Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2019 5.7 R/T: availability of limited-slip?

I’m 69. Looking at buying what could be my last car.

I thoroughly enjoyed my ‘70 Roadrunner [383, A3, 3.9 Sure-Grip, Air-Grabber, Vitamin-C Orange, :>)]. I can sell my CFO on a 5.7 A8 R/T Challenger, but I really would like a limited-slip differential. (With G60x15 studded snows, the ‘70 RR was unstoppable in Chicago winters!)

Earlier this year, I confirmed with Dodge corporate that 2018 Challengers with the 5.7 engine and A8 trans could not be equipped with a limited-slip differential. See post #10 at this thread: https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f322/2018-r-t-6sp-manual-still-come-limited-slip-rear-621401/

Last week, Dodge released information about the 2019 Challengers.

Verbiage from the Dodge press release:
The Performance Handling Group on the Challenger R/T adds upgraded springs, sway bars, Bilstein shocks, bushings and mounts, helping to improve performance and response during spirited driving. For the driver looking to get even more out of the Challenger R/T model, the new Performance Plus Package adds track ready 20 x 9.5-inch forged wheels riding on 275/40ZR20 Pirelli P-Zero tires, limited-slip differential and enhanced handling balance for improved cornering performance.

Questions:
- I wonder if this is bad news and good news about the availability of a limited-slip differential (lsd) on 5.7 Challengers in 2019?
— Bad news: Will the lsd now be optional on 5.7/M6 Challengers? (Update: LSD will be standard on 2019 5.7/M6 Challengers.)
— Good news: Will the lsd now be optional on all 5.7 Challengers regardless of whether equipped with M6 or A8?
- Price of an R/T 5.7 with the Performance Handling Group and the Performance Plus Package vs. the base price of a 6.4 Scat Pack?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Verbiage from Dodge Press Release:
Not to be outdone, the 2019 Challenger R/T and new GT rear-wheel-drive (RWD) models extend their performance capabilities with standard Super Track Pak features, including:
* Performance suspension
* Enhanced steering
* 20-inch Granite Crystal painted wheels
* Steering wheel mounted paddle shifters (with automatic transmission)
* Performance hood and front splitter
* Performance bolstered cloth Houndstooth seats

The Super Track Pack is standard on 2019 Challenger R/T models, but no longer includes Performance Pages.

(JAZ) Performance Pages option included with:
- (AAY) Plus Package
- (AGB) Performance Handling Group

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
For the '15-'18 models, you could only get the LSD (posi) on the manual 5.7L cars. From reading the press release when it first came out, my interpretation was that it will now be offered with the 8 speed auto cars. for the '09-'14 R/T 5.7s, is was always available as an option on the 5 speed autos and standard on the manuals.

I assume '19 manual 5.7s will have standard LSD. They also come with the shorter 3.91 gears.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Per the window sticker below, a ‘19 5.7/A8 Challenger that is ordered with the Performance Handling Group (AGB) will be equipped with a 3.09 differential.

Questions:
- All 3.07 differentials are conventional/open?
- All 3.09 differentials are limited-slip?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My 2019 R/T Hemi shaker Challenger M6 has the LSD 3.91 gears
You are correct that LSD has always been standard on M6 Challengers.

Began my search for a Challenger R/T in late 2017. I wanted my Challenger to be as close to the muscle cars of my youth as possible (e.g., V8, loud, stiff jiggly suspension, automatic, LSD). Per the buying tools at dodge.com, during most (all?) of the 2018 model year, there was no way to get LSD behind a 5.7/A8 in a Challenger. In 2018, I contacted FCA via email and they confirmed that LSD was not available behind the 5.7/A8.

It was significant that LSD was again available on 5.7/A8 cars in 2019.

Checked all my muscle car boxes by buying a leftover new 2018 Challenger Scat Pack (6.4/A8/Bilstein/LSD) last March. 🙂

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I am going to have one (LSD) in my 2015 5.7l A8 R/T this spring when it comes out of storage.

I love going through factory "Parts Bins" to build performance. Too bad that my dealer won't tune cars, I'll have to go elsewhere to eliminate MDS and for a cam and headers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts