Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 1320, high octane red, Race Stars and Mickey Thompson et rs, hurst shifter.
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I had a few questions on small mods. I recently sold my supercharged rt and purchased this car and couldn't be happier. My question is the scat pack came with 485hp and people are doing hellcat inlet mod and cold air setups to free up hp. Well the T/A has the inlet for box as well as a cold air kit but bieng a functional cold air kit to boot. Does the T/A have a little more horsepower than the scat pack? Or did Mopar detune the few ponies and have the setup for visual astetics

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 1320, high octane red, Race Stars and Mickey Thompson et rs, hurst shifter.
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have the same HP and both stock intake system outflow the engine demand.
yes I understand but if there is no gain why do scat pack owners do these mods?

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I just bought a new to me 15 SRT392 and just bought a hellcat air box complete off ebay for 50 bucks- lower box, filter with 8k miles on it and lid and tubing to throttle body. I then ordered the tube to the headlight.

the lower hellcat air box has a better open design over the factory srt box and the filter flows more than the regular stock filters and honestly i don't even know what filter I have in my used srt since I bought it a few days ago. I just assume some generic parts house filter, being that it is used and the last owner put on some kind of non stock tires on it, so I'm sure this car didn't see the dealership for stock part replacements.

the appeal is to install the best dodge has to offer, good enough for a hellcat better for a srt or scat I assume the logic, there maybe no hp gain but it would seem to give cooler air at some points having more openings would seem the logic.

I did some testing on my supercharged v6 and found the hellcat box improved airflow to my engine via data logging over the stock v6 box and lid. I also tested the hellcat filter over the K&N drop in and saw good gains in airflow with the K&N filter, so good and positive I put the hellcat filter on the shelf. This was on my V6, so I don't know the real story for the 6.4 since I'm just getting started.

I myself saw gains with playing with the air filter systems and tb's and intake manifold porting on my V6, so I will do the same kind of mods and tinkering with the 6.4 hemi, many told me the v6 in stock form had no more improvements left over stock, but i found power which got my car from 15.2 at 93 mph to 13.9 at just over 100 mph, naturally aspirated. guess the internet expert didn't know what they was talking about.

So to me I'll ignore all the folks who say there is no power to be found and march on and see what i can do with this 6.4, time will tell. I will find something or nothing. I bought this car to tinker on and find e.t and mph in small places that will add up over time is the plan.

Right now I have some 295 40 20 tires on the way for little better traction, camber bushings to straighten up rear tires for better traction, bmr lower trailing arms for better traction,cut a half of a coil off the coils in the rear for better traction, hellcat air box assembly and filter, I will port the intake and do some port work on the throttle body. that should keep me busy for awhile.

Reactions: Fawls

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Because, as the old saying goes, “There’s a Sucker Born Every Minute.”

Well, not completely accurate in this case. Certain types of cold air intake systems really look great and dress up the engine compartment. It totally fascinates folks who get to see the engine compartment and think the awesome CAI probably adds a whole lot of horsepower to the muscle car.

In many cases, the car’s owner had a few hundred bucks to spend on mods and read somewhere that a CAI was essential as a first mod and would release a whole lot of horsepower that the manufacturer’s engineers left on the table.

Ok. I’m just poking fun here and not serious. >:)

I may even install a really cool air intake on my own car someday just for the looks.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I did the Hellcat intake mod for 2 reasons:

The intake through the headlight hole is cool, and the Hellcat system helps get and keep the intake temps close to ambient sooner.

People do a bunch of mods that don't deliver any real performance gains, and that's part of the fun.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Only reason for it is to keep intake air temps down, the only reason the hellcat has it too. CAI is honestly pointless on our cars, the stock one flows good enough as is, but if you're driving hard on the track you're IAT will steadily go up as the engine is heat soaking itself. So if you open up the headlight, the ram air affect will help to lower the IAT and keep them lower than without it by supplying cool air directly into the air box. It's not about gaining horsepower but more so keeping the horsepower you already have. Colder air, more dense. More air, more power.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only reason for it is to keep intake air temps down, the only reason the hellcat has it too. CAI is honestly pointless on our cars, the stock one flows good enough as is, but if you're driving hard on the track you're IAT will steadily go up as the engine is heat soaking itself. So if you open up the headlight, the ram air affect will help to lower the IAT and keep them lower than without it by supplying cool air directly into the air box. It's not about gaining horsepower but more so keeping the horsepower you already have. Colder air, more dense. More air, more power.
yes makes sense. What is there to gain from the 6.4 besides the obvious forced air induction.?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Because they are trying to get the massive horsepower increase that the shaker provides through its ram air system which naturally mimics a supercharger and forced induction.

Jk. Looks...occasionally louder intake sound...and because someone online said they got 20hp out of it. I like the hellcat headlight hole because that could get some colder air right to your filter but you won't see any change in power 99% of the time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,644 Posts
It's not about gaining horsepower but more so keeping the horsepower you already have. Colder air, more dense. More air, more power.
This is what I have been thinking, even with the discussion if the Shaker has more HP because of it's induction system. It doesn't add horsepower, it helps maintain. I assume since they rate an engine size, they don't rate each individual setup. Imagine the threads if they rated the 392 different in the SRT, Scat Pack, T/A >:)

A Guy

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is what I have been thinking, even with the discussion if the Shaker has more HP because of it's induction system. It doesn't add horsepower, it helps maintain. I assume since they rate an engine size, they don't rate each individual setup. Imagine the threads if they rated the 392 different in the SRT, Scat Pack, T/A >:)

A Guy
The shaker wouldn’t be any different. The shaker isn’t an air intake, it’s just an engine cover.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The shaker wouldn’t be any different. The shaker isn’t an air intake, it’s just an engine cover.
I was joking about the shaker adding notable power. But it's not an engine cover. It has ducting that goes right to the cold air intake box just like the hellcat light hole does. It is functional. However a shaker isn't any more powerful than a normal scat pack or r/t because it has that scoop. Maybe at higher speeds you'll get a tiny change in intake temps but nothing to speak of.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
I can't verify but my butt dyno says that the Tazer purchase I have helped when I keep the car in Track-Mode. You can't get that kind of fast shifting in the regular sport mode that both the Scat and T/A have. The only real way you are going to get any appreciable HP gains without going forced induction is downpipes and new headers, or if you can get your hands on an ECU and send it to Trinity or Diablo for tuning. Either of these options are easily in the 4-figure range for price.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't verify but my butt dyno says that the Tazer purchase I have helped when I keep the car in Track-Mode. You can't get that kind of fast shifting in the regular sport mode that both the Scat and T/A have. The only real way you are going to get any appreciable HP gains without going forced induction is downpipes and new headers, or if you can get your hands on an ECU and send it to Trinity or Diablo for tuning. Either of these options are easily in the 4-figure range for price.
thanks I appreciate it. Just looking for an 11 sec weekend warrior

·
Registered
15,052 Posts
I'm not saying it adds any real power but the Shaker is an intake, you can see the tube connecting to the airbox, it surely can't hurt.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'm not saying it adds any real power but the Shaker is an intake, you can see the tube connecting to the airbox, it surely can't hurt.

The shaker is a cosmetic only. I look at it and wonder if it isn't in the wrong place to be a power adder vs the cold air intake at the head light. The top of your engine is a hotter place than down lower and to the side behind that headlight. In a PERFECT world for CAI you'd be grabbing out side air from the lower grill area ducked UP to the intake rather than grabbing air up top and routing it down to the motor.

Not that it really matters much at all. Once you mash the "GO" pedal the air runs through any intake design so quickly heat soak into the pieces connecting your outside air to the engine don't have enough time with the air to transfer much if any engine compartment heat to the air entering the engine. The best designs probably focus on smoothness of the flow rather than where the outside air is coming from. I'd imagine unnecessary turbulence is probably the bigger problem if it happens.

·
Registered
271 Posts

Ah, I see. Seems like a good concept with poor planning. It may lower the intake temps 1 or 2 degrees but with it right over top of the engine, it'll have the same heat soaking issues. Seems like they wanted to bring back the shaker and give it a little "something" to entice people to buy it. I do think they look really cool, I do have a Trans Am and love the look of a shaker on the hood, just never realized it had a air intake, always thought it was just an engine cover.

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
When in motion 30+ mph, does anyone factor in the velocity of air moving over the vehicle, and through the scoop (shaker, T/A hood), headlight inlet, or the apron duct (lower grille) that the air moving through doesn't have that much time to pick up heat...?

yes, if your sitting still or barely moving, you'll pick up warmer air.

I've seen the IAT get to 145 - 160*F in slow traffic (shaker in my instance) as its picking up warm air from the all around the car (radiator, exhaust, pavement). In motion, those temps drop very quickly.

I recall the effect of heat soak on my '09 R/T (stock airbox). With the short IAT sensor that was used then, 2nd / 3rd gear definitely could feel the effect of heat soak, just driving around in-town traffic.

I switched over to the newer "long" IAT sensor that came along in '11 models that got rid of the heat soak symptoms. Even then, the lowest IAT temp with the stock airbox was 18*+ ambient with that design.

These engines to respond to IAT / heat soak. Its not very noticeable on the 392, but I certainly did experience on the (then stock) 5.7.

After the mods (cam, tuning) on that 5.7 I had, I didn't notice heat soak symptoms as I did when it was all stock.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts