Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a personal preference but ....

Just got my 2018 SXT (TORRED) and I've got some graphics coming in Matte Black. I'm looking to get wheel skins to cover the stock rims (until i can save up for some "real" rims). My question is do you think the black skins (which are gloss black) look good with matte black graphics or should i just got with chrome? I've seen pictures of the chrome ones on cars, but I haven't been able to find any pictures of the gloss black ones. Thanks for the opinions.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
It really is a personal choice - some people prefer chrome and some people prefer black. One of the huge benefits of using wheel skins is that you can always switch between the two quickly, easily and inexpensively. :) So go with your gut and absolute worst case, you just spend another $80 to switch to the other style later if you want. Hell, if you don't like your original choice, I may even buy them off of you to have as spares. :)

I actually replaced the stock black'ish 19" wheels that came on my 2018 GT with the 18" SXT wheels just becuase I like the classic 5-spoke design and because they had both black and chrome wheel skins available for those wheels. I actually prefer the chrome wheel skins over real chrome wheels since I live in the Northeast and drive the GT year-round (it's AWD). So if the chrome gets pitted from road salt or I damage the finish via a pothole or even due to curbing a wheel, I can make them look brand new again for ~$20 per wheel. :) They look close enough to real chrome wheels for me considering all of the advantages they offer (most people have no idea they aren't real chrome wheels).

Here are a few pics of my GT with chrome wheel skins:

All of that being said, for *me*, I would go with chrome (I love the chrome look). But like I said, you can always change over to black later if you wanted without breaking the bank. :)

Oh - please post a pic of your ride! May help others give their opinions on which type of wheel skin to go with!

·
Registered
13,961 Posts
I saw a Contusion Blue SXT a couple years back and he either had gloss black wheel skins or he painted the stock SXT wheels gloss black, either way they looked fine and think they would look good with TorRed. They're so cheap that could dump them if you don't like them. I wouldn't worry about the gloss, the old Blacktop wheels were gloss black and were very popular.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not familiar with these wheel skins...never seen them before. What are they made of...how do you install them...where do you get them...they look really great BTW.
Eddie

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I usually just buy them off of Ebay as I can usally get them chaper on Ebay than anywhere else.

Here is a site that has them for different Dodge wheels - wheels skins are for a specific OEM wheel (it's not like a hubcap that will work on any steel wheel - skins are custom-fit for a specific wheel). Some wheels, like the 18" SXT 5-spoke wheels, have them in both gloss black and chrome.

https://www.suburbanwheelcover.com/Dodge-Challenger-Wheel-Skins-s/1128.htm

I absolutely love these things - I have them on my Impala too (I have 5-spoke Charger wheels on my Impala). They are very easy to take care of, hold-up very good and are pretty inexpensive considering the results (in my opinion). There are just plastic pieces that are shaped like a specific wheel - and have either a chome finish or a black finish. They just snap on over top of the wheels. There are even multiple brands for the 18" SXT 5-spoke wheels. Some "attach" via the center cap and lugnuts and other brands attach mainly via plastic clips.

I have the "Pacific Rim & Tire" brand on my Challenger (attach with clips) and they are a little *too* secure. If/when I replace them, I will probably go with the "Coast To Coast" brand (mainly attach via center cap and lugnuts) - they are a little more expenive though...

Hope that helps. Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the info...they sure look nice on your car...just hope they don't scratch my wheels if I don't like them and remove them.:smile:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
If you are worried about scratching the wheels at all, I'd definitely go with the "Coast To Coast" brand. The clips are REALLY tight on the "Pacific Rim and Tire" versions. So go with the type that are secured via the center cap and lugnuts (sold under multiple brand names, but Coast To Coast is the manufacturer). If you need help identifying the correct brand, let me know and I'll send you a link.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I will say, ever since I replaced the stock 19" GT wheels (black'ish wheels) with the 18" SXT 5-spoke wheels with chrome wheel skins (yes, I actually went DOWN in size), I get *so* many compliments on my car. The chrome wheels really do make it look sharp and make it stand out. I was just at the dentist and both the dentist and the receptionist were telling me how nice my car was! It seems everywhere I go when the car is nice and clean - whether it be dropping my son off at school, going through the McDonalds drive-thru, the grocery store and now even my dentist, people are constantly commenting on it (which wasn't the case when it had the stock wheels).

I had the same thing happen with my Impala after installing the Charger wheels with chrome wheel skins - so many compliments - and the Impala isn't exactly a "looker" of a car (it's a 2012 - the style that is/was in every rental lot).

I know black wheels seem to be the "in" thing, but I've had the exact opposite experience. As soon as I put chrome wheels on my cars, *that* is when I start getting the compliments! :) Maybe black wheels are finally starting to run their couse and chrome wheels are coming back in "style" again now....

·
Registered
120 Posts
I prefer the chrome look as well. And to me 18 inch wheels look way better than 19s or 20s plus they make for a better ride.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,961 Posts
Dealer by me used to put chrome skins on all the pre-owned Challengers, don't know if he still does. These were the old style SXT wheels used up thru 2014.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Thanks jtrosky for all your help. I will be ordering today. will post pics when I get them on.
You are very welcome! In case anyone else stumbles onto this thread in the future, here is all of the info on where to buy, part numebrs, Ebay links, prices , etc...

There are two different brands for the 18" SXT wheels - while they pretty much look the same, they secure to the wheel in different ways. I have the Pacific Rim & Tire brand on my Challenger and while they look good, they are EXTREMELY tight - and I suspect that the super-tight clips *could* scratch the wheels (haven't checked though). If you are worried about that, I would go with the Coast To Coast International brand - I think they are much less likely to scratch the wheels. Although, once you put these on, you'll never want to go back to the bland & boring "silver" finish again anyway! :)

This info is just for the chrome versions. Both companies also make a gloss back version for these wheels - you can find them on the Suburban website and/or Ebay.

- Coast To Coast International (secure mainly via center cap and lugnuts):
- Model #: IMP-401X

- Suburban Wheel Cover web site ($27.50 each or $100 for a set of 4): https://www.suburbanwheelcover...heel-Skins-p/imp-401x-chal.htm
- Surburban Wheel Cover on Ebay ($85): https://www.ebay.com/itm/132510239001

- Pacific Rim & Tire (secure mainly via clips around spokes - VERY tight - could scratch wheels):
- Model #: 8252P-C

- Suburban Wheel Cover web site ($100 for a set of 4): https://www.suburbanwheelcover.com/15-19-Dodge-Challenger-SXT-Chrome-Wheel-Skins-p/8252p-c-chal.htm
- Suburban Wheel Cover on Ebay ($89): https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/202078304995

Look forward to seeing pics with them installed!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jtrosky...you are the man!!! installed them on my octane red SXT yesterday. They look really nice. Got pics but it was almost dark so pics don't really show how good they look. Hope they last and stay pretty for a good while...Thanks again

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Jtrosky...you are the man!!! installed them on my octane red SXT yesterday. They look really nice. Got pics but it was almost dark so pics don't really show how good they look. Hope they last and stay pretty for a good while...Thanks again
Can't wait to see some pictures!!! In my experience, they easily last a few years - maybe longer (I've had a set on my Impala for about 5 years now and they still look good). If they ever do start looking crappy (due to road salt, curbing a wheel, etc), you can make your wheels look brand new again for $85. :) Basically, you will always have brand-spanking-new-looking wheels now! So easy to clean them too.

How did the Coast To Coast versions attached to the vehicle? I haven't used that brand yet. I think you basically "tighten" them to the wheel inside the center cap somehow, don't you? ANd the lugnuts also help to hold them on?

Looking forward to pics!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Can someone take a closeup photo of JUST the wheels a BEFORE and AFTER? I have a 2009 Dodge Challenger SE stock rims and my wheels are pitted badly from all the NE snow & salt and rain. It didn't matter I garage kept my car and washed off all the salt many times it ruined all 4 of my rims. Perhaps this is my best option considering I have over 170,000+ miles on my car. I checked the website suburbanwheelcover and didn't find any for a Dodge Challenger.
Question: Does it require any tools at all or simply just use a mallot and taps right in? Do they fall off easily if you hit a pothole or anything? $20 each?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Can someone take a closeup photo of JUST the wheels a BEFORE and AFTER? I have a 2009 Dodge Challenger SE stock rims and my wheels are pitted badly from all the NE snow & salt and rain. It didn't matter I garage kept my car and washed off all the salt many times it ruined all 4 of my rims. Perhaps this is my best option considering I have over 170,000+ miles on my car. I checked the website suburbanwheelcover and didn't find any for a Dodge Challenger.
Question: Does it require any tools at all or simply just use a mallot and taps right in? Do they fall off easily if you hit a pothole or anything? $20 each?
They only make wheel skins for certain, specific wheels. I have a feeling you have wheels that they are not made for (if your wheels are the wheels I am thinking of). Please post a picture of what type of wheels you have.

No tools required for install. I have ony had the Pacific Rim & Tire brand, but I can assure you that they will NOT fall off - EVER. :) In fact, they are on *too* good - I wish they were a little easier to remove if needed (I think the Coast To Coast brand would be better in that respect). I just pound them on with my hand - but they are extremely secure.

·
Registered
930 Posts
They only make wheel skins for certain, specific wheels. I have a feeling you have wheels that they are not made for (if your wheels are the wheels I am thinking of). Please post a picture of what type of wheels you have.

No tools required for install. I have ony had the Pacific Rim & Tire brand, but I can assure you that they will NOT fall off - EVER. :) In fact, they are on *too* good - I wish they were a little easier to remove if needed (I think the Coast To Coast brand would be better in that respect). I just pound them on with my hand - but they are extremely secure.
These are my stock 2009 SE rims (before the corrosion) - see attached

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts