Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great news, for all of us non-amplified folk. PAC finally released the revision of the Ap4-ch41 (R.2) which is compatible with our cars, so we can finally do this the easy way.

While planning this system out, I keep running into a wiring question.

Is it better to run speed wire back to the head unit and just use the OE wiring or run new speaker wires? The reason I am asking is due to the front Dash and Door Midranges being wired in parallel. If I were to use the OE wiring with most direct replacements that are "4ohm", would that end up being a 2ohm load on the amp because of how they are wired?
To any of you that have already done it, did you guys just run new speaker wire? or am I missing something about the wiring of the base speakers?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,579 Posts
My 2012 base audio came with 8 ohm dash and 4 ohm doors, and I suspect yours is same. If you put 4 ohm in dash, the amp will see a 2 ohm load with watts being shared equally (split channel’s RMS down the middle for an each speaker figure).

Replacing the doors with 2 or 3 ohm speakers would tilt the watts per channel more in favor of the doors, and it would also lower the resistance the amp sees on that channel (~1.33 - 1.67 ohm).

As long as you aren’t pushing > 100w RMS down the channel, the factory wiring is fine. Any more than 100w, and you’re probably still fine, but i personally would look at upgrading wiring at that point.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
You may want to take this opportunity to run separate wires to each speaker so that you could, in the future, be able to control the door and dash speakers separately. While this would require two more channels of amplification, it is REALLY nice being able to control the dash speakers separately from the door speakers - especially if you plan to add a DSP in the future.

Personally, I went with a 6-channel amplifier for this reason. Along with the DSR-1 (which has a DSP built-in), this gives me complete control over every speaker. Otherwise, I couldn't EQ the dash speakers separately from the door speakers, for example - or have the dash and door speakers at different levels - or set time alignment properly - or....

Just something to consider.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may want to take this opportunity to run separate wires to each speaker so that you could, in the future, be able to control the door and dash speakers separately. While this would require two more channels of amplification, it is REALLY nice being able to control the dash speakers separately from the door speakers - especially if you plan to add a DSP in the future.

Personally, I went with a 6-channel amplifier for this reason. Along with the DSR-1 (which has a DSP built-in), this gives me complete control over every speaker. Otherwise, I couldn't EQ the dash speakers separately from the door speakers, for example - or have the dash and door speakers at different levels - or set time alignment properly - or....

Just something to consider.
I totally agree. What Nuke said is the other part of what I am thinking as well. There are really 2 paths for me here. Getting a system that I can enjoy immediately, or being efficient at how I spend my money to make sure I have what I really want long term. And being able to adjust the imaging up front is going to be part of that.

So to that end -
My overall budget by the time this is over - id like to keep everything under 2500. I have no intentions of spending that NOW, but I do have 1k to get started. I already have the PAC Amp Pro (not part of the 1k), so now I can think about the bones of the system.

So given the 1k, these are the options in considering (if you guys want to pitch in)

2-Way front, No rear. I can bi-amp this with a good 4 channel, then a mono block later on for subs, eventually leading to a DSP
vs

2-Way front with passive crossovers, Rear Coax, with a good 4 channel and mono block later on etc etc.

For those of you who have done either of these options, did you guys consider a 5 channel amp, or kept it traditional with 2 amps?

For the money and my budget, my default choice is the RD line in JL Amps, as they are the most accessible where I am. There is a dealer in town that is an ARC dealer, but I previously owned a X2 1100.5, and while it was powerful, cool, and just a solid AMP, the SQ/Quality I felt was below XD amps from JL, which was surprising. All of that is subjective of course.

Anyways, I appreciate any advice or alternate routes. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I totally agree. What Nuke said is the other part of what I am thinking as well. There are really 2 paths for me here. Getting a system that I can enjoy immediately, or being efficient at how I spend my money to make sure I have what I really want long term. And being able to adjust the imaging up front is going to be part of that.

So to that end -
My overall budget by the time this is over - id like to keep everything under 2500. I have no intentions of spending that NOW, but I do have 1k to get started. I already have the PAC Amp Pro (not part of the 1k), so now I can think about the bones of the system.

So given the 1k, these are the options in considering (if you guys want to pitch in)

2-Way front, No rear. I can bi-amp this with a good 4 channel, then a mono block later on for subs, eventually leading to a DSP
vs

2-Way front with passive crossovers, Rear Coax, with a good 4 channel and mono block later on etc etc.

For those of you who have done either of these options, did you guys consider a 5 channel amp, or kept it traditional with 2 amps?

For the money and my budget, my default choice is the RD line in JL Amps, as they are the most accessible where I am. There is a dealer in town that is an ARC dealer, but I previously owned a X2 1100.5, and while it was powerful, cool, and just a solid AMP, the SQ/Quality I felt was below XD amps from JL, which was surprising. All of that is subjective of course.

Anyways, I appreciate any advice or alternate routes. Thanks!
It's funny you mention the JL XD amps as that is exactly what I went with - I went with an XD600/6v2 (75W RMS x 6). Although, I thought that I read somewhere that the RD and XD amps are basically the same in terms of sound quality, so going with the RD should work well for you. I only bought the XD because that is the only one that comes in a 6-channel version. I wanted to keep things simple and have only one amp (a little easier in terms of wiring and takes up less space). I'm using it to power each of the 6 speakers in my 2018 GT. For a sub, I just went with an under-seat sub, which has it's own amp. However, that will only do so much - so if big bass is priority, that won't work for you (they won't go down to 20hz or anything).

Whether or not you want to have rear speakers or not is a personal decision. I tried the whole "front only" and I just couldn't come to "appreciate" that type of setup. For me, I needed some sound coming from the rear. I'm currently running my rear speakers in a band-pass setup where they only play from 80hz -> 900hz - but I'm still playing with that - not sure where it will end up. Having sound only come from the doors/dash just didn't do it for me - but most of the "real" SQ guys swear by fronts only.

In terms of $$, there are a lot of options. You can go with an amp that has DSP built in, which may save you some $$$ in the long-term, but would require more cash layout from the start. Separate DSP systems can really get expensive, but a miniDSP setup can be had for a reasonable cost if you want to add DSP later. Like I said, lots of options. In my case, since I had a factory amp, the DSR-1 was a cheap way to get integration and DSP for very little $$$, but obviously, that isn't an option in your case.

Another option is an AudioControl amp - they have a 6-channel amp that can be used for fronts and a sub all in a single amp - 4 channels for front and 2 channels combined for a sub - they are well respected and reasonably priced. You can get a 6-channel 1200W RMS amp from them for the price I paid for the 600W amp from JL Audio... I'm talking about their LC-6.1200 amp. If you order an OpenBox from Sonic, they usually send you a brand new one - all for $589. One of their guys actually told me that it's basically just a way to get a brand new amp for less - and they did send me a brand new amp - even though I ended up returning it and went with the JL Audio XD amp instead (never even opened the AudioControl). Long story, but I ended up getting both and had to choose one or the other. Went with the JL simply because the AudioControl had a bunch of features that I didn't need for my install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The RD to XD alignment is pretty much true. While talking to one of the guys at our local shop that I'm friendly with - he met JL reps at an event that confirmed this. SQ wise they are identical with the added benefit of the clip detection light. RD isn't mean to expand beyond its current offerings. XD is the line, for now at least, to have the wide variety of amplifiers for larger systems.

Now...on the note of amps. I posted a similar thread about amps to pick their brain, and one of the guys there, for the price, suggested I look at the pioneer GM-DX975 or 874.
I really wish I could listen to them because the price point almost doesn't make sense. They really are tempting.

Maybe someone here that runs them can weigh in.

Also, now you got me thinking about 6 channels amps. My wallet is going to hate your influence ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts