Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SXT Plus Granite Crystal Blacktop
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Used 2019 R/T and it had the options that I was looking for except for the SiriusXM 8.4 UAS radio, it has a standard 7.0 no SiriusXM no Nav.:(
It does not have the shark fin antenna, just the hockey puck, the salesman said that it could not be upgraded to the 8.4 UAS or the UAQ radio.
I went to the infotainment web site and had a chat with a tech and he stated that it could be upgraded to the QAQ (Nav) radio and that I would have to check to see if it has a yellow connector and brown connector for Sirius and GPS. Well I can't pull the radio out of the car I haven't purchased yet. :rolleyes: LOL
It does have the back -up camera. Infotainment web site does have the UAS radio is not available
So, my question: has anyone done the upgrade on a 2019 challenger from a 7.0 to a 8.4 radio. :geek:

PS I have done a search on this web site and didn't find anything.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
152 Posts
I know this isn't a direct answer since I haven't messed with a 2019, but I am trying to finish a similar swap on my 2015 and maybe these tidbits will help.

My car didn't come with XM but it does have the puck antenna, similar to the one you are looking at. When I pulled my 5.0 radio it had a blue plug and the cable had a blue connector so it wouldn't plug into the RA3 I was putting in. Nice thing is, those fakra connectors all use the same cable end on the inside, just different color and keyed plugs over the end. So, I popped the retainer up, slipped the blue connector off and plugged it in without a cover to test it. Sure enough, XM and GPS all worked fine (minus the lack of an XM account), and I discovered the JY RA3 I bought had been upgraded to unlock Nav. So, been to a yard already and popped the curry connector off another car and just need to plug my cable in and I am done with that.

This doesn't guarantee that something didn't change between 2015 and 2019, but I am betting all you need is the right connector to be able to plug in the QAQ and see both XM and Nav.

No idea what the yellow connector would be for. There is a white one on mine for AM/FM, but no yellow plug.

The other thing I have been working on is a plug to defeat the 911 phone error message. I am guessing you will have to do that as well, or add a cell antenna.

Hope that is somewhat helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply ,but I think 2017 and later years something changed with the 8.4 radio.
I confused because the Dodge web site list the following for the 2019 Challenger R/T 7.0 radio.

"Uconnect® 4 with a 7-inch touchscreen includes an AM/FM radio, available SiriusXM® with one year of service, :unsure: Bluetooth® Streaming Audio, Voice Command, Hands-Free Calling, Apple Carplay® support and Android Auto™. "

Now can the 7.0 be updated /upgrade to include the SiriusXM ? I know you have to pay for the subscription.
I could live with the 7.0 if it is true.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
152 Posts
Oh yeah, the 2017+ radio’s are different. Different manufacturer, added Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, etc. No argument that they are different and my experiences may not be a direct correlation.

Found this - GPS Antenna add-on for UAQ

He was having problems with getting GPS, but the shark fin antenna only has two connectors on it (curry and Bordeaux) and the Bordeaux one is for the cell phone antenna leaving only the curry one for both XM and GPS. I couldn’t find pictures of a puck antenna, but everything I have read says they only have the curry connector. Based on this, I still think the only connector on the back of the radio for XM and GPS is the curry one. Perhaps his issue was with the radio and not the connection? Or maybe he didn’t have a NAV enabled radio like he thought?

Below are images of a shark fin antenna:

Here is the back of a 7” without XM. Note the white and blue connectors like I found on my 5” without XM:

Here is the back of a 7” with XM. White with a curry connector now:

In my case, the blue cover is removed from the harness, and a curry connector added, and I get XM and GPS. I believe your case would be the same.

Here is the back of a 2017 8.4 4C (NAV) followed by an RA4 (note it is not from a Challenger). My radio said VP3 (which is an RA3), but I can’t find anything on the 2017 one to indicate if it is a QAQ like you mention. Pretty sure a 2017 and 2019 radio are the same, but it’s just a guess. Either way, it has several new connectors. On my RA3, it had 2 new connectors, a pink one and a Bordeaux one, plus the curry and white ones. This one shows a Bordeaux, white, curry, pink and red.

In my case, the pink connector is unused. Just guessing that the QAQ (I think maybe it is a UAQ??) would ignore the pink and red connectors and still use the white, curry and Bordeaux ones.

Based on the first two radio’s above, I would guess you could also swap to a 7” with XM and the curry connector by swapping the blue end on your harness for a curry one and get XM without an issue.

But I am just extrapolating data, so take it with a grain of salt.

BTW, people have swapped the 2017+ radio’s into the 2015-16 cars with success, so they aren’t so different that it is all new territory.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DionR (y)
I see that there is a 7.0 non SiriusXM part # 68399217AC
has the blue connector

and a 7.0 with SiriusXM # 68399233AC
and the SiriusXM has the curry one.

In your case, the blue cover is removed from the harness, and a curry connector added, and I get XM....
Question where did you get the curry connector to replace the blue one.

By the why you have been a GREAT HELP!!!!

I think this is what I looking for, to be able to get the SiriusXM with the 7.0 radio and the 7.0 is a whole Lot cheaper :cool:

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
152 Posts
Question where did you get the curry connector to replace the blue one.
I just went to a local wrecking yard and walked around with the guy until we found a rig were the radio was missing already. Doesn't have to be a Challenger, just about anything from 2015 up that had XM in it should have the connector. It has a clip towards the back that slides up allowing for the cover to slide off. You don't even need to cut anything and the only tool might be a knife or small screwdriver.

I can take a picture of mine and post it later, if you want.

Glad to be able to help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK, by the way did you have the shark fin antenna to start with or the hockey puck?
Thanks I think we are narrowing this down :D

I also hopes this helps anyone else looking into this 🤜 🤛

Found this info:

Colored FAKRAs/Connectors behind all Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep radios and modules

- White is AM/FM.

- Blue is GPS/Compass.

- Yellow/Curry is SiriusXM. (You might find a yellow connector if you remove the blue pigtail on the new unit. Depending on the vehicle, you may find only a yellow port which is for a dual antenna GPS and SiriusXM combined)

- Purple is 911 Assist which is not required.

- Red is for diagnostics.

- Pink is not mapped to anything.

- Green and Orange are sometimes featured, but not required unless you already have those connections in your vehicle.

- Gray Mini USB is for your USB Hub.

- The large, black harness is the main power harness.

For the most part, just match everything by color. The only exception would be when it comes to Blue and Yellow.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
152 Posts
I have the hockey puck antenna. Only reason for the shark fin is for the GSM (cell) connection.

Your info doesn't match my experience in regards to the blue/curry plugs. In my experience, you will have only one of those, either a blue or curry connector on your harness. Blue is for a radio with no XM access and only give GPS connection for the compass. The curry connector uses the same cable and plugs into the same antenna, but means the radio can access XM and GPS. But the cable carries both signals regardless of which it is plugged into.

That said, my experience is limited to my car alone and what I have read/seen on YouTube, so I could be wrong. Not going to pretend to be an expert. I just know that my blue connector cable plugged into the curry socket on my RA3 and I had both XM and GPS (Nav).

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
152 Posts
Note that I edited post #4 to add images of the shark fin antenna that I forgot to post.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DionR sorry if you misunderstood my post, you are correct there will be only 2 connectors white and blue on non Sirius radio and have to change the blue to a curry for a Sirius radio. I just posted the list for the info for all the connectors which would include the 8.4 radios.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
152 Posts
DionR sorry if you misunderstood my post, you are correct there will be only 2 connectors white and blue on non Sirius radio and have to change the blue to a curry for a Sirius radio. I just posted the list for the info for all the connectors which would include the 8.4 radios.
Ah yes, I missed the last line in your post. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Saw a video how to remove the connector with a small screw driver , lifting the little clip on the side. also saw you didn't need a connector, just push the coax cable in, only problem is it is not locked in: :poop:

Just throwing that out there, not the proper way to do it o_O Not recommended !!!!!!!

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
660 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just went to a local wrecking yard and walked around with the guy until we found a rig were the radio was missing already. Doesn't have to be a Challenger, just about anything from 2015 up that had XM in it should have the connector. It has a clip towards the back that slides up allowing for the cover to slide off. You don't even need to cut anything and the only tool might be a knife or small screwdriver.

I can take a picture of mine and post it later, if you want.

Glad to be able to help!
Man you just saved me some grief!! My newer RA3 has the Blue connector on the back and my old RA2 has the Curry colored connector. I've been racking my brain looking for an adapter. Even with several emails back and forth with Matt at infotainment he wasn't catching on to what I needed! I've seen the bare connectors for sale online.... Gonna buy one right now! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts