Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I read somewhere that it was Barrett Jackson himself who bought it. Probably to hype his own business. Those auctions have bee ruining the car market since they went on TV. Every schmuck thinks their fake SS or rusted R/T is worth $250,000 now.
While I can’t say who bought the car, I can say it was not “Barret Jackson himself.” The company is named Barrett-Jackson after Russ Jackson, Nellie Jackson and Tom Barrett the founders.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The first couple of days at Mecham, there are usually some good buys. It all depends on how many interested buyers too of course. BJ seems to want to position itself as higher end cars, even though you see $million cars at Mecham too. People just get carried away at auctions, and think because it's being auctioned, it's worth more I guess. Buy you can order a Redeye, and what options you want, so why everyone was so hot for that one...

A Guy

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i think its has to do with bragging rights. i knew a guy who bought a 70 cuda from BJ in AZ. car was nothing special in the world of high end cuda's..mostly original 440, pistol grip, red on black.
the only thing he seemed to cling to when talking about it, was "this is a barrett car" and how it was on TV and all that.
then there are guys who go to BJ, Mecums, RM's and others and pay cash buying 10-12 cars in 2 days, perhaps they dont have time to shop dealers and dont care about getting the best price.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I was at the BJ auction in Phoenix in maybe the mid-1990s. If I remember correctly, you have to settle up with cash, check, or wire transfer at the end of the day, that's what surprised me. Having access to $100,000 is one thing, most people spend that on a house. But having that much loose cash around is another thing. The whole event reminded me of a country club/golf course for rich white people. I change my own oil.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I like Mecum alot better then Barret Jackson...I just love watching because I love old cars. But yes, I often do marvel at the prices for alot of these cars...the collector car auction business has pretty much priced most of these cars out of our league...the common man. Oh well. I still wonder one day if it's all going to go bust...in a big way. Guess we'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Funny here in our area the hot rods 3 window coupe, 5 windows , high boys, etc
The owners are in there late 70s 80s these cars are babied, but there not modern day engines
Some of f these hot rods are pretty fast
There are so many for sale they can not sell them

Attachments

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,346 Posts
That Hellcat has cloth interior. My local dealer quoted me $74,500 out the door for a Redeye Widebody Hellcat with Leather Interior and 3.09's. That's more car for $33K less. They must serve powerful drinks in Scottsdale.
They should have gone to Chapman Dodge in Scottsdale. I saw a wide body Redeye there in their showroom for $85K last week...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Gila- great color. The orange and black reminds me of The Judge. Hugger Orange. Of course around here in the Police State I'd get stopped every week with that paint.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Funny here in our area the hot rods 3 window coupe, 5 windows , high boys, etc
The owners are in there late 70s 80s these cars are babied, but there not modern day engines
Some of f these hot rods are pretty fast
There are so many for sale they can not sell them
Cars like these are really at a tough spot in the hobby. They are at least cooler than the original cars of this era, which will be lucky to even have caretakers willing to take them on in the next few decades.

·
Vendor
12,220 Posts
Was watching Barrett Jackson, and a new Hellcat Redeye, 8 miles, no rear seats, sold for $107,000??? What am I missing, you can order one yourself? A fool and his money??

https://www.dodge.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=2C3CDZL96KH502658

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/2019-DODGE-CHALLENGER-SRT-HELLCAT-REDEYE-226692

A Guy
>:)

in stock and ready for delivery

https://www.stevewhitemotors.net/new/Dodge/2019-Dodge-Challenger-Newton-NC-c0f6bbd50a0e0aea76574f95e14a4972.htm

$81990.00,

$3175.00 below MSRP

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Cars like these are really at a tough spot in the hobby. They are at least cooler than the original cars of this era, which will be lucky to even have caretakers willing to take them on in the next few decades.
That’s for sure , unless they are really exceptional no one looking to by them
They are fun to drive / ride in , Our monthly cruzin there be 2 dozen of them .
With at least 6 or more for sale

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,346 Posts
Gila- great color. The orange and black reminds me of The Judge. Hugger Orange. Of course around here in the Police State I'd get stopped every week with that paint.
Thanks! BTW, I had a '68 GTO back in the day, but it wasn't the Judge, but then, it wasn't stock either when I got done with it... :grin2:

·
Registered
398 Posts
The 1968-1972 GM A-frame is my favorite, a true muscle car. That is a mid-size car with a decent back seat. I was at the Union Grove, Wisconsin dragway several years back for the 50 years in racing weekend in honor of Arnie Beswick. Several of his previous cars were there, it was a great event. My fave is the doorslammer Judge. I like the funny car Judge also, but I don't know if that one is still in existence.

GTOs and Chevelles epitomize the true muscle car to me.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Luke- what does the Redeye get you that the regular Hellcat does not have, performance wise? I can't keep up with all the variations.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I think the BJ auctions are all crazy rich people with more money than they know what to do with.
There will always be people like that, the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer. It's the way it has always been and the way it will always be.
For my broke azz I like my fully loaded SXT Plus! Plenty fast for me! Best car I've ever owned! It's for sale no auction needed 1st $75,000 takes it. Full tank of gas included!

·
Vendor
12,220 Posts
Luke- what does the Redeye get you that the regular Hellcat does not have, performance wise? I can't keep up with all the variations.
797 horsepower versus 717 horsepower......>:)

the new Hellcats are currently rated at 717, according to FCA, due to better breathing hood and air box, plus some additional tuning....

·
Vendor
12,220 Posts
for example a pretty basic Hellcat, if there is such a thing, since some options are automatically included whether you want to or not, MSRP is $70,315.00 and dealer cost is $67,719.00, your price $67,719.00 + taxes, title and registration. Nothing else, no documentation fees or nitrogen fees etc, You would be amazed at what some dealers add on the bottom line, WE DONT......?

·
Vendor
12,220 Posts
another example, wide body Redeye, MSRP is $86,410.00 and dealer cost is $82,024.00, your price $82,024.00 + taxes, title and registration. Nothing else, no documentation fees or nitrogen fees etc.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts