Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between these two vehicles which car would be the faster car from 0-60 mph or getting onto freeways both cars using all season tires and just leaving transmission in "DRIVE". Any other differences between these two Challenger models?

Also which hood comes on the 1320? Is it the Hellcat hood that has a functioning hood that releases hot air from engine compartment?

On the regular Scat Pack which hood comes on that car without the shaker hood option? Is that hood functional which looks like a regular scoop on what used to be the SRT Challenger?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm not an expert on all the details...but...the 1320 comes with Drag Race weight transfer electronics, a trans brake and sticky tires....so it would be definitely be faster to 60 mph. Leaving them in drive always results in the quickest times with an 8 speed. Getting onto freeways they both will blow your mind :)

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
All Scat Packs (without Shaker or T/A) now come with the old Hellcat hood with the center scoop and two vents.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Both cars have the same power and roughly the same weight, so it comes down to chassis tuning.

The 1320's chassis is tuned for maximum acceleration in a drag racing environment.

So, 0-60 I would say the 1320 has the edge. This edge goes away as starting speed increases.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
If you can't launch them, it's a moot point.

Reactions: 72/340

·
Registered
301 Posts
Both also have launch control/trans brake. Or at least SPWB does.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Launch control is not a trans brake, only 1320 (and Demon) has trans brake.

Reactions: AFZ

·
Registered
301 Posts
Launch control is not a trans brake, only 1320 (and Demon) has trans brake.

Correct
There is a confusing use of Launch Control, Launch Mode, and Trans Brake in the manual. As I understand it, but please correct me:

1) Launch Control is the ESC monitoring of wheel hop, allowance of some wheel spin, and detection of off-line direction. Engages full ESC is conditions are violated
2) Launch Mode uses the preset RPM that you hold with the brake and WOT-launches when you release the brake.-includes Launch control
3) Trans Brake is the dynamic setting of the launch speed with the paddles and WOT. Launches when you release the last paddle.-Also includes Launch Control and/or suspension programming for weight distribution(?)

So-holding the RPM in Launch Mode is simply keeping the transmission in neutral or reducing fuel compared to the transmission being engaged in reverse and drive when in trans brake? Can't find any clear description of exactly what differs with regards to transmission status, fuel, and braking (except that trans brake has no wheel braking). What lets you go wheels up?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Correct
There is a confusing use of Launch Control, Launch Mode, and Trans Brake in the manual. As I understand it, but please correct me:

1) Launch Control is the ESC monitoring of wheel hop, allowance of some wheel spin, and detection of off-line direction. Engages full ESC is conditions are violated
2) Launch Mode uses the preset RPM that you hold with the brake and WOT-launches when you release the brake.-includes Launch control
3) Trans Brake is the dynamic setting of the launch speed with the paddles and WOT. Launches when you release the last paddle.-Also includes Launch Control and/or suspension programming for weight distribution(?)

So-holding the RPM in Launch Mode is simply keeping the transmission in neutral or reducing fuel compared to the transmission being engaged in reverse and drive when in trans brake? Can't find any clear description of exactly what differs with regards to transmission status, fuel, and braking (except that trans brake has no wheel braking). What lets you go wheels up?
No.

Transbrake puts the trans in between Reverse and First and preloads it while holding the car in place.

1320 also has a higher stall then a regular A8.

I'd argue if you want an A8 SCAT, get the 1320. If you want a 6spd, get the T/A.

Want a wide body, get one in whichever trans you want.

Want to save a few bucks, get none of the above and go straight to a base car.

1320 is almost a full second faster then the rest at strip.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Between these two vehicles which car would be the faster car from 0-60 mph or getting onto freeways both cars using all season tires and just leaving transmission in "DRIVE". Any other differences between these two Challenger models?

Also which hood comes on the 1320? Is it the Hellcat hood that has a functioning hood that releases hot air from engine compartment?

On the regular Scat Pack which hood comes on that car without the shaker hood option? Is that hood functional which looks like a regular scoop on what used to be the SRT Challenger?
Base SCAT Pack has 245 tires, 1320 and T/A have 20x9.5 wheels with 275 tires. 1320 has Drag Radials.

·
Registered
301 Posts
No.

Transbrake puts the trans in between Reverse and First and preloads it while holding the car in place.

1320 also has a higher stall then a regular A8.

w

I'd argue if you want an A8 SCAT, get the 1320. If you want a 6spd, get the T/A.

Want a wide body, get one in whichever trans you want.

Want to save a few bucks, get none of the above and go straight to a base car.

1320 is almost a full second faster then the rest at strip.
What does "preload" mean?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,571 Posts
The transbrake locks three clutches in first gear and one clutch in second gear to hold the car in place. The driver does not have their foot on the brake with the transbrake engaged. Since two gears are being held in the transmission, the car does not move. Most transbrake systems hold onto first and reverse gear. Dodge chose to hold first and second gear for safety reasons. In the unlikely event the transmission fails, the car will still move forward, rather than potentially launching in reverse.

A Guy

·
Registered
301 Posts
Alright, thanks. But in the 1320 there us no torque reserve due to lack of boost, just what you get off the engine itself. So preloading refers to the availability of torque immediately upon release of the reverse clutch.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,571 Posts
Yes, I had the video load at the point where he talks about the Transbrake since that part is the same as the Demon.

Not sure what context preloading is used in this, perhaps meaning locked, but at RPM?

The 1320 does have a Torque Reserve system, which Dodge describes as "managing fuel flow to cylinders and controlling spark advance or retard to balance engine rpm and torque to maximize power delivery and launch performance" . Manages fuel and spark to lets the engine to build revs without making torque that would overwhelm the brakes—again, for a better launch

A Guy

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Merging onto a highway?

I can't imagine you'd notice any difference between the two cars, assuming you're talking about an automatic trans in the Scat Pack car........a manual shift is going to be different......but from a "roll" I wouldn't expect the 1320 to have anything the Scat Pack car doesn't have for acceleration. Afterall.......how-often do you merge from a standing start anyway?

Traction on a PREPARED surface (drag strip) from a standing start is THE ONLY PLACE I'd expect the 1320 to have a sure thing advantage.

On the street? From a Standing Start? With all the problems of traction you often find on the various street surfaces........

I'm not sure you can say with confidence that the the 1320 has any sort advantage at all. I can easily imagine scenarios where a HARDER HIT to rear wheels only serves to send you up in smoke as your Scat Pack rival finds traction sooner.

Everything I've read and understand about the 1320s specific tuning and extra effort is designed for a measurable advantage at the drag strip.........the street is a whole other situation where traction can easily limit what the 1320 does better than a standard issue Scat Pack. That "advantage" may or may not be helpful.

In the end you're talking about two cars of equal weight with what is the same engine and transmission........the 1320s only real advantage will be found with a near perfect launch.......how-often do you ever get that on the street?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Merging onto a highway?

I can't imagine you'd notice any difference between the two cars, assuming you're talking about an automatic trans in the Scat Pack car........a manual shift is going to be different......but from a "roll" I wouldn't expect the 1320 to have anything the Scat Pack car doesn't have for acceleration. Afterall.......how-often do you merge from a standing start anyway?

Traction on a PREPARED surface (drag strip) from a standing start is THE ONLY PLACE I'd expect the 1320 to have a sure thing advantage.

On the street? From a Standing Start? With all the problems of traction you often find on the various street surfaces........

I'm not sure you can say with confidence that the the 1320 has any sort advantage at all. I can easily imagine scenarios where a HARDER HIT to rear wheels only serves to send you up in smoke as your Scat Pack rival finds traction sooner.

Everything I've read and understand about the 1320s specific tuning and extra effort is designed for a measurable advantage at the drag strip.........the street is a whole other situation where traction can easily limit what the 1320 does better than a standard issue Scat Pack. That "advantage" may or may not be helpful.

In the end you're talking about two cars of equal weight with what is the same engine and transmission........the 1320s only real advantage will be found with a near perfect launch.......how-often do you ever get that on the street?
245 All Season vs 275 Drag Radials

That's a huge advantage on any surface at any speed.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,429 Posts
245 All Season vs 275 Drag Radials

That's a huge advantage on any surface at any speed.
If you were to take a guess how much of that is width vs compound? Like is the added traction 30% from width, and 70% from the compound? (I assume more from the compound, right?) I have the 275 on my Challenger, and it doesn't seem like it has any more traction on acceleration than the 245s that were on my Charger. Now under full on braking it pulled 1G, maybe a smidge more.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you were to take a guess how much of that is width vs compound? Like is the added traction 30% from width, and 70% from the compound? (I assume more from the compound, right?) I have the 275 on my Challenger, and it doesn't seem like it has any more traction on acceleration than the 245s that were on my Charger. Now under full on braking it pulled 1G, maybe a smidge more.
My 1320, swapped my rear Nexens to a 295/40 summer tire, a noticeable loss of traction.

245 is a joke and I believe was done as a cost savings on FCAs part.

The Drag Wheels are also a worthy addition, being forged 20x9.5, MSRP is $2,800 for a set.

·
Registered
301 Posts
All this makes me want a 1320. Would look nice next to the SPWB! I love all the flavors available.

Reactions: AFZ

·
Registered
981 Posts
The transbrake locks three clutches in first gear and one clutch in second gear to hold the car in place. The driver does not have their foot on the brake with the transbrake engaged. Since two gears are being held in the transmission, the car does not move. Most transbrake systems hold onto first and reverse gear. Dodge chose to hold first and second gear for safety reasons. In the unlikely event the transmission fails, the car will still move forward, rather than potentially launching in reverse.

A Guy
So i was wondering about this recently too. I understood it as Transbrake was a much more intense system of lines to hold everything in place. Where the launch control just locks up the wheels while revving the engine?

1 - 20 of 116 Posts