Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack; 2018 SXT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my daily driver SXT with just under 29k miles is down as of 12th May. The fuel pump started whining pretty loud and after a few days it completely went out rendering the car out of service as it would not restart. I had it towed to my local dealer and the car has been sitting outside their lot since then, as if waiting in a hospital out patient waiting room for it's fuel pump transplant!

The dealer says both pumps have gone and the parts won't arrive until 12th June. That's a month out of service. This car is leased, and yes, the dealer is paying for a rental (an SXT Charger through a rental company) but isn't a month out of service a bit unreasonable? I didn't pay to lease a basic looking Charger, I paid for a Challenger.

I'm in Cali and I did look up the Lemon Law, but it seems the 30 day out of service check only applies within the first 18 months after delivery, so won't apply in this case.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
343 Posts
So my daily driver SXT with just under 29k miles is down as of 12th May. The fuel pump started whining pretty loud and after a few days it completely went out rendering the car out of service as it would not restart. I had it towed to my local dealer and the car has been sitting outside their lot since then, as if waiting in a hospital out patient waiting room for it's fuel pump transplant!

The dealer says both pumps have gone and the parts won't arrive until 12th June. That's a month out of service. This car is leased, and yes, the dealer is paying for a rental (an SXT Charger through a rental company) but isn't a month out of service a bit unreasonable? I didn't pay to lease a basic looking Charger, I paid for a Challenger.

I'm in Cali and I did look up the Lemon Law, but it seems the 30 day out of service check only applies within the first 18 months after delivery, so won't apply in this case.
Does seem a bit odd that it's going to take that long, however since you're leasing the car, the actual owner of the car can take as long as they want as long as they're providing you with a rental. However, I would definitely not be happy about paying the monthly lease payment for the month you're not using it.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
175 Posts
Use it to your advantage. You will have a month's worth of miles to make up for on your lease. Probably no mileage limit on the charger.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
As long as you’re not walking or pedaling a bicycle it’s all good. You’re not leasing a car in truth you’re just renting it so what’s the difference.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Covid has caused a delay in parts supply. I'm in collision and I have seen some parts on 3 month backorder.

I don't think 1 month is unreasonable in this environment.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack; 2018 SXT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3 months? Dang!

Well went for a drive today our of boredom and put 250 miles on the rental today, so that makes me feel better :)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,536 Posts

A Guy

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Hey trade it in for another lease vehicle Challenger

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
343 Posts
reminds me of the scene in "Days of Thunder" when they get the rental cars to race around in and beat the piss out of them.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Just a thought, I've never leased anything so I don't really know what a contract spells out.

·
Registered
516 Posts
There's a huge kink in everyone's parts distribution networks & supplier manufacturing chains right now (you might be able to venture a guess as to why). But those ETA dates given to dealers are often more pessimistic than they end up actually being...well most of the time under normal circumstances. All bets are off right now unfortunately.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts