Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a New 2009 Challenger RT Plus and I also had a new 2012 Challenger with TA hood and upgraded to a new 2016 Challenger Shaker.
My next car should be a 2019 Challenger Hemi.
I really don't see much about the 2019s but I thought that there would be a change in design?OR are they waiting for the 2020s?
Myself if there is any change in 2020 it would be best to stay aways from the 2019s?....JS

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,130 Posts
last I had heard, no refresh or design change for 2019..it got pushed back possibly to 2021 and the rumor there is, that includes a complete body style revamp to smaller lighter with V6 turbo power, but thats just rumor. Hopefully someone with more current info will pipe in to confirm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be trading in my 2016 Challenger Shaker in late Aug or Sept of 2018 for a 2019 Challenger.
If there is NO change in 2020 then I will get a 2019
But if any change then I will wait for a 2020.
I just keep my cars for 3 years since the warranty ends...JS

·
Registered
193 Posts
Latest info from the insiders at Allpar is that we will see some changes in the form of model shuffling, poss some more HP from the 392 hemi (prob in SRT 392 cars), poss wider use of the Demon motor (non wide body Hellcat Demon) and maybe some cosmetic changes to plastics (grill, facias, head/taillights), but of course none of this is confirmed. All new cars should go into production in fall off 2020 as '21 cars. I wouldn't expect to see too much changed for '19 or'20 as I'm sure most of the development program money is going to the new '21 cars.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,369 Posts
This question got me to thinking:

No Mo Go?
In a few short years, it's very likely that our beloved 392 will be discontinued for ever. VERY, VERY likely. It's no longer if, but when. So I've been thinking about just what it will be like to own and how it will feel to drive a high powered turbo- (or super-) charged V6.

My first thought: it won't sound like the V8. Some day there will be very few of us left who even remember what it was like to drive a big inch V8. Even today, an ever-declining percentage of THIS forum have ever driven a genuine vintage muscle car with that big loping cam and an idle that sounded more staunch Harley than steady Hummm (think today's fuel injected SMOOTH idle). I miss hearing that idle. I wish I could push a button on the dashboard to induce that same idle in my 2015 SRT. Shaker owners would love it as the shaker scoop would indeed SHAKE !!! I loved the sound and the shake of those ancient motors. You heard it, you FELT it, the whole car was about that amazing motor. They handled terrible, the interiors were spartan, wind noise and road noise were pathetic, mileage was ridiculous, but OH THAT MOTOR !!! Nothing like it. Anyway, you get the idea.

Second, I wonder will it accelerate the same? I'm thinking YES. It would seem to me that thousands of new Challenger and Charger customers would demand this. We all know that a boosted V6 can make huge power: that shouldn't be a problem. But I have my doubts that Demon power will ever be available again once those monster motors are moth-balled.

Third, will the V6 have the same incredible engine braking that the 6.4 has? I love downshifting; more often than not, the only time I use my brakes is when I need to slow from 5 mph to a full stop. Which is funny because my poor 6 piston brembos are feeling unloved and unneeded. But I'm quite sure that the new V6s won't be able to match the engine braking ability of the 392. Turbos and superchargers have absolutely NO effect on engine braking.

Times are-a-changing. I believe we're living in the last days of the V8 engine. Like it or not, soon enough we'll see the last one roll off the assembly lines. Makes me kind of sad. But ya know what? My Challenger has 485 reasons to help me get over it.

I'm good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would guess keep the NA V6 or go to a turbo 4 banger for the SXT, TT V6 in the R/T and the V8 for the SRT?

I don't like turbo 4's in pony/muscle cars - it's the reason I ditched my EB Mustang after owing it 10 months. They're fun when you're in boost, but when you're not it's just a wheezing, struggling 4 cylinder.

I plan to drive my R/T until the last gas station closes, anyway, so.....

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,369 Posts
I would guess keep the NA V6 or go to a turbo 4 banger for the SXT, TT V6 in the R/T and the V8 for the SRT?

I don't like turbo 4's in pony/muscle cars - fun when you're in boost, but when you're not it's just a wheezing, struggling 4 cylinder.
Metal head,
You're kinda new around here, and that's fine, welcome aboard. Everybody was "new" at one point. But your wording here borders on genius. Hope somebody who actually pushes buttons at Daddydodge is listening.

Gary

·
Premium Member
9,660 Posts
There’s a new sheriff in town, the epa is being run differently as well. Screw the tree huggers.
All these electric cars, how does one drive far when they don’t want to stop at 300 miles?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
There’s a new sheriff in town, the epa is being run differently as well. Screw the tree huggers.
All these electric cars, how does one drive far when they don’t want to stop at 300 miles?
Studies show that very few people ever drive that far in one sitting. I know I haven't driven that far in at least 20 years. If I'm going that far I'm flying. Certainly some people still do but there will always be fuel cars to rent for long trips.

Realistically battery technology is soaring so who knows that capabilities in 5/10/20 years.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Studies show that very few people ever drive that far in one sitting. I know I haven't driven that far in at least 20 years. If I'm going that far I'm flying. Certainly some people still do but there will always be fuel cars to rent for long trips.

Realistically battery technology is soaring so who knows that capabilities in 5/10/20 years.
What studies?

I mean, few people ever have to travel more than 100 miles a day.

In 5/10/20 years it will still be a soulless boring bar of soap, regardless of whether it can travel to the moon and back or not.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody - Triple Nickel
42 Posts
I will be trading in my 2016 Challenger Shaker in late Aug or Sept of 2018 for a 2019 Challenger.
If there is NO change in 2020 then I will get a 2019
But if any change then I will wait for a 2020.
I just keep my cars for 3 years since the warranty ends...JS
Here is an article that was in Motor Authority a few days ago:

Next Dodge Challenger, Charger to ride on Maserati platform, arrive in 2021?

I have seen several sources that say there will be a refresh in 2019 with the next generation coming in 2021. The 2021 will be based on a Maserati vs the Alfa platform that was previously announced. If you research the Maserati it appears that they are going with a larger platform than originally planned.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
You got that right! Something tells me the new big guy likes the AMERICAN MUSCLE. I KNOW he loves the first word.
I feel so much better about the future of our cars. We are literally gushing oil. Around the world. NOT plugging my car in.

·
Registered
397 Posts

I know I just drove 900 miles a day for 2 days 2x times this year alone. I am not the normal guy though as I live in the middle of nowhere and the entire rest of my family live 1700 miles away. My wifes family lives about 800 miles away at the farthest away so I drive a lot of highway miles if we plan on seeing any family members in a year. It is nice to drive a car that is as comfy as the challenger when you put on those types of miles.

And as far as batteries go for electric cars. There are already stretches of road(experimental of course) that charge your electric car as you drive if you have a newer car that supports that kind of charging. Once all the roads are built like that EV cars will never run out of "gas". Considering the average road is rebuilt every 15-20 years the entire US could be that way very quickly if that would be something that actually gets out of the experimental phase.

Ron

·
Registered
352 Posts
Here is an article that was in Motor Authority a few days ago:

Next Dodge Challenger, Charger to ride on Maserati platform, arrive in 2021?

I have seen several sources that say there will be a refresh in 2019 with the next generation coming in 2021. The 2021 will be based on a Maserati vs the Alfa platform that was previously announced. If you research the Maserati it appears that they are going with a larger platform than originally planned.
We should expect a refresh in 2019, FCA has been on a 4 year cadence ('08/'11/'15).

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
That would have cancelled my trip to South Carolina this year if all I had was an electric vehicle. I did use the motorbike for this trip. 650+ miles down & 650+ miles back. And two of the four days I was down there I rode well over 500 miles. Total mileage was over 2,500. I doubt that Motel 6 would have let me plug in to recharge.

I'll keep my gasoline powered vehicles thank you. :D

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
And as far as batteries go for electric cars. There are already stretches of road(experimental of course) that charge your electric car as you drive if you have a newer car that supports that kind of charging. Once all the roads are built like that EV cars will never run out of "gas". Considering the average road is rebuilt every 15-20 years the entire US could be that way very quickly if that would be something that actually gets out of the experimental phase.

Ron
I'm skeptical of that - looking at this past winter, the states (in in Pacific NW) has such bad potholes from ice / freezing rain we had this past winter...driving was more an exercise of avoid potholes and driving at night was really risky.

I had to resort to mainly looking 10-20' ahead to watch out for potholes and large chunks of asphalt that were breaking out of the potholes as traffic ran through them.

I visited Michigan this summer and the interstates were full of potholes there as well.

Many of the states pretty much stated "we're doing what we can" and it took 9+ months to pave or repair the some of the roads and there's still some stretches not finished...and we're heading into the rainy season.

Infrastructure has been neglected for many years around in the US. And the recurring complaint is gas tax revenues are falling - due to more efficient vehicles, hybrid vehicles and electric vehicles.

Hit a pothole at 60+ mph and all sorts of bad things come along with that. Especially with 20" wheels, which many vehicles have now.

With the poor level of maintenance going on now, imagine trying to implement in-ground charging embedded in roadways. If starting today, it would probably take 20 years to do, at the rate things are going.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I'm skeptical of that - looking at this past winter, the states (in in Pacific NW) has such bad potholes from ice / freezing rain we had this past winter...driving was more an exercise of avoid potholes and driving at night was really risky.

I had to resort to mainly looking 10-20' ahead to watch out for potholes and large chunks of asphalt that were breaking out of the potholes as traffic ran through them.

I visited Michigan this summer and the interstates were full of potholes there as well.

Many of the states pretty much stated "we're doing what we can" and it took 9+ months to pave or repair the some of the roads and there's still some stretches not finished...and we're heading into the rainy season.

Infrastructure has been neglected for many years around in the US. And the recurring complaint is gas tax revenues are falling - due to more efficient vehicles, hybrid vehicles and electric vehicles.

Hit a pothole at 60+ mph and all sorts of bad things come along with that. Especially with 20" wheels, which many vehicles have now.

With the poor level of maintenance going on now, imagine trying to implement in-ground charging embedded in roadways. If starting today, it would probably take 20 years to do, at the rate things are going.

Amen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think hybrids and plug-in hyrbids will be the common car going forward until battery tech evolves to the point where recharging your battery takes as long as filling up a gasoline vehicle at the gas station. I just don't see electric cars being fully viable before that.

My wife drives a 2016 Sonata Hybrid. It gets a legit 40mpg in town and 50mpg on the interstate. I fill up my Challenger weekly, she fills up the Sonata 1.5 times a month.

Ford announced a little while ago that the S650 Mustang will have a hybrid model. Even our beloved muscle cars aren't immune to the inexorable march of progress.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I think hybrids and plug-in hyrbids will be the common car going forward until battery tech evolves to the point where recharging your battery takes as long as filling up a gasoline vehicle at the gas station. I just don't see electric cars being fully viable before that.

My wife drives a 2016 Sonata Hybrid. It gets a legit 40mpg in town and 50mpg on the interstate. I fill up my Challenger weekly, she fills up the Sonata 1.5 times a month.

Ford announced a little while ago that the S650 Mustang will have a hybrid model. Even our beloved muscle cars aren't immune to the inexorable march of progress.
Good, dinosaurs are cool, but they're extinct and I don't get to enjoy them.

I don't want muscle cars going down that same path.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts