unit from an earlier year 2015-2017 could be swapped in (~half day job)? A brand new 3.9 LSD can be had for ~$740ish shipped, although for the A8 you would run a little higher RPMs on the highway.

Actually just checked on moparpartscorp and they no longer show if the differential is anti-spin. For my car it was 5038703AG but now it shows 5038703AJ replaces it but no mention of anti-spin?

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
I hope the Scat Pack A8 still comes with the 390 limited slip.
All engines above 5.7L have the 230 mm limited slip. A8 has a 3.09 ratio, only M6 has the 3.90 (Hellcat has 2.62 / 3.70).

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Limited slip for 5.7

Per the information for the Challenger in the 2018 Dodge Cars online brochure:
- 5.7/M6: limited slip is standard
- 5.7/A8: limited slip is only available as part of a package
- None of the packages in the brochure list limited slip

I used the "Contact Us" function at Dodge.com to ask:
- Is the limited slip standard with 5.7/M6?
- Which option package for the 5.7/A8 includes limited slip?

·
Registered
211 Posts
5.7 with limited slip?

Per the information for the Challenger in the 2018 Dodge Cars online brochure:
- 5.7/M6: limited slip is standard
- 5.7/A8: limited slip is only available as part of a package
- None of the packages in the brochure list limited slip

I used the "Contact Us" function at Dodge.com to ask:
- Is the limited slip standard with 5.7/M6?
- Which option package for the 5.7/A8 includes limited slip?
The blue text below is the response from the Dodge Product Information Center to my question about the availability of a limited-slip differential in 2018 Challengers equipped with a 5.7 HEMI. (Bold added by me.)

Dear Joel:

It is great to read of your interest in the 2018 Dodge Charger![sic]

I apologize for the very delayed response to your email - I had
forwarded your inquiry to our Dodge Challenger Program Manager who has
just followed up with a response.

According to our Dodge Challenger Program Manager; for the 2018 model
year it is not possible to get a Challenger with the 5.7L Hemi/Automatic
Transmission with the anti spin differential. The anti spin with rear
differential is standard with all manual transmissions only.

Our best suggestion would be for you to keep in contact with your
preferred Dodge dealership as the ordering system changes on a frequent
basis. Your preferred Dodge dealership will be first informed as to when
they are capable of placing an order on your behalf and are the best
resource for the most up-to-date factory order timing and product
information.

If you have any further product questions about the current Dodge
lineup, you are always welcome to reply back to this email and I will
respond back to you as promptly as I can. If you prefer, you can also
reach us directly with your questions at the Dodge Product Information
Center by calling 1-800-423-6343. When you call, we can connect you
directly to your local dealership, providing your call is during the
dealer's hours of operation.

Thank you for your email, Joel. We wish you the best!

Sincerely,

Nicole
Dodge Product Information Center

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok I have a 2016 rt plus A8 and my brother has a 6speed manual same car and year as mines does anyone know what different comes on the 6speed manual is it the 3.09 LSD or the 3.07 Open Differential??

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ok I have a 2016 rt plus A8 and my brother has a 6speed manual same car and year as mines does anyone know what different comes on the 6speed manual is it the 3.09 LSD or the 3.07 Open Differential??
Big Thorne 5.7,

In some model years, LSD was/is available behind 5.7/automatics. In some model years, it wasn’t.

Challengers and Chargers with limited-slip have finned differential housings; see pic below. The housings of open differentials are not finned.

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
You have a 3.07 OPEN and with M6, he will have a 3.90 LSD.

The 3.09 LSD would be used on 5.7L A8 cars with the Performance Handling Group and on all A8 with 392 engine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If we are talking about cylinder shut down, who the hell buys a Hemi to save fuel?
Almost as nuts as skip shift in an M6 TRACPAC car. Nanny state greenies must have had their way.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You have a 3.07 OPEN and with M6, he will have a 3.90 LSD.

The 3.09 LSD would be used on 5.7L A8 cars with the Performance Handling Group and on all A8 with 392 engine.
For all or part of some model years, the Performance Handling Group was not available on 5.7/A8 Challengers. When I was doing research before we purchased our SP (🙂), I contacted Dodge about LSD availablility on 5.7/A8 models. Dodge confirmed that LSD was not available on ‘18 Challenger 5.7/A8 models.

According to our Dodge Challenger Program Manager; for the 2018 model year it is not possible to get a Challenger with the 5.7L Hemi/Automatic Transmission with the anti spin differential. The anti spin with rear differential is standard with all manual transmissions only.

See post #10 in this thread for the complete text of the email that Dodge in response to my question.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
If we are talking about cylinder shut down, who the hell buys a Hemi to save fuel?
Almost as nuts as skip shift in an M6 TRACPAC car. Nanny state greenies must have had their way.
Its a means to stay out of Gas Guzzler Tax - which as been a Federal Law since 1978

the skip shift was developed by GM in mid 90s - again to coax better MPG on the EPA City test and stay out of GGT

the old 60s - 80s 5.7 engines did about 12 mpg in town and on a good day 16 mpg on the highway if everything worked right.
-with today's prices you probably would have many takers on those engines

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Yeah, I don't understand why Dodge dropped the LSD option for the 5.7 auto cars. That's a turn off for buyers.
it was due to a couple of factors:

- dealers weren't aware and didn't order A5 / LSD option was $125 - 150.
probably 85% of cars are dealer lot stock orders. Most R/Ts that had them tended to have most every option available

- buyers might have not been aware of it. the option came along ~ MY 2011

Low take rate probably had product planning decide to drop the option when MY 2015 was planned

Reactions: A Guy and jzink0883

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
For all or part of some model years, the Performance Handling Group was not available on 5.7/A8 Challengers. When I was doing research before we purchased our SP (), I contacted Dodge about LSD availablility on 5.7/A8 models. Dodge confirmed that LSD was not available on ‘18 Challenger 5.7/A8 models.

According to our Dodge Challenger Program Manager; for the 2018 model year it is not possible to get a Challenger with the 5.7L Hemi/Automatic Transmission with the anti spin differential. The anti spin with rear differential is standard with all manual transmissions only.

See post #10 in this thread for the complete text of the email that Dodge in response to my question.
That's true, you are right.

For 2018, the PHG did not include the LSD, it used the same 3.07 OPEN as other R/T's.

For the second year 2019, it did, and came with the 3.09 LSD, basically a 5.7L Scat Pack.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That's true, you are right.

For 2018, the PHG did not include the LSD, it used the same 3.07 OPEN as other R/T's.

For the second year 2019, it did, and came with the 3.09 LSD, basically a 5.7L Scat Pack.

5.7 Scat Pack 😄
6.4 Scat Pack 😄😄😄

1 - 19 of 19 Posts