Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed in the last 2K miles that my GT Plus Perf Pkg just isn't as stable as it was, seems to be bouncing where it didn't before and overall just seems "unsettled". Prior to this, it was very confidence inspiring and stable, already pulling 1.15 g's cornering. It sure feels like the Bilsteins are dying. Anyone else had this problem? So far honestly I've had a lot of little "quality problems" and I'm starting to worry about what else is going to take a dump on me.

What are the odds Dodge will replace the shocks under warranty if they aren't actively leaking, etc.?

If they don't I'm thinking about Konis - any thoughts on them in the Challenger?

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,479 Posts
Consult your owner’s manual and warranty booklet.

I’m thinking they should fall within your 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Bilsteins the best there are. Got em on everything I own. Been on the 69 for 10 years, about 70k. I’d look elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I've noticed in the last 2K miles that my GT Plus Perf Pkg just isn't as stable as it was, seems to be bouncing where it didn't before and overall just seems "unsettled". Prior to this, it was very confidence inspiring and stable, already pulling 1.15 g's cornering. It sure feels like the Bilsteins are dying. Anyone else had this problem? So far honestly I've had a lot of little "quality problems" and I'm starting to worry about what else is going to take a dump on me.

What are the odds Dodge will replace the shocks under warranty if they aren't actively leaking, etc.?

If they don't I'm thinking about Konis - any thoughts on them in the Challenger?
Shocks "dying" at 28K miles is in my experience unknown. (My experience over the years is no shock trouble in 28K miles to 317K miles. Except for my first car with "struts" which needed some attention I have not had one bad shock.)

While rare more common is a shock will develop a leak.

If you suspect the shocks are bad have some one drive your car while you follow in another car -- as a passenger so you can observe/film your car -- and see if you can spot the signs of bad shocks. The car porpoising after encountering a dip in the road. Or a wheel/tire going up and and down like the tire is running over rail road ties.

In some cases a bad shock can be diagnosed by a bounce test. This involves pushing down on the corner of the car then letting up and repeating this to get that corner of the car going up and down. Then stop. The car's motion should stop almost immediately. If it does not this can be a sign of a bad shock.

If you can capture the symptoms of a bad shock or shocks on camera or can demonstrate with a bounce test a shock is not up to par you stand a chance of getting the shock or shocks replaced under warranty.

As another poster noted the car comes with Bilstein shocks. One of the top if not the top brand of shock. If one or more shocks are bad I'd get them replaced under warranty with OE hardware.

While Koni shocks are good shocks -- used to run then on my motorcycles -- unless the factory shocks even in good working condition proved inadequate -- which is highly unlikely or we'd be flooded with posts of people with the same complaint as you have -- I can't see just switching shocks because you think the factory shocks are "dying" at 28K miles.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. While I do think of the Bilsteins as "good" the Koni's are better. I don't need to ride in another car to watch mine when it's obvious to me that it has the same type of lateral instabilty that my '10 had when the Bilsteins on it were worn out. I spoke to FCA and they said shocks weren't covered, but I called the dealership that replaced the radio head unit, just got in the new door panels to replace the discolored ones (and will also be replacing the drivers seat skin that's coming apart), and they said they would check out the shocks/handling issues on Monday when I take it in for the door panel replacement. We'll see what happens. It almost feels like worn out bushings or possibly something broken in the suspension, but no odd noises. The car also bounces where it didn't before, which is another reason I suspect the shocks. We'll see what happens Monday.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Thanks for the replies. While I do think of the Bilsteins as "good" the Koni's are better. I don't need to ride in another car to watch mine when it's obvious to me that it has the same type of lateral instabilty that my '10 had when the Bilsteins on it were worn out. I spoke to FCA and they said shocks weren't covered, but I called the dealership that replaced the radio head unit, just got in the new door panels to replace the discolored ones (and will also be replacing the drivers seat skin that's coming apart), and they said they would check out the shocks/handling issues on Monday when I take it in for the door panel replacement. We'll see what happens. It almost feels like worn out bushings or possibly something broken in the suspension, but no odd noises. The car also bounces where it didn't before, which is another reason I suspect the shocks. We'll see what happens Monday.
If the dealer has agreed to look into this shock complaint that is about all one could hope for. Especially after FCA said shocks were not covered. 'course, the dealer can still look at the shocks but if it finds a problem what FCA said still applies -- should apply -- and new shocks won't be provided by the factory they'll have to be provided by you. This can mean you also have to pay for the diagnostic time and the labor to remove the bad shocks and install the new shocks. But if the shocks are bad they are bad and I can't blame you for wanting this addressed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts