Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2018 Challenger TA 392. Has 24k on it. It is out of warranty due to rebuilt title, but you can’t tell. Drives perfect.
However...Four times now, the windows lower, radio turns off and the engine turns off. The last two times were when in a drive thru. The transmission started ticking/grinding so I quickly put it in Neutral. After stopped, it started up fine. This last time the Engine light came on, but my reader finds no codes. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,139 Posts
What kind of code scanner are you using? I prefer AlfaOBD (software that uses a 3rd party USB interface like OBDlink) as it can read and interrogate just about any module on the car. It can also run some diagnostics to test systems.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,494 Posts
Reads like a loss of electrical power. That the engine restarts suggests if it is an electrical power issue it is not with the battery but with the alternator.

But reading the codes is a good first step. Often times in the event of low electrical power various modules will log low power error codes. Loss of communication codes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of code scanner are you using? I prefer AlfaOBD (software that uses a 3rd party USB interface like OBDlink) as it can read and interrogate just about any module on the car. It can also run some diagnostics to test systems.
Using a Seekone OBD and a second older one. Brought it to the dealer for diagnostics for now. Will report what is found. Thx!

Dealer found no related codes. Light came on stating the parking brake was activated when not in park. There was clicking...perhaps the parking brake was the clicking and not the transmission. Hmmm. They are stumped as well...but I am not surprised.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,770 Posts
That’s about the cheapest fix I can think of in this scenario. Glad the problem is found.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,139 Posts
Now reminds me of another member who had an issue where car would not start after replacing his battery and it turned out the positive cable was loose at the terminal block just before the battery (not at the battery). Might as well check that one as well.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,494 Posts
Negative connection on the battery was loose. Hope that is all it is! Winner winner, chicken dinner for all replies that mentioned this!
Thanks for the update. Tried to keep my post short and sweet and left off the "last thing touched first thing suspected' and the boiler plate regarding checking battery connections (at least at the battery).

That'll teach me.

But at least you were on your toes and checked. Good job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It takes a team to figure out the most obvious sometimes. When you all said voltage loss, that drove straight to checking the battery. Even though simple, I try to post results so we can learn from them, no matter the duh moment it may bring.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,770 Posts
Now it’s a searchable solution to a set of symptoms.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts