Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Crew,

I have a 2018 T/A with approximately 5k miles. I run my car in sport mode 90% of the time but I never turn on the sport until I get off my road onto the main road. While in "non-sport" mode going below 25 mph between shifting (about 2500 rpm's) I will here a slight clanging noise. Really noticeable when around a building or narrow street and it echos a little. It almost sounds like a metal cover of some sort of rattling. I did take it for a drive in non-sport mode to see how often it happens and it really only seems like it happens between 2nd and 3rd gear on a load at approximate 2500 rpm's. I NEVER hear this noise while in sport mode. Can anyone relate? Any suggestions? If its something simple I can fix I would prefer to do it myself because my experience with the shop is I am without a car for 2 + weeks.

Thank you!
DeAnna

Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
May be one of the active exhaust valves making the noise. They are open when you are in sport mode. You might try driving the same road with sport mode turned on and see if there is a difference. There have been a few people that have had problems with the valves. Welcome to the forum! Good luck 馃憤

Premium Member
May be one of the active exhaust valves making the noise. They are open when you are in sport mode. You might try driving the same road with sport mode turned on and see if there is a difference. There have been a few people that have had problems with the valves. Welcome to the forum! Good luck 馃憤
Yep, as I was reading this too was to be my recommendation. It is a "known fact" that the active exhaust comes loose and rattles. I think there might even be a TSB out on this? Crawl under you car and put a wrench on the nuts and give them a snug- this should help.

In any event, my guess is that your rattle is exhaust related.

Registered
May be one of the active exhaust valves making the noise. They are open when you are in sport mode.
In any event, my guess is that your rattle is exhaust related.
^this. I'll just add that driving next to a wall/fence can help when trying to duplicate this and this is most likely is an exhaust valve rattle issue based on your description.

Registered
Ok.....we鈥檒l, does anyone have a sound clip of an AES noise that was confirmed to be the culprit?

Registered
Good luck with the dealer, my wife's 18 T/A does the exact same thing and as predicted the dealer says "can't duplicate the noise" and "operating as designed"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts