Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am new to the forum and I appreciate your help beforehand. I was looking into getting a 19 or 20 GT AWD challenger. I live in MN and would love to get a car of my dreams basically to drive everyday especially in winter months. The GT challengers here go for about 28k used with around 20-30k miles or so. I am not very knowledgeable as far as how much each trim costs and I don't want to go to the dealership before any prior research so I am wondering if that is a fair price or if I should offer less. Thank you. I guess I could also get a sxt AWD but the GT ones looks so much better and come with remote start which is clutch in winter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
28k seems way high to me - don't let remote start be a deciding factor - you can add the factory system with the factory fobs for $600 or so

·
Registered
9 Posts
There’s a US-CAN list of differences that determine market pricing, but my new 2019 GT AWD was discounted down to $32K Canadian. Sticker was $47k, I recall.
It was a new, leftover car in March 2020, FYI.
Pretty much loaded, option wise.

Good luck with your shopping!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
380 Posts
You can get a 0-10 mile AWD SXT for less than 28k, should not be a problem with the GT either. Especially this time of year when dealers are trying to dump their inventory.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My loaded 2017 Challenger GT MSRP was over 40K US but I only paid 32K. With 90K miles with over 20K on snowy/icey roads it has been one of my best daily drivers. 30+ mpg is a nice bonus too.

·
Registered
2020 AWD GoMango SXT Blacktop
42 Posts
I got a new from factory (custom order) 2020 SXT AWD with the Driver Convenience Group (remote start and blindspot safety features) and Blacktop Package for 29k after tax. Used prices here on the '19 fleet AWDs were around $25-30k with 30-50k miles. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a new from factory (custom order) 2020 SXT AWD with the Driver Convenience Group (remote start and blindspot safety features) and Blacktop Package for 29k after tax. Used prices here on the '19 fleet AWDs were around $25-30k with 30-50k miles. Ridiculous.
Oh wow, yeah I can't decide which way to go

·
Registered
42 Posts
I figured I wanted a fresh car that I would properly break-in myself, and not have to worry about a car many likely smoked in, lugged, hit all sorts of potholes, didn't maintain properly, etc. Plus I got the color I wanted. The fact that my brand new car cost less than some used SXTs and GTs in my area that had the same or similar options was remarkable. It is ultimately your call. Just my .02

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured I wanted a fresh car that I would properly break-in myself, and not have to worry about a car many likely smoked in, lugged, hit all sorts of potholes, didn't maintain properly, etc. Plus I got the color I wanted. The fact that my brand new car cost less than some used SXTs and GTs in my area that had the same or similar options was remarkable. It is ultimately your call. Just my .02
How's snow clearance when you drive on snow. I live in MN and where I am at the roads get plowed pretty often but just wondering if you have any problems when the snow gets little high since these are generally low cars.

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
The AWD sits higher plus the tires are 29" diameter so that helps too, so for deep snow I'd probably get the SXT AWD instead of the GT as it still has the short front spoiler so more clearance than the GT which uses the Scat Pack spoiler and hangs a good bit lower.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
The AWD sits higher plus the tires are 29" diameter so that helps too, so for deep snow I'd probably get the SXT AWD instead of the GT as it still has the short front spoiler so more clearance than the GT which uses the Scat Pack spoiler and hangs a good bit lower.

My 2017 GT has the short front spoiler which turns into a plow when driving in heavy snow so you have to go slow. Biggest concern is finding a parking spot that doesn't have too much snow packed up. I'm running 275/40/20 Conti DWS06 All Seasons & haven't got stuck yet. I keep tires socks in the trunk to meet the "carry tire chain" requirements but haven't needed them yet.

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
My 2017 GT has the short front spoiler which turns into a plow when driving in heavy snow so you have to go slow.
So you can imagine the Scat Pack spoiler, not sure I understand the logic of that big front spoiler on AWD car but that's what they did starting in 2019.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can check my post history for my early review of snow driving too, but I've done well here (CO) and roads are usually plowed after I get to work. My neighborhood doesn't get plowed pretty much ever, and I tend to be the trailblazer leaving so early. I've dealt with close to 6 inches of fresh snow. No issues really. The SXT splitter is a bit smaller than the GT one, which likely makes it less likely to break away if pushing through snow. I kept my ride height stock to make sure I can go through deeper snow and ice more easily. Helps also keep my Sto n sho plate mount from getting ripped off the bottom front of the car. I believe that is the lowest point of the car, aside from maybe the rear differential.
Just drove in snow again this morning. Little trouble stopping on unexpected black ice when I was admittedly going too fast for the conditions (within the speed limit of course) but managed to get control with good snow/ice driving technique (pumping brakes, no swerving or overcorrection). Handled the rest of the drive just fine. Better snow tires wouldn't hurt, just don't know if ill shell out that much this early into ownership just yet, especially since the Pirellis are doing (for the exception of black ice) just fine. I don't think any tire is immune from that.
Sorry if this reply is a little soupy, mobile formatting and such.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can check my post history for my early review of snow driving too, but I've done well here (CO) and roads are usually plowed after I get to work. My neighborhood doesn't get plowed pretty much ever, and I tend to be the trailblazer leaving so early. I've dealt with close to 6 inches of fresh snow. No issues really. The SXT splitter is a bit smaller than the GT one, which likely makes it less likely to break away if pushing through snow. I kept my ride height stock to make sure I can go through deeper snow and ice more easily. Helps also keep my Sto n sho plate mount from getting ripped off the bottom front of the car. I believe that is the lowest point of the car, aside from maybe the rear differential.
Just drove in snow again this morning. Little trouble stopping on unexpected black ice when I was admittedly going too fast for the conditions (within the speed limit of course) but managed to get control with good snow/ice driving technique (pumping brakes, no swerving or overcorrection). Handled the rest of the drive just fine. Better snow tires wouldn't hurt, just don't know if ill shell out that much this early into ownership just yet, especially since the Pirellis are doing (for the exception of black ice) just fine. I don't think any tire is immune from that.
Sorry if this reply is a little soupy, mobile formatting and such.
Thanks that was insightful. I will check out your review.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Happy to help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts