Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey everyone. I was a hardcore Mustang fan. Having own several in the past years. I have since moved on to my awesome R/T Shaker 5.7. I love it.

My question is when I had my Mustangs I was able to buy an SCT or Diablo Sport handheld tuner and then just program a pre-loaded 93 octane tune into the car. Now because mine is a 2018 Challenger, it looks like I have to buy a tuner along with a modified aftermarket PCM as well. Is this true? I can’t just buy a tuner and program the PCM? Is it because the PCM is locked? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,418 Posts
PCM is locked. You can send yours in and have it unlocked, or buy another that is already opened up.
Be aware, doing so either method, drops several permanent codes in the cars other systems that the dealer can see. This can affect both warranty and future sale/trade in.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,370 Posts
If you Challenger is a 2015 or Newer Model yes the PCM's are locked about a 1500 - 1700.00 cost for the Unlock / Mod you have to make sure you put Tracking on it when sending it, also request Signature when Sending it out to them. Then you can buy a Tuner and unlock get one from the company that unlocks it for best results.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,287 Posts
Depending on where you shop they will include an unlocked PCM as part of the deal, forget where I saw that. CarID maybe? I'm also semi confident that HPTuners is offering a free PCM unlock with purchase of their tuner so that's worth looking into as well

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,868 Posts
If you are serious about tuning or plan to tune yourself I would recommend HP tuners. BTW you will need a security bypass seeing you have a 2018. Not sure if HP tuners still unlocks PCMs for free?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I greatly appreciate all the info guys. Very much. I guess Mopar got smart as the years went on. I will definitely look into HP tuners. I know American muscle cells the Diablo sport tuners with the unlock PCM swap I might have to look into that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts