Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Can't knock the Pentastar. 235k on my '12 Charger, although I am starting to have some issues after 8 years. Front end needs to be rebuilt as all fittings are old and worn. AC actuators needing to be replaced, that kind of stuff. Got a slight tick. My Mechanic checked it out and it is a driver side cam, which is wearing. His advice is to drive it till it breaks because he can get a long block with low miles no problem. Cheaper in the long run in his opinion as low mile engines are not hard to find, and the transmission is solid. Still beats the sticker on gas mileage on long road trips and oil analysis says no other issues with engine wear. I had the recall alternator replacement and replaced the oil pressure sensor as the only "major" repairs. Cat's were replaced free on warranty at 60k, and I did it again at 170k. That was a mystery. And I replaced the battery once. So basically, the engine is outlasting the rest of the car.

·
Super Moderator
15,762 Posts
Nah I didn't like the way the 5.7 rode. I would get the SXT over t he 5.7. I really couldn't feel the difference. But with the SRT 392 is the deal breaker.
then there's your answer buy an SXT.

And make sure that you get one with the 18" wheel setup with the base suspension.

The 3.6 V6 has longer oil change intervals over the V8s, with the 392 being the shortest (6K are requires full synthetic oil). The 3.6 can go max of 10K / 12 months on oil changes.

you can use 87 octane fuel

Your ongoing posts / questions - you keep looking at the high performance models, but constantly go back to wanting it to ride like a Buick. Ever thought about shopping the Buick models? they'd probably provide what you want.

You've mentioned you tried a R/T 5.7 and didn't like the ride.

So that excludes R/Ts, and Super Track Pack suspension option and basically any 20" wheel packages.

That would also exclude Scat Packs, wide body variants and anything with performance brakes.

If you bothered to look at the literature (in print) or on the website, you'd know the Scat Pack models are standard with 4 piston brembo brakes. Has been that way since MY 2015. We're now 6 model years since the launch of the Scat Pack models - so this information has been around for many years.

Might as well go ask GM is they'll build you a Corvette with a 4 cylinder engine with 15" wheel / tire combo - "Stingray"

Let us know what they respond back with.

Reactions: Chllngrswpr

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
563 Posts
then there's your answer buy an SXT.

And make sure that you get one with the 18" wheel setup with the base suspension.

The 3.6 V6 has longer oil change intervals over the V8s, with the 392 being the shortest (6K are requires full synthetic oil). The 3.6 can go max of 10K / 12 months on oil changes.

you can use 87 octane fuel

Your ongoing posts / questions - you keep looking at the high performance models, but constantly go back to wanting it to ride like a Buick. Ever thought about shopping the Buick models? they'd probably provide what you want.

You've mentioned you tried a R/T 5.7 and didn't like the ride.

So that excludes R/Ts, and Super Track Pack suspension option and basically any 20" wheel packages.

That would also exclude Scat Packs, wide body variants and anything with performance brakes.

If you bothered to look at the literature (in print) or on the website, you'd know the Scat Pack models are standard with 4 piston brembo brakes. Has been that way since MY 2015. We're now 6 model years since the launch of the Scat Pack models - so this information has been around for many years.

Might as well go ask GM is they'll build you a Corvette with a 4 cylinder engine with 15" wheel / tire combo - "Stingray"

Yea idk if I'd actually go 10-12k miles without an oil change any way. No matter what I do 4k on any car

·
Registered
168 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about reliability of the power trains. Your bigger issue is going to be with paint, body, rust and electronics which will hit any challenger.

Dodge has had clear coat drips on the fenders, rust builds up in the rear rockers and glitchy Uconnect.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,314 Posts
Can't knock the Pentastar. 235k on my '12 Charger, although I am starting to have some issues after 8 years. So basically, the engine is outlasting the rest of the car.
Kinda reminds me of some of the ol’ RAM pickup / Cummins Turbo Diesel equipped trucks. (y)

Reactions: Iamstubb

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
499 Posts

Exactly.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Id love to see GM's reaction to the request for a 4cylinder in their flagship car. Bet theyd laugh you out of the showroom and request you never buy a gm product again.
If your after gas mileage buy a Japanese car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Id love to see GM's reaction to the request for a 4cylinder in their flagship car. Bet theyd laugh you out of the showroom and request you never buy a gm product again.
If your after gas mileage buy a Japanese car.
Well you can get a Camaro with a turbo-4.

Ford GT and Raptor are V6s

21 - 30 of 30 Posts