Found the article and images on allpar:

There were some teaser images a few weeks back - now its going to happen

Attachments

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Cuda hood! Woot! Woot!
Really?

That's not what I see. I see a Pontiac Firebird Formula hood from the 1970s with the two openings up near the leading edge of the hood.

The 'Cuda hood scoops were angled shorter on the fender side and longer on the side toward the middle of the hood and they were much further back and farther appart from each other on the hood. This really does look far more like the Pontiac hood to my eye.

I hope this new design deviates from what I'm seeing more than it appears to from the picture we get here. The current Hell Cat Hood looks really good. They'll have to get this right to do "better" than what the Hell Cat has now.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
This new hood scoop treatment looks even MORE like the Formula Hood from the 1969 Firebird. Both the shape, separation and where they sit on the hood.

A couple of pictures.......because after all a picture still is worth a 1000.......well you know.....

https://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2009/05/31/19/28/pic-31618-1600x1200.jpeg?_ga=2.41389346.1841268400.1525266924-215548626.1522335522&_gac=1.196223838.1524054395.CjwKCAjw2dvWBRBvEiwADllhn4twouX2ECfUDL9ALUXLaqv3V1QFBb4RT8YM2QtxAm9tM3u4HpTTWxoCuokQAvD_BwE

http://www.superdutyfirebirds.com/gallery3/index.php/album66/albun95/firebird2

I have to admit I like the lines on the hood. I just wish that the scoops were higher. I had a 70 thru 73 formula hood that was damaged beyond repair. I cut the scoops out and one day will graft them onto a 69 Firebird Hood. Real functional scoops ..

·
Registered
764 Posts
Damn, beat me to it, I was going to post about this.

Personally, I think the new hood is ugly. It just doesn't work on the new Challenger. Not a fan. What was wrong with the original Hellcat hood? The Hellcat doesn't require much in the way of change to keep it "fresh" and "new," it's an attractive novelty item all on its own without needing to change a thing. The hood was unique and new, just like the Hellcat is. There is no 1970's Mopar equivalent to it.

Those who want and will buy a Hellcat know exactly what they want and why. It's not a car made to appeal to the mass consumer market, that's what the SXT's through the Scat Packs are for.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Likely they are the cuda style scoops moved farther forward on the hood as the intake and plumbing are closer to the front than the vintage cars that had
1. more engine setback
2. a carb that was in the center of the intake to feed air to

I have noticed that on my 6 pack hood that the scoop is much farther forward than on a vintage dodge as to put it more over the front of the engine/throttle body area. As you can see in my attached pic, the aircleaner sits in the 6 pack scoop and it is way farther forwared that engine midline.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Likely they are the cuda style scoops moved farther forward on the hood as the intake and plumbing are closer to the front than the vintage cars that had
1. more engine setback
2. a carb that was in the center of the intake to feed air to

I have noticed that on my 6 pack hood that the scoop is much farther forward than on a vintage dodge as to put it more over the front of the engine/throttle body area. As you can see in my attached pic, the aircleaner sits in the 6 pack scoop and it is way farther forwared that engine midline.
I understand WHY the scoop has to be at the front of the hood rather than in the middle.......but postion makes a huge difference in terms of what he was talking about when he said "Cuda scoops".......the twin openings are hardly unique to Chrysler and really getting the Retro look "right" doesn't work when the scoops need to be so very far forward.

Guess I'm just saying this looks like Pontiac Retro to me and since the scoop really does need to be so far forward I'd sooner have seen a different take on it that this. The current Hell Cat and Demon hoods BOTH are far better looking designs to my eye.

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's some images '69 Firebird Trans Am / '70 Cuda hoods

While the new '19 hood resembles the Trans Am scoops - its still a nice look.

I remember the '74 Firebird Formula hood - didn't like that as much (also included)

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
I agree with many here, I don't like it at all. I don't really care that it resembles a Pontiac, I just don't like the look. The existing hood is much better looking.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
Can't keep the same hood forever and like most change, it grows on you and you end up liking it. I think it looks fine. Wonder what hood the Scat Pack special performance model will have? :D

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can't keep the same hood forever and like most change, it grows on you and you end up liking it. I think it looks fine. Wonder what hood the Scat Pack special performance model will have? :D

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Who knows...maybe it might get the SRT hood w/ the CAI induction that was used for the '17/'18 T/A models

Now that the T/A model is not scheduled for 2019 production - there's these parts that were designed and only used for two model years

·
Registered
213 Posts
Reminds me mostly of a WS6 hood....... Need to see a full picture first but I think it looks decent.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reminds me mostly of a WS6 hood....... Need to see a full picture first but I think it looks decent.
Those last iteration Gen 4's - the styling was a bit much.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Those last iteration Gen 4's - the styling was a bit much.
A "bit much"?

The WS6 Firebird was that "Jump the Shark" moment. Some of us who LIKE Pontiac , bought them in the past and valued the idea of a somewhat more "up-scale" F-Car vs the more ultilitarian Camaro......the WS6 with it's ridicuous "tacked on" multi-scoops and spoilers was a LOW POINT in F Car body styling.

More on topic though:

I'm not completely sure why anyone sees '70 Cuda hood scoops in this new Hell Cat hood or why it is they can't see that GOOD DESIGN STYLE influence already in the standard R/T hood that has been around since the re-introduction of the Challenger 10 years ago.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
A "bit much"?

The WS6 Firebird was that "Jump the Shark" moment. Some of us who LIKE Pontiac , bought them in the past and valued the idea of a somewhat more "up-scale" F-Car vs the more ultilitarian Camaro......the WS6 with it's ridicuous "tacked on" multi-scoops and spoilers was a LOW POINT in F Car body styling.

More on topic though:

I'm not completely sure why anyone sees '70 Cuda hood scoops in this new Hell Cat hood or why it is they can't see that GOOD DESIGN STYLE influence already in the standard R/T hood that has been around since the re-introduction of the Challenger 10 years ago.
The problem with the standard R/T hood scoops is that they're small, plain, same as the non-functional fake scoops on the SE/SXT AND they've been around for 10 years. I'd like to see the shorter Cuda inspired scoops on the R/T and other models as well as these awesome looking new long snorkly HELLCAT scoops. The current SRT/TA one is ok but a little plain too. I like the true T/A scoop better. Nothing wrong with the Shaker, for those so inclined for that retro look.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts