Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the cheapest DIY enhancers I could do for my car that would improve performance? Something easy to install/for beginners.

-or-

Some of the cheapest performance enhancers I could start with and have installed by a professional?

Thanks for any assistance/guidance.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,263 Posts
Cheap and performance don't much go together I'm afraid. Modifications for looks and sound yes, but actual performance gains are not cheap. Cheapest may be a unlocked PCM and a custom tune, but still $1,000-$1,500 :( 15-25HP at most

Rear gear change, but not particularly cheap. Real gains mostly from a supercharger or turbo(s). All can void parts of your warranty...and your wallet

A Guy

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
What are some of the cheapest DIY enhancers I could do for my car that would improve performance? Something easy to install/for beginners.

-or-

Some of the cheapest performance enhancers I could start with and have installed by a professional?

Take a look at Pedal Commander, it does not increase your HP
But it changes the feel and the way your car accelerates
I put it my RT back in December and love it
10 minute install.Look on YouTube

·
Registered
130 Posts
Pedal Commander as mentioned will give the perception of more power and relatively inexpensive. Had it on my last car and it was great. Getting it for my Challenger soon.

CAI and exhaust might gain a little but wouldn’t even be noticeable really. But the sound is nice from either or both.

RIPP supercharger will gain you a lot of power but be prepared to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks will look into those. I just get nervous because I am not really skilled enough to do big DIY projects and don't trust any mechanics out there to do the work.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
thanks will look into those. I just get nervous because I am not really skilled enough to do big DIY projects and don't trust any mechanics out there to do the work.
Pedal Commander is 2 plugs at the gas pedal

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought my first Challenger about a year ago and I absolutely love it. I'm 50+ and have had my share of muscle cars growing up, my 12 SXT Plus is definitely faster then any of em. I actually got lucky because before I has any real knowledge of these cars, the one I got has the Super Super Sport Group/SST pckg, 3.06 rear, sport suspension, brakes, and steering every cool option, etc. I've disabled TC and laid TWO solid nice signature lines with no problem at all. VERY impressive for a six. Smh. I'm already looking to upgrade (I'd be happy with the EXACT same car) but with the bigger motor before I start investing big $ into add ons. That being said, I'd still like to do "something", and I heard the Pedal Commander is the way to go. I know how it works, but what's the difference with that and a tune, WTF do they actually do? Does it "strain" the motor? Thx

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had the pedal commander on my last car and will get it for my Challenger but it basically removes the lag inherit in all drive by wire cars.

It’s a very noticeable difference. It had various modes but city and sport mode, different then our car’s sport mode, are good for daily driving. Sport Plus mode is way to touchy for any city or traffic driving.

Since you know how it works you know it doesn’t give any more power but it sure feels like it because with the lack of throttle delay it just takes off.

Pro of the pedal commander is that it doesn’t touch your ECU so if you turn it off there’s no trace of it for those concerned about warranty claims.

With a tune you’ll get more actual power, including throttle response, but it’s more involved and usually more costly. There’s also always a trace of it for those that warranty is a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
48 Posts

-or-

Definitely recommend a pedal commander: https://www.challengertalk.com/threads/pedal-commander-10-off-sale-whos-running-one.674924/#post-8513601

RIPP Coils and Catch-Can would be my next recommendation.

If you need a good set of well fitting floor mats, Husky Liners is what I run and recommend too. https://justboltons.com/search-results-page?q=Husky+challenger

·
Registered
13 Posts
Regarding the Pedal Commander, I'm pretty sure I understand how it works, and takes away the "lag" regarding the time you hit the pedal and the time you actually feel it. So my question is, I'm assuming taking off from a dead stop you can really feel the difference with the PC installed. But what about after you take off from the line? Do you notice any difference besides hitting the gas from a standstill? What I mean is, my car is idiling at the starting line - I take off from a standstill (where you notice the diff with the PC), but what about three or four seconds after punching it? Do you still feel a difference? Like if I'm doing 45/50 mph, and then I get on it, will I notice any increase with the PC installed? Thx in advance

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,263 Posts
Until owners reply, they way I understand it, it changes the reaction time/linearity...this would be throughout the gas pedal travel. So yes, the biggest difference would be noticed from idle, but if you are at a steady state, half pedal 50MPH for instance, and floor the pedal, that reaction should be faster as well. At 1/2 pedal 50MPH the throttle body blade would not be full open. Floor it and it will go full open faster than without the PC. This video is the Sprint Booster, which came first I believe. In any case, most prefer the features of the PC, but both work similarly

A Guy

·
Vendor
48 Posts
Regarding the Pedal Commander, I'm pretty sure I understand how it works, and takes away the "lag" regarding the time you hit the pedal and the time you actually feel it. So my question is, I'm assuming taking off from a dead stop you can really feel the difference with the PC installed. But what about after you take off from the line? Do you notice any difference besides hitting the gas from a standstill? What I mean is, my car is idiling at the starting line - I take off from a standstill (where you notice the diff with the PC), but what about three or four seconds after punching it? Do you still feel a difference? Like if I'm doing 45/50 mph, and then I get on it, will I notice any increase with the PC installed? Thx in advance
Oh you definitely will. In the Pedal Commander’s Sport mode it feels like the V6 has tons of power especially when you are cruising at highways and have to switch lanes and pickup speed quickly. It does not disappoint.

·
Vendor
48 Posts
Until owners reply, they way I understand it, it changes the reaction time/linearity...this would be throughout the gas pedal travel. So yes, the biggest difference would be noticed from idle, but if you are at a steady state, half pedal 50MPH for instance, and floor the pedal, that reaction should be faster as well. At 1/2 pedal 50MPH the throttle body blade would not be full open. Floor it and it will go full open faster than without the PC. This video is the Sprint Booster, which came first I believe. In any case, most prefer the features of the PC, but both work similarly

A Guy
100% agree.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also have the Pedal Commander on my 2017 SXT Plus. I am very happy with the acceleration now. It made me keep the car for now as I was thinking of trading for a Scat Pack. I still want to get a V8 but have to pay mine down a bit more and with winter a few months aways there could be some good deals out there on a nice low mile used SP.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I gotta admit, coming from a V6 Tacoma my SXT Plus feels like a rocket!:eek:

This is my first time into this type of vehicle...and I love it.
I will save my pennies and as James May says keep it "STANDARD!"....and in a couple years upgrade to the V8.

305 HP is good enough for me as a daily driver being in the 50+ age range....for now at least :unsure:

·
Registered
130 Posts
305 HP is good enough for me as a daily driver being in the 50+ age range....for now at least :unsure:
Same here. Love my new Challenger. Perfect as my daily driver. The supercharger option keeps popping into my head but that is for way down the road. I like the idea of having the V6 supercharged though. Sleeper status in a way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts