Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
After countless hours of wheel searching I’ve decided, for now, to stick with the stock 20” Chrome Clads that I have on my car. I just never could find an aftermarket wheel that I really liked that also happened to have the right fitment/offset/sizing that I wanted that didn’t also happen to be out of stock/back ordered/discontinued. And, truth be told, I actually like the look of the Chrome Clads and the idea of keeping the car stock looking (well stock-“ish” anyway...I’m having the rear wheels widened to 10.25” in order to mount 295’s).

So this thread interests me. I’ve seen wheel skins advertised for Chrome Clads and have thought of buying a couple just to have as “spares” in case any of my wheels were to end up scuffed/worn, etc. How do these look compared to the stock “cladding”? I would think they would look exactly the same since the Chrome on the stock wheels are basically “skins” in the first place? (???) Would they be identical?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
After countless hours of wheel searching I’ve decided, for now, to stick with the stock 20” Chrome Clads that I have on my car. I just never could find an aftermarket wheel that I really liked that also happened to have the right fitment/offset/sizing that I wanted that didn’t also happen to be out of stock/back ordered/discontinued. And, truth be told, I actually like the look of the Chrome Clads and the idea of keeping the car stock looking (well stock-“ish” anyway...I’m having the rear wheels widened to 10.25” in order to mount 295’s).

So this thread interests me. I’ve seen wheel skins advertised for Chrome Clads and have thought of buying a couple just to have as “spares” in case any of my wheels were to end up scuffed/worn, etc. How do these look compared to the stock “cladding”? I would think they would look exactly the same since the Chrome on the stock wheels are basically “skins” in the first place? (???) Would they be identical?
Yes, they basically look the same. However, you cannot remove the "cladding" on stock chrome-clad wheels - it's "permanently" attached - and you cannot put wheel skins on "top" of chrome-clad wheels. One of the huge advantages of wheel skins over chrome-clad wheels is that the wheel skins are easily replaceable.

If you "curb" a chrome-clad wheel, you have to buy a whole new wheel. If you "curb" a wheel with a wheel skin installed, you can just replace the skin itself.

At least I've never seen skins for chrome-clad wheels - but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I'm curious to see what you mean - do you have a link?

My car in the beginning of this thread has chrome wheel skins installed - so that is an example of what they look like.

·
Registered
126 Posts

There are several sites selling them. They all do mention that the original cladding AND all residual glue must be removed first. I’ve read that is a pretty big job. (?)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
View attachment 985859

There are several sites selling them. They all do mention that the original cladding AND all residual glue must be removed first. I’ve read that is a pretty big job. (?)
Ah, I see what you mean - replacement cladding (I thought you meant a skin that you put over the top of the existing cladding).

Yeah, I have seen a video where someone removed the chrome cladding - it looked like a major PITA (search youtube and you'll find it).

Wheel skins, on the other hand just snap on and off (but are still very secure).

Also - $124 for a single replacement cladding is crazy. You can get a set of 4 wheel skins for ~$89. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
This place apparently once had a set of 4 that were very affordable ($145)

They all say they “snap” in place (no glue required) once you remove the original cladding and glue. So I believe they are just like the skins you have been using in that regard - just with the added enjoyment of removing the original cladding and glue first. 😁

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
This place apparently once had a set of 4 that were very affordable ($145)

They all say they “snap” in place (no glue required) once you remove the original cladding and glue. So I believe they are just like the skins you have been using in that regard - just with the added enjoyment of removing the original cladding and glue first.
Ah - I see - so they are basically regular wheel skins just like the ones I use, just for the factory chome-clad style wheels. So once you get the factory cladding off, then they would work like any other wheel skin.

It's a shame the factory cladding is so hard to remove (at least based on the video I saw). But if you really want to stay with that wheel style, that is about your only option, I guess. If you like any of the other factory wheels, it may be cheaper just to buy a set of used wheels on ebay and a set of wheel skins (and a LOT less work!!). I think I paid like $450 for my set of (4) 18" factory 5-spoke wheels - plus another $89 for the set of wheel skins for it.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts