Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Could anyone please provide any information on the costs of a Cam install for a manual Challenger?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
How in the world has no one put a cam in a non-mds 392? Anyone?
What cam are you interested in? I would recommend a grind from MMX. You might be interested in the custom grind I'm running. I tried this grind out for MMX and I have been 100% pleased with it.

My grind is a 224/230 112.5... not terribly mild by any means, but was pretty easy to tune.

On a non-MDS car, I would replace the valve springs and pushrods. Get the PSI spring kit with retainers,etc. MMX can get you some good custom hardened pushrods.

The spring kit is around $500 and the pushrods will be $150 or so. The cam will set you back around $800 and a install + tune will probably be around $1,500.

So, around 3k not counting any incidentals (oil, coolant, gaskets,etc.).

Pretty good bang for the buck...

8k will get you 6 psi with a Maggie and an extra 110 rwhp. $73 per horsepower.

3k cam install will get you 45 rwhp or so.. or $66 per horsepower.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How in the world has no one put a cam in a non-mds 392? Anyone?
What cam are you interested in? I would recommend a grind from MMX. You might be interested in the custom grind I'm running. I tried this grind out for MMX and I have been 100% pleased with it.

My grind is a 224/230 112.5... not terribly mild by any means, but was pretty easy to tune.

On a non-MDS car, I would replace the valve springs and pushrods. Get the PSI spring kit with retainers,etc. MMX can get you some good custom hardened pushrods.

The spring kit is around $500 and the pushrods will be $150 or so. The cam will set you back around $800 and a install + tune will probably be around $1,500.

So, around 3k not counting any incidentals (oil, coolant, gaskets,etc.).

Pretty good bang for the buck...

8k will get you 6 psi with a Maggie and an extra 110 rwhp. $73 per horsepower.

3k cam install will get you 45 rwhp or so.. or $66 per horsepower.
I really appreciate your input this is exactly what I was looking for. Who is MMX and have you had a good experience with their product and install? Do you feel it was worth the 3k? I actually want to go as big as possible since I’ll only use it as the strip or occasional driving on the weekends. What do you think about a 274? My only mods is a Borla Atak. Did you have to do a PCM swap to tune it? In terms of power gained from a cam your size to that size would it be worth it?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I really appreciate your input this is exactly what I was looking for. Who is MMX and have you had a good experience with their product and install? Do you feel it was worth the 3k? I actually want to go as big as possible since I’ll only use it as the strip or occasional driving on the weekends. What do you think about a 274? My only mods is a Borla Atak. Did you have to do a PCM swap to tune it? In terms of power gained from a cam your size to that size would it be worth it?
Modern Muscle Extreme and they are a vendor here.

MMX Modern Muscle Xtreme

The 274 is a high rpm cam. Your factory heads and manifold won't be able to effectively take advantage of the full power band of that cam. The 116 LSA really spreads that power out.

On the 6.4L, I would go with a milder duration and tighter LSA.

My car makes peak power at 6,000 rpms, which is about where a stock 6.4L would peak. However, I'm also making nearly 475 ft lb at 2,750 rpms.

My build costs were well in excess of 3k; however I absolutley love my current setup.

Yes, you will need a replacement PCM and tuner; however this will be a prerequisite for any "major" mods going forward. Basically, if you go past your catback and a CAI... then you will need a tune and the PCM.

My personal recommendation would be HP Tuners. It is by far the superior tuner for this platform and it will allow you to tune your own vehicle at some point, if you so wish.

My honest advice...

1. I've seen several people on this forum install cams and do builds and achieve sub par results. At the end of the day, they were disappointed with their gains. Which leads into this fact:

Getting maximum power will depend on who you get to tune it. It took Brent @ DTP Racing (Virginia) 26 dyno pulls to get maximum power on mine. The key is the cam timing.

2. I stress getting HP Tuners because you need to learn the basics of tuning. Your tuner won't have time to fully refine your tune. A few dyno pulls and a trip around the block won't do it.

I've spent hours refining my tune since I got the car back. This isn't a knock on Brent... just a fact that fine tuning takes time and the top notch tuners can't devote that kind of time to a single build.

I've taken my car from very good to fantastic by fine tuning it myself.

The ideal basic cam build would be:

Kooks Long tubes with or without cats
Cam (Recommend a custom grind from MMX)
Comp Cams Limiter
PSI Valve Springs, retainers, etc.
HP Tuners VCM Pro Suite (Pro has input for wideband)
Innovative LC-2 wideband
MMX Custom pushrods
ARP Head studs
Upgraded Throttle Body (Probably would get a API 84mm unit)

Reactions: 80 Grit

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Modern Muscle Extreme and they are a vendor here.

MMX Modern Muscle Xtreme

The 274 is a high rpm cam. Your factory heads and manifold won't be able to effectively take advantage of the full power band of that cam. The 116 LSA really spreads that power out.

On the 6.4L, I would go with a milder duration and tighter LSA.

My car makes peak power at 6,000 rpms, which is about where a stock 6.4L would peak. However, I'm also making nearly 475 ft lb at 2,750 rpms.

My build costs were well in excess of 3k; however I absolutley love my current setup.

Yes, you will need a replacement PCM and tuner; however this will be a prerequisite for any "major" mods going forward. Basically, if you go past your catback and a CAI... then you will need a tune and the PCM.

My personal recommendation would be HP Tuners. It is by far the superior tuner for this platform and it will allow you to tune your own vehicle at some point, if you so wish.

My honest advice...

1. I've seen several people on this forum install cams and do builds and achieve sub par results. At the end of the day, they were disappointed with their gains. Which leads into this fact:

Getting maximum power will depend on who you get to tune it. It took Brent @ DTP Racing (Virginia) 26 dyno pulls to get maximum power on mine. The key is the cam timing.

2. I stress getting HP Tuners because you need to learn the basics of tuning. Your tuner won't have time to fully refine your tune. A few dyno pulls and a trip around the block won't do it.

I've spent hours refining my tune since I got the car back. This isn't a knock on Brent... just a fact that fine tuning takes time and the top notch tuners can't devote that kind of time to a single build.

I've taken my car from very good to fantastic by fine tuning it myself.

The ideal basic cam build would be:

Kooks Long tubes with or without cats
Cam (Recommend a custom grind from MMX)
Comp Cams Limiter
PSI Valve Springs, retainers, etc.
HP Tuners VCM Pro Suite (Pro has input for wideband)
Innovative LC-2 wideband
MMX Custom pushrods
ARP Head studs
Upgraded Throttle Body (Probably would get a API 84mm unit)
Thanks for the all the information. Haha I don’t think I’m gonna do a cam anymore after getting all this information so much money for like 30whp. I just can’t believe it’s that involved

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,235 Posts
OST Dyno, just north of Pittsburgh, has some interesting cam install packages...I've been looking at these myself

OST Dyno Install packages

You should check out their cam page; they have three levels of cam shafts, with a Youtube video for each one (all done in Challengers).

OST Dyno Cams and videos

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also I swear this isn’t to start a flame war but ask a very legitimate question. Why is it so hard to find power with the 392 but comparatively easy with a LS3. I don’t get it an LS3 with a cam, headers, tune, intake is making a 485-500whp all day. Shouldn’t ours at more cubes make at very least that much with same modifications? Is there some sort of inherent design flaw or limitation?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts