Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between the Scat Pack Challenger and the base V6 Challenger both in automatic 8 spd. transmissions, which car has more maintenance issues and or reliability issues as a whole from engine/body/electrical/drivetrain problems? (overall all systems in Challenger) :unsure:

·
Registered
233 Posts
The Scat Pack has higher cost pieces, ie electric steering 4 or 6 piston brembo brakes, extra cooling systems, etc. So the maintenance and repair costs are going to be higher.

Electric steering has proven to be somewhat needy in terms long term reliability not matter who the manufacturer is. Several thousand from the dealer. The six piston brakes are several thousand too.

That V6 is a darn nice car with what 300 hp? thats pretty stout considering a 2002 WS6 Trans Am with the venerable LS1 was only 315 hp

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Scat Pack has higher cost pieces, ie electric steering 4 or 6 piston brembo brakes, extra cooling systems, etc. So the maintenance and repair costs are going to be higher.

Electric steering has proven to be somewhat needy in terms long term reliability not matter who the manufacturer is. Several thousand from the dealer. The six piston brakes are several thousand too.

That V6 is a darn nice car with what 300 hp? thats pretty stout considering a 2002 WS6 Trans Am with the venerable LS1 was only 315 hp
Is there a scat pack challenger that does not have that Brembo 4 or 6 piston brake option? (6 piston Brembo brakes several thousand dollars for brake replacement/maintenance?:eek:)
I was going to purchase a 2002 Trans Am new back in that day but they discontinued it. But after test driving both of these cars brand new the 2002 Trans-AM was still a faster car with that Corvette LS-1 engine V8. 2019 Challenger SXT is a V6 and also a heavy car.

So the Scat Pack model comes with electric steering as standard equipment only?
What about the brake option in that you must purchase the 4 or 6 piston Brembo brakes with Scat Pack? Doesn't Scat Pack come with regular 4 disc brakes?

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
459 Posts
It's very unlikely you'll have to replace the calipers anytime soon on a scat pack, and pads and rotors are about the same as any other car. But, if you don't want to pay the premium for better equipment and still want some good power you can always get a 5.7 R/T. All of the Dodge motors and transmissions are extremely reliable as long as you maintain it, the v8 automatics do tend to have an issue with the MDS lifters failing at higher mileage, but I wouldn't let it worry you as it's pretty rare considering the amount of engines produced and the small % that have the problem, and they are usually high mileage cars anyway.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's very unlikely you'll have to replace the calipers anytime soon on a scat pack, and pads and rotors are about the same as any other car. But, if you don't want to pay the premium for better equipment and still want some good power you can always get a 5.7 R/T. All of the Dodge motors and transmissions are extremely reliable as long as you maintain it, the v8 automatics do tend to have an issue with the MDS lifters failing at higher mileage, but I wouldn't let it worry you as it's pretty rare considering the amount of engines produced and the small % that have the problem, and they are usually high mileage cars anyway.
Nah I didn't like the way the 5.7 rode. I would get the SXT over t he 5.7. I really couldn't feel the difference. But with the SRT 392 is the deal breaker.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just want the performance and reliability. I don't want to deal with things falling apart or worse mechanical and major maintenance on major components of the car.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
459 Posts
I just want the performance and reliability. I don't want to deal with things falling apart or worse mechanical and major maintenance on major components of the car.
If you want performance get a v8 then, the Pentastars a great motor but I wouldn't call anything weighing 4000lbs with 300hp a performance car, more like a quick daily driver. Whatever option you pick they're all reliable

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want performance get a v8 then, the Pentastars a great motor but I wouldn't call anything weighing 4000lbs with 300hp a performance car, more like a quick daily driver. Whatever option you pick they're all reliable
Thanks for that info. This brand, make and models all got the worst possible reviews from Consumer Reports magazine.
I was born and raised on V8 cars when the norm was 10 miles per gallon and less.(y):cool:
Isn't the Penestar engine known as the "mini van" engine?
Then again that's what the police:sneaky: use here in those Dodge Chargers because they have a budget they must stay within. :)

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
369 Posts
Thanks for that info. This brand, make and models all got the worst possible reviews from Consumer Reports magazine.
I was born and raised on V8 cars when the norm was 10 miles per gallon and less.(y):cool:
Isn't the Penestar engine known as the "mini van" engine?
Then again that's what the police:sneaky: use here in those Dodge Chargers because they have a budget they must stay within. :)
Consumer Reports is an opinion magazine giving predicted reliability and they never give American vehicles a good reliability. I never seen it anyways. Who even buys CR anymore?
On the other hand just recently some other writeup that does reliability over a number of years has the Challenger much higher than the Mustang and Camaro.
As for you can't feel the difference between a SXT and a RT.... You have to be joking.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
459 Posts
As for you can't feel the difference between a SXT and a RT.... You have to be joking.
Right lol, I have both at my house and it's night and day. A second difference in 0-60 is a pretty big jump. Sxt's are still great cars tho and still faster than your average car on the road with all the same looks as the higher trim levels.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Consumer Reports is an opinion magazine giving predicted reliability and they never give American vehicles a good reliability. I never seen it anyways. Who even buys CR anymore?
On the other hand just recently some other writeup that does reliability over a number of years has the Challenger much higher than the Mustang and Camaro.
nO joke. Now I haven't driven a 2020 model maybe there is in that test drive that has not happened yet. But no I was not impressed with 5.7. 392 ALL THE WAY!!!!
Consumers has always been that way. But they have been giving Buick a thumbs up which is shocking. Japanese cars were always scored high for the past 35 years plus.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right lol, I have both at my house and it's night and day. A second difference in 0-60 is a pretty big jump. Sxt's are still great cars tho and still faster than your average car on the road with all the same looks as the higher trim levels.
Remember this is factory vs. factory no modifications in this scenario.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
459 Posts
Remember this is factory vs. factory no modifications in this scenario.
I'm saying stock vs stock the 5.7 has a 1 second quicker 0-60 over the 3.6. I know it's not fair to compare my modded 5.7 to a stock 3.6

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
369 Posts
70 more HP and over 100 more torque and you can't feel a difference?
I'll just say..... Beautiful cars no matter what's in it but I had no interest in the 3.6. Just my opinion. I'll never knock those that have them but it just wasn't for me.

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,912 Posts
If purely common failure issues, both are really quite reliable.

The Pentastar other than a head issue fixed years ago (left side cylinder head problem had been found in about 0.5% percent of 2011-13, design was changed), and a leaky oil cooler (new part number, redesign) also fixed years ago is pretty much bulletproof. Well over 10 million in service. Any individual engine can have a failure, but commonly no. There are people who have over 400,000 miles on these engines

The 392 Doesn't really have any common failures, Some cam issues likely MDS related, but I believe less than the 5.7L?

So both are really reliable. As mentioned maintenance costs for the 392 cars is mostly 6 month oil change as opposed to 1 year. Not a big deal. Brakes are a big difference. The transmissions are both super reliable as is the rest of the drive line. Body and electrical are basically the same (obviously 2 more coil packs, and harnessing to supply, but not a common maintenance issue. 16 spark plugs once you get up there in mileage as opposed to 6. Rear ends, axles are reliable with stock power.

Honestly, besides the obvious engine/transmission/rear differential differences, both cars have very similar makeup. So as far as reliability, I don't think it factors in. For long term maintenance costs, assuming no uncommon issues, the 392 will be higher due to superior brakes and 8 cylinders instead of 6

So if you call them both equally reliable, the difference in power is the deciding factor, and assuming you don't do stupid things with it, the power shouldn't affect it's reliability

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,800 Posts
The 6 piston front brembos have very expensive rotors, and expensive pads. There are alternates out there, but still very expensive. The 4 piston brembos aren't too bad.
The 6 piston 15.4" rotors were standard on Hellcats, and ScatPack with the Dynamics package which also included the 9.5" wide wheels like the Hellcat, not very common, maybe 1 in 20? (just a W.A.G.).
Other than the engine itself and heavier duty transmisison, rear axle. A "normal" Scat Pack is the same as similarly optioned 5.7 R/T, and even a GT. I would bet that any problems you might happen to have are more likely to be in the common items, in the whole car. Which aren't common since after making basically the same car for 13 years, and 6 years since a major facelift, the only real updates have been in infotainment and bundling of options in a few years.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
459 Posts
I see powerstop brakes for the 4 and 6 piston brembos are actually the same cost as my 2 piston R/T brakes for pads and rotors. And I'll say myself the powerstops are much better than OEM stuff, absolutely no break dust and drive just the same. So I don't see why brembos cost more to maintain unless your changing calipers which is very rare, most calipers last just as long as the engine/transmission in my experience.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,202 Posts
For the performance difference vs. the increase in insurance premiums for me..... the 5.7L models are a no-brainer.

·
Registered
638 Posts

The 3.6 runs electric steering also. Not just the 6.4&5.7. All cars have maintenance thats required. Insurance would be cheaper on the sxt. The cost on the 6 piston brakes is the rotors. Thats the killer. Rear 4 piston brembos all run the same rotor. It all comrs down to what you like. High hp and torque, then 6.4. If you dont care about hp #'s and want just the look, then sxt is fine. Gas mileage is going to be better on the sxt. Just all boils down to preference,affordability and use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 3.6 runs electric steering also. Not just the 6.4&5.7. All cars have maintenance thats required. Insurance would be cheaper on the sxt. The cost on the 6 piston brakes is the rotors. Thats the killer. Rear 4 piston brembos all run the same rotor. It all comrs down to what you like. High hp and torque, then 6.4. If you dont care about hp #'s and want just the look, then sxt is fine. Gas mileage is going to be better on the sxt. Just all boils down to preference,affordability and use.
As far as insurance goes, I looked into it before I bought my shaker r/t. The SXT and the R/T Insurance are very close in price. A Scatpack was slightly more, but I am almost 60 years old. I’m sure the difference is greater if you are young.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts