Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
These are my stock 2009 SE rims (before the corrosion) - see attached
They are 18" wheels, correct? If so, you want these wheel skins (they make them in both chrome and black for that wheel):

https://www.suburbanwheelcover.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=imp-355&Submit=

You can probably get them cheaper on Ebay though - just search ebay for "IMP-355 wheel skin".

EDIT: If you want chrome, here is a brand new set for $65 shipped - this add also includes before and after pictures too:

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/293037238915

EDIT2: One thing that I'm not sure about are the wheel weights. Most alloy wheel have wheel weights on the inside of the wheel, so that they aren't visible. With wheel weights on the outside rim like they are on your, they may "interfere" with the wheel skins. Absolutely worst case, you may need to get the wheels rebalanced using the newer-style stick-on wheel weights.

EDIT3: Just to clarify - while it doesn't really take any tools to install - there are some exceptions. Some wheel skins require that you remove your existing center-cap and then re-install it "through" the wheel skin after it's installed. Other skins don't use the center-cap at all and don't require you to remove the center-cap. So f the wheel skin for your particular wheel requires you to reinstall your center-cap "through" the wheel skin after it's been installed, then you will need to remove the center-cap before installing the wheel skin. Unless you have a way to remove the center-cap without removing the wheel (to push the center-cap out from the back), then you may need to remove the wheel for installation - just to get the center-cap out before installing the wheel skins. Just wanted to make that clear. Whether or not the skin requires you to install the center-cap "through" the skin after it's installed just depends on the exact wheel type and/or brand of the wheel skin. You *do* want to be careful if you try to remove the center-cap without removing the wheels - they are only made of plastic and ti's easy to damage them if you try to "pry" them out. They do make special tools to make center-cap removal easier, but personally, I would just remove the wheels in order to remove the center-cap - unless you need to remove them often for some reason.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Wheel Skins NEEDED

Wow what an improvement! Look how BAD my rims have gotten from the NE winters!
see attached
Thank you for the Links! You guys are awesome! What would I do with out you people?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yikes! You are the *perfect* candidate for wheel skins! You see how big of an improvement they make on *brand new* wheels - just imagine how much of an improvement they will make on your car with damaged wheels! :)

Just remember, your existing clip-on wheel weights will most likely cause you grief - so you may have to take your car and get the wheels re-balanced with the newer stick-on weights (just make sure to ask them not to use clip-on weights on the outer lip). Otherwise, there there will probably be a big "bump" where the clip-on weights are - if you can install the skins at all. But still, even with the addition cost of rebalancing your wheels, it's still a very inexpensive way to make a dramatic difference in overall appearance. You wheels could probably use a rebalance anyway. :)

I would just take the skins with you when you get the rebalance done and have them put them on for you since the wheels will already be off (so that you don't have to take them off again to remove the center cap for skin installation).

Personally, I think these wheel skins are the best kept "secret" out there. A lot of people don't even know they exist.

·
Registered
883 Posts
2009 Dodge Challenger Rim Skins SE

Yikes! You are the *perfect* candidate for wheel skins! You see how big of an improvement they make on *brand new* wheels - just imagine how much of an improvement they will make on your car with damaged wheels! :)

Just remember, your existing clip-on wheel weights will most likely cause you grief - so you may have to take your car and get the wheels re-balanced with the newer stick-on weights (just make sure to ask them not to use clip-on weights on the outer lip). Otherwise, there there will probably be a big "bump" where the clip-on weights are - if you can install the skins at all. But still, even with the addition cost of rebalancing your wheels, it's still a very inexpensive way to make a dramatic difference in overall appearance. You wheels could probably use a rebalance anyway. :)

I would just take the skins with you when you get the rebalance done and have them put them on for you since the wheels will already be off (so that you don't have to take them off again to remove the center cap for skin installation).

Personally, I think these wheel skins are the best kept "secret" out there. A lot of people don't even know they exist.
I didn't even think about the clip-on wheel weights that are currently on = TRUE very good point. I never thought about that when putting on the skins.
So if they remove the clip on weight balancers, skins go on, then how do they balance them from the other side of the rim on the inside? Before I purchase the skins I'll check with STS. I'm an excellent candidate for these skins. My rims look just AWFUL.
These skins REALLY are the best kept secret out there. I wish I would have known of them sooner.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I didn't even think about the clip-on wheel weights that are currently on = TRUE very good point. I never thought about that when putting on the skins.
So if they remove the clip on weight balancers, skins go on, then how do they balance them from the other side of the rim on the inside? Before I purchase the skins I'll check with STS. I'm an excellent candidate for these skins. My rims look just AWFUL.
These skins REALLY are the best kept secret out there. I wish I would have known of them sooner.
I would just take your car to the place that will re-balance the wheels and tell them you need the wheels rebalanced using stick-on wheel weights instead of clip-on weights - so that there are no wheel weights on the front of the wheels anymore - and ask them to leave the center caps out when then re-installing the wheels. That way, if you do have to remove the center-caps to install the skins (I'm not sure with these particular skins), they'll already be uninstalled and you won't have to remove your wheels just to remove the center-caps. Then, either in the parking lot or when you get home after the wheels have been rebalanced wth stick-on weights, you can just install the skins yourself and then re-install the center-caps (they just push in). Apparently, the skin manufacturers recommend installing the skins *after* the wheels are balanced - not before (probably to reduce the chances of them damaging the skins while balancing the wheels).

Just explain to them that you will be installing wheel skins, so you can't have any clip-on wheel weights on the front edge of the wheels anymore.

When they rebalance the wheels, they will use little square stick-on wheel weights - they place them on the insides of the wheels instead of on the outer edge like the clip-on weights you have on there now. Stick-on wheel weights are VERY popular now, so they'll know what you mean.

Really, you could even ask them to put the wheel skins on after they balance the wheels - that way, they can make sure the stick-on weights won't interfere with the wheel skins at all (if they put the stick-on weights *too* far towards the front of the wheel, they could still interfere with the skins). Unlikely, but possible. If you have them install the skins (they shouldn't charge any extra - they snap right on), there is no chance of the wheel weights being in the way.

Trust me, it'll be the best $65 you've ever spent. It will make a dramtic difference in how godo the car looks.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Take a dremel and grind a spot for the weights.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Not even sure if that would work. The skns are so thin, that you probably couldn't grind enough of the skin away to allow the skins to sit flush on top of the weights. Really, the plastic "base" of the skin is just there to hold the chome finish - so it's really thin. Plus, I suppose it could "compromise" the chrome finish if you dremel the back of them? Not sure though.

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
see attached
I bought a set of 2010 18" wheels to use in the winter. Mine look just like your's. I'm sure the inner wheel is pitted from salt. The outside though, is clear coat failure, not salt related. I have spider webbing all over, but I don't care since these are my ugly winter wheels that are thankfully only used a couple of months here.

·
Registered
883 Posts
So the outside is clear coat failure? Is this a common issue with just Dodge rims or all the cars?
I'm hoping STS has the stick-on wheel weights instead of clip-on weights. They might say "the clips ons are what we use and what we have" and if that's the case I may have to find a different tire place. I'll find out before I buy the rim skins.

Attachments

·
Registered
883 Posts
If you want matte black try plasti-dip.
Not a fan of plasti-dip. It always chips then you see speckles of silver under, then you end up having to constantly respray it all the time and it won't hide the obvious pitting. Sanding the oitting before hand it still won't be perfect. Skins appear to be the best option.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sxt wheel skins imp 401x

Jtrosky....answer to your question of how do they mount. You must take take the wheels off the car and remove the center cap. There is a plastic holder that goes into the wheel center from the back and then install the skin and then tighten a wing nut to hold the skins in place. Then install wheel center cap. They are very secure..
NOTE: When it is time to take car in for new tires, make sure to tell the guys that you have wheel skins on so they won't damage them.
They look great...don't know how to post pictures but they look exactly like the picture on Suburban's web site.
:smile:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yeah, I have to do something for sure. And I DO NOT want clip on weight balancers OVER the skins. Here another shot of the wheel showing they used the outside weights currently. I didn't even know stick ons on the inside were an option? Do or can stick on come fly off easily or become dislodged from ice and snow over time?

Looks even worse in person up close.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You have nothing to worry about with the stick-on weights. They are probably used more often than not nowadays (a lot of wheels *must* use the since there is no lip to attach the clip-on style weights to). All tires places have stick-on weights available. They actually seem more common than the older clip-on weights nowadays. STS will have them and you won't have any issues. They've been on my Impala for years and obviously on my Challenger (both the stock wheels from the factory and the older-style 18" wheels I put on).

21 - 36 of 36 Posts