Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Red Eye Widebody
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Yeah, Destroying the Differential! Not that I want to - in fact very much don't want to!

The question came up when my neighbor, who has a 2017 Hellcat, also wanted to change his differential fluid (at about 8,000 miles). He had previously installed a differential brace, while my Red Eye is stock. His differential brace covers the top hole of his differential, can't unscrew the fill hole with it on, so we'd have to remove that - heck with it - he decided not to change his fluid right now.

But it begs the question? Is a stock Red Eye at risk for destroying the rear differential during max power starts? Well, this video is pretty clear about it and it seems the answer is yes - even with the Demon drivetrain.

Probably with no burn out to warm tires and starting with just accelerator pedal (not launch control) a Red Eye wouldn't blow the differential. But with better than stock tires?

Any rumors or confirmed information about what the Demonology video guy says he'd heard about Dodge maybe authorizing a differential brace that would keep the Hellcat drivetrain warranty?

Best,

Finface

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,784 Posts
I think the majority of the issue in the video is because of grip on track while drag racing. The car hooks too well, and that puts a strain on the whole drive train

A Guy

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why changing the fluids in 8000 m still under warranty
It's a good question. He certainly doesn't have to do it. We ran our cars hard for about 3 hours at NCM in a HPDE event this fall, and he's taken his car to the test and tune night at the local drag strip 3 times. I thought I read some advice to change diff. fluid after so little as 4 hours of hard curvy track driving. I can't find that reference now so maybe I imagined it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wheel hop will kill a diff. The braces prevent, or at least limit that.

FWIW, the good braces (P4D) have access to drain/fill.
Landoawd,

Thanks for the diff. brace company name. I found this.

In the picture it doesn't show access to the lower drain hole, but the verbiage says it has it. Also says this photo is of a prototype.

Not cheap, usual disclaimer about putting one on voiding a warranty (at least for differential failure). But looks interesting.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
There was talk of a factory brace for the Demon to minimize the threat of this occurring during launch, but as of yet, no recall or mention of a fix for this issue has come my way. From my understanding, warranty can be voided when a aftermarket brace is installed, or not running the the factory Nitto tire.
Apparently, small fractures in the housing can be caused by wheel hop as mentioned and letting off the throttle abruptly, rather than easing off the gas at the end of the burnout, which shocks the drive train. The stage is now set for a major malfunction when under a high stress load. A factory fix for this issue sure would be nice...

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the majority of the issue in the video is because of grip on track while drag racing. The car hooks too well, and that puts a strain on the whole drive train

A Guy
Hooks "too" well ? You'd think those Dodge guys would've considered that little tidbit during R&D.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
People also overlook when doing a burnout and chopping off the gas pedal abruptly. This makes the tires go from spinning at an extreme high speed to a dead hook almost instantaneously. It mush easier on the entire driveline to ease out of the throttle when finishing your burnout.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Apparently, small fractures in the housing can be caused by wheel hop as mentioned and letting off the throttle abruptly, rather than easing off the gas at the end of the burnout, which shocks the drive train. The stage is now set for a major malfunction when under a high stress load. A factory fix for this issue sure would be nice...
^This x 1000

And yes, from what I've been told either a non-demon tire or diff brace WILL void warranty if the diff lets go.

I also understand track prep is a major factor. Improper use of launch control + improper track prep = BAD

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the Per4mance DIR differential brace and plan on installing it in two weeks. I've watched the video a couple of times and it shouldn't be too tough. I'll comment in this thread how it goes. Won't drive the car for a road test though until late March or April - salty roads.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, I see that today is my one year anniversary for joining this forum. I've gotten lots of great advice from members. 🙂

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,784 Posts

A Guy :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts