Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 challenger scat pack with the 394 SRT motor. I went to use the AC a couple weeks ago and it isn't working. The compressor clutch isn't kicking on at all. I bought a recharge kit but the quick connector for the low pressure line doesn't fit. The port doesn't look damaged in any way it just seems to be a little to big. Meaning that the coupling goes on up to where the flare is but won't go any farther. The connector fits on my other cars just not this one is there a special adapter needed.
Thanks

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,521 Posts
You should be under warranty so why even touch it?? Have you checked for a blown fuse?

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,521 Posts
Ahhh I see now, didn't notice your name. I wonder if your car has the new R-1234yf Freon which maybe uses a different connector?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhh I see now, didn't notice your name. I wonder if your car has the new R-1234yf Freon which maybe uses a different connector?
Yup you are right and I'm a dope. lol I didn't know they had come out with a new type of Freon for cars so I just assumed it was 134-a like most cars today are. Luckily I got a truck that I know takes the 134-a Freon and it needs some too. I'm off to the auto parts store again. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,429 Posts
If the clutch isn’t engaging, I don’t think adding more Freon will help.

The newer Freon type is even more sensitive to overfills than 134a too, so even if adding some were in order, you risk putting too much in by doing it yourself. That’s assuming you can even buy the new kind, which I don’t believe you can.

These sorts of issues are truly best left to the pros, but if you insist on fixing it yourself, you should diagnose why the compressor clutch will not energize and go from there.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If the car was in an accident then you need to put it on a recovery machine to see if its empty or has a leak. If you changed components then its going to need a vacuum and oil charge before you put the freon in. The clutch wont engage if the system is empty. Saves the compressor from getting burnt up. The gas is 1234yf but it can be converted over to 134. System needs to be done right and in the correct order so you dont do more damage to the components regardless of what gas goes in.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,429 Posts
If the car was in an accident then you need to put it on a recovery machine to see if its empty or has a leak. If you changed components then its going to need a vacuum and oil charge before you put the freon in. The clutch wont engage if the system is empty. Saves the compressor from getting burnt up. The gas is 1234yf but it can be converted over to 134. System needs to be done right and in the correct order so you dont do more damage to the components regardless of what gas goes in.
Dear sir,
this is an automotive forum on the internet. Surely you don’t expect people to subscribe to your alien concepts of doing things the right way, do you??

Please refrain from using logic and reason in your responses, or I will be forced to report you to the moderators. ;)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Dear sir,
this is an automotive forum on the internet. Surely you don’t expect people to subscribe to your alien concepts of doing things the right way, do you??

Please refrain from using logic and reason in your responses, or I will be forced to report you to the moderators. ;)
Ya i know. Almost pointless but got to try and convert them to correctness.
Guy was here 2 days ago with adding freon because he changed the compressor for a bad clutch( should have just changed the clutch instead of compressor) and added the freon without adding the oil. Then trying to figure out how hes going to add pour in oil with freon in the system already. Smh.
Im probably going to have @A Guy give me hell for telling him it can be switched to 134. Lol

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I would just spend a couple hundred bucks and have the system evacuated, leak tested and recharged by a shop with the right equipment and training.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The 1234yf is expensive. Have the car scanned . Sometimes a stupid code even an engine code will not let the ac compressor engage. GM’s are notorious for a bad coolant thermostat not allowing the compressor to kick on. I can’t tell you how many cars we get into the shop that are over charged with Freon. An overcharge causes it to blow warm air it Has to be perfect. Really need to put on a machine. I wold scan it clear the codes and then check it and make sure it’s got Freon in the system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts