Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, excuse my ignorance I'm fairly new to the car scene and know virtually nothing! However I had a question about having my resonator deleted for my 2018 R/T...

..for anyone who has had this done, how is the interior drone at low RPMs? Low RPMs meaning under 2000. It's my daily driver and will be for quite some time and I'm concerned about noise. My girlfriend already complains on long rides if I have it in sport mode about the drone at lower RPMs (personally I don't think it's that bad at all) but I was just curious as to how it would sound? Or if anyone has any video links they could shoot my way with exterior + interior sound of a resonator delete?

Also, would anyone happen to know what dB levels it puts out? My city is a stickler for sound and the city ordinance is anything 80 and under is fine in 10-45mph zones, anything else is legal on highway and 50+ mph zones. Not TOO concerned with the "legality" of my exhaust sound, but wouldn't exactly want to earn myself a fresh ticket when I don't even have 5000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
493 Posts
I can’t speak to the 2018’s, but back when I had my 2011 R/T; I did a resonator delete and it was unbearable around town. Or just about any time the car went into 4cyl mode.

Unless you have a tuner disable the MDS (or drive in sport mode 100%) you’ll need either resonators or j-pipes to deal with the drone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
Don't do it......

·
Registered
178 Posts
You won’t be be able to best what the factory did just removing one of the setup parts, the engineers did an amazing job with their active exhaust, and when you take out the resonators or the mid mufflers, you are going to screw with the sound, louder doesn’t mean better, from personal experience trying to improve the active exhaust by making it louder, mine never sounded good with mids delete, then tried Dynomax minis with res, Magnaflow Magnapacks with res, then both without res, It was either stupid loud with trumpet/tuba like chitty noises coming out of my exhaust from any semi aggressive to WOT throttle inputs, or less louder, but the tubas where there in full force, and I really despised my exhaust sounding like that, i now run Black Widow mufflers without res, and I can finally say I love my exhaust, but drone in Sport mode can annoy the faint of heart.

The resonators will eat the bad crackles of the mids, as well as work in unison with them to remove the unwanted drone in the setup, if you think there is drone when the engine switches to 4 cyl, just wait to hear that noise without resonators. the factory mids won’t sound good without the resonators, she’ll have a lot of rasp, but I would think she’ll sound a lot better if you cut the x pipe and place an h pipe instead.

Again, not many cars sound this good in factory trim, and louder doesn’t mean better, of course the good or the bad of the sound in any exhaust is basically a subjective topic, what my ears define to be love can be hate for yours, so there is only one way to know sometimes ?

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
The quietest will be what you experience in Sport - and it would get louder yet.

Under load between 1.5 - 2K rpm produces drone and then from 2 - 2.5K.

If your GF complains now with stock, it will be worse. The trunk floor and body will resonate and you'll get tired of it.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Here's a pretty good article on the function of the resonator.

Apologies that it was written about Mustangs but it applies to any automobile exhaust system.
You might want to do some searching and reading all about what resonators do before messing with your well-tuned factory exhaust.

Like Hal said, if your girlfriend is already unhappy, it's about to get worse. The drone you'll get might have her riding with somebody else! :surprise:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/mufflers-vs-resonators

·
Registered
7 Posts
New to the forum, but when I took my 2017 to muffler shop, they strongly recommended I didn't do a res delete, recommending the mid muffler delete instead. I went with it and am very pleased. Its still mild when cruising but in sport or under WOT it really wakes up. Maybe consider this as an alternative?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
I noticed that when I removed the mid mufflers on my 2015 with corsa extreme the cabin rumble when away and it seemed like all the exhaust noise moved to the rear bumper. Removing the resonators sounds like a bad idea and like Rsmscat mentioned will drone.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Another voice on deleting the mids; I did this on my 2015 M6. I don't get any drone that I've noticed, the car got just a bit louder at idle and under normal driving conditions, but it's drastically different at higher RPM. I really like it, but I still wonder if I should have left it stock, and just added a set of electric cutouts; correct performance almost always, stupid loud when that's what I want. I may add them to my current setup though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts