Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Scat Pack Challenger. Automatic trans issue. I went into manual mode, and instead of downshifting one gear, it went down from 7 to 3. Maybe I held the manual mode too long? I though it wend down one at a time. .... anyway made a hard clunking shift, then would not come out of 7th gear, the engine light came on. Pulled over, went to N and back to D, still stuck in 7th,. Restarted car, resored functionality. Check Engine light on still.
1.) Anybody ever see this before ?
2.) If I hold the shift paddle or shifter in the downshift position, is it supposed to keep going thru the gears, or only go down once , even if I hold the shifter???

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If you HOLD down the minus shift wether it be the paddle or shifter the car will downshift to its lowest possible gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
You have a transmission issue. Get a code reader at Autozone or whatever and let us know what the codes are.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,657 Posts
Car has a warranty. Get the car in to the dealer and have the behavior investigated. Not likely you are going to fix this on your driveway.

BTW, had my Hellcat in a over a month ago for a +paddle shifter problem. Every once in a while when I pulled on the +paddle instead of shifting up a gear it would shift down a gear. (Less often the shift was just ignored but not because the vehicle speed and engine RPMs were too low.)

Tech found some error codes that I had not been aware of. I have never seen the CEL come on nor any warnings appear. Besides I have a data logger installed and it checks for any OBD2 error conditions once a minute and if any found retrieves these along with the freeze frame data and there were none recorded in all the months and months of data.

Some errors were related to low battery voltage.

Anyhow 3 updates were applied to the car. The one addressing a CAN bus issue and cruise control, but another for the ECM (engine control module) and yet another for the TCM (transmission control module). Since then the +paddle shifter has behaved itself.

(The work invoice does not list the details of the ECM or TCM updates.)

Your car might be a candidate to have these (or other) updates applied.

Oh, regarding the -paddle if you pull and hold the -paddle the transmission will down shift as many gears as it can -- while not violating the engine's red line (IOWS, the A8 TCM and ECM will not perform a "money shift". I have never bothered to check if the shift lever when held towards the minus position will do this.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,429 Posts
My 2015 Charger R/T R&T would do that when I did the long hold down shift. It would throw a CEL, and it was something about unable to calculate torque or something. It would happen about 1/3 of the time, but I could not reproduce it for the dealer. The downshift is as designed and in the manual, great feature, but...
And the code should self clear after about 3 complete drive/cool down cycles, or a readout tool can, get the code first.
My 2015 Charger would also do the random downshift when using the upshift paddle like Rockster mentioned. ONLY from the paddle, NEVER from the shifter itself. I think it was when using a very quick tap on the paddle, not a normal timed/firm tap.
Also, Dodge didn't address, but I only took it in once for it, and I think it went away, possibly after a recall visit for software update.

BUT, I never had it get stuck in the original higher gear and had to restart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you HOLD down the minus shift wether it be the paddle or shifter the car will downshift to its lowest possible gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for that. I didn not knownthats how it works, apparantly same for floor shifter. That explains a lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have a transmission issue. Get a code reader at Autozone or whatever and let us know what the codes are.
I have a nice reader. Is it tru, 2018 I can not read from under the dash and I have to go in the trunk somewhere?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts